It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Stranger(CCHWC)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
It was a cold-dark night, and outside the bar, the street was barren of any human activity. Highly inebriated and disheveled, Wayne, made his way down the dark alley adjacent to the tavern, which led to the park, where he would be sleeping tonight. At one time he thought of himself as a god, and the atypical master of the universe. Money was pouring in from business deals, real estate, stocks, and other financial vehicles to wealth. He was a virtual dynamo when it came to business. However, he didn’t get to his elevated status by playing fair or being decent to his customers or colleagues. He was downