It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Straught edge gangs-No drugs, drinking, promiscuous sex but commit murder and violence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Yet again I am embarressed by my generation...

Today i was talking with a friend about her friend who lives in Reno. she was telling me this story about how her son got attacked by a "straight edge" gang. What was he doing....smoking a cigarette. His attackers beat him and then took a knife and cut him from the corner of his mouth to his ear....gruesome.

What is straight edge you may ask. It is a supposed movement of kids choosing not to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, use mind-altering drugs, and reframe from promiscuous sex. Most of the kids are white males and females from middle- upper class families who listen to Straight Edge Metal. There is nothing wrong with that.

But now they are forming into gangs who commit violent attacks, vandalize, and even murder. Reno, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah has even labeled tham as gangs since they started engaging with other more prominent gangs.

My question is what the hell sparked this?
What are middle-upper class white kids doing in gangs...what psychological reason is there.

Frankly I'm disappointed and embarressed in my generation for claiming to such a ridiculous, radical, and pathetic contradiction

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Here is also A video from fox news about this entire situation. It offers a father who's son was murdered by the gang, a straight edge gang affiliate, and a police officer.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
When it gets bad enough, this is the reason everyone will go along with the NWO. People will beg to have CCTV in every corner and corridor at all times.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't think this "straight edge" gang will spread very far. Do you honestly think that when they bump into another competitive gang that they will survive? They've attacked people, but they haven't made enemies with another (real) gang yet, so I'd like to see what would happen.

Are they going to tell the Mexicans in LA to stop selling drugs? Or the Puerto Ricans of the Bronx? Africans of Detroit? Seriously?

No, they'll get a taste of reality soon enough. . .

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Straight edge metal? Oh my God, it sounds like these dudes are a pack of hXc, Slipknot listening school kids.

Seriously, I wish I could only meet this gang face to face so I could force feed them their deathcore collection. These people aren't gang members. These people are just pasty delinquent schoolkids with a crappy taste in music.

"im so unergrund n hXc cos u lisen 2 hip hop nd i lisen 2 BULLIT 4 MY VALINTYN!"

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Being Straight Edge myself this is stupid. The whole point of the straight edge lifestyle is about going against the the normal "bad" habits of society. Thinking like this is goes completely against the grain of what the movement stands for.

But don't get the idea that Straight Edger's are all "middle class kids who listen to hardcore music" because in all reality it is a choice of health much like a vegan would choose.

I'm just hoping this doesn't go any farther and soil the true motivations behind the movement.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Wow, I feel so out of touch, when did the straight edge punk scene of my late teens early 20's go metal. Gang? That goes against every thing I know about straight edge. *Dang posers. Back in the day we were all poor kids or or middle class kids who had issues, ya, know the "dad beats me and mom is a closet alcoholic." No one had a problem with someone who smoked unless they claimed they "got" the music, and really had no clue what it was about.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Ahh.. skinheads in training. White, upper-middle class kids who feel threatened. Lashing out at those who don't fit their idea of Right. Nice, remember kids are the future

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
I don't think this "straight edge" gang will spread very far. Do you honestly think that when they bump into another competitive gang that they will survive? They've attacked people, but they haven't made enemies with another (real) gang yet, so I'd like to see what would happen.

Are they going to tell the Mexicans in LA to stop selling drugs? Or the Puerto Ricans of the Bronx? Africans of Detroit? Seriously?

No, they'll get a taste of reality soon enough. . .

I really doubt they have the cojones to do that. And i doubt these hicks' twisted ideals could spread out of their small inbred towns. (no offense to the OPs friend). This is seriously the absolute stupidest thing I have ever heard of. A bunch of hypocritical white kids going around making lives miserable... with the basis in not smoking cigarettes or having fun??? I'd be laughing if it wasn't so pathetic.

(I hate referencing tv shows, but since this has shown a new level of stupidity in this country, I might as well) It's kinda like that south park episode where the 'banana republic' kids turn into 'vamps', and they denounce the goths for smoking because "it's bad for you".

I really hope they experience promiscuous sex in jail. I have more respect for the KKK.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by badkarma90]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
These kids are so retarded. They make some kind of mission out of not drinking, like it makes them better than everyone else. They form little clubs for it, it's probably the lamest thing I've ever seen.

Eh

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
Being Straight Edge myself this is stupid. The whole point of the straight edge lifestyle is about going against the the normal "bad" habits of society. Thinking like this is goes completely against the grain of what the movement stands for.

But don't get the idea that Straight Edger's are all "middle class kids who listen to hardcore music" because in all reality it is a choice of health much like a vegan would choose.

I'm just hoping this doesn't go any farther and soil the true motivations behind the movement.

I'd say the "bad" habits of society is the continual use of violence.

And I'm not sure a lifestyle choice is much of a movement.... I've never heard of this til now, and I've lived in D.C., Chicago, and Tucson.

Seems like just another reason for people to get on the high horse. And isn't that what causes violence? Again, that is the real bad habit of humanity. In my own humble opinion, of course.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Just before everyone goes "I hate straight edge kids" I would like to say that there are militant and non-militant types.

The militant are basically idiots that would try and burn down a pub, more than likely because they've had a bad experience on alcohol/ or a bad experience due to someone being on alcohol (Or smokes, drugs, promiscuous sex)

The non-militant (like my cousin who is a wonderful guy) Take it easy, they can speak to someone having a cigarette without mentioning that it's "The enemy" and use the motto "It's your decision" quite a lot.

I don't know what the situation is like in America, but here in Australia it's pretty tame. Not all straight-edge "gangs" are bad, just remember that!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
And now I feel like a dunce for having slipknot songs on my ipod.

Another day, another thing ruined.

excuse me, im going to go hang myself

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This is such a curious phenomenon – but not really. Those that have such a glorified self-image of their own conceptions of purity or ‘holiness’ have always felt that the need to lash out against those that do not subscribe to the same.

Although we’ve seen this manifestation in various guises many times before, it’s just sort of strange how it’s no longer anchored to a definable dogma or ideology – just a vague concept of righteousness. It will be interesting to see if this meme spreads. It does seem to have fertile ground in a spiritual vacuum such as exists now.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
What they did with the cut has implications in prison. A cut from the mouth to the ear means 'you spoke about what you heard', and is the mark of a rat.

I am not saying that is their intention, but it leaves an alternative to why it was done.

Terrible anyway and I hope they all learn the real meaning of what they did in person.

[edit on 10/11/09 by spirit_horse]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Straight Edge you say......

Might aswell just call yourselves 'Hitler Youth'........

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I read your post and now I must share my story with you.

We have a straight edge gang in our area in Michigan that hang around all the local metal/hardcore shows. It's gotten to the point where there's so many of them that it's not worth going to concerts anymore.

A few years ago, at one of these local shows (which were held in community centers and the such), my girlfriend had one of those little plastic squirtguns filled with alcohol. Her friends and her were taking turns squirting it into each other's mouths.

When a few members of the straight edge gang saw my girlfriend's friend using it, they took the squirt gun away from her. When she asked for it back, they broke her jaw and sent her to the hospital.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SlyFox_79

Oh man!

No drugs, drinking and sex, but murder and violence are OK?

What these gangs are doing is shockingly wrong.

You know what? A lot of white, so-called upper-class kids are the most screwed up. Because their parents ignore them - the parents are too busy out there making money and being horrible.

Second thoughts - no wonder these kids are horrible.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nick112

Nick,

I am horrified.

Why aren't the cops moving in on these people?

Drinking alcohol is worse than murder? I don't think so.

A lot of these gang members must be related to the so-called top people. Why don't these people pay attention to their kids? Because they are too busy making money and putting everyone else down.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Rather than tying murder to any particular group or gang, religion, organization, movement or ideal, why not just call him what he is: A Murderer.

Btw: People are pretty dumb to always think they cannot be X without beating Y.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by Skyfloating]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join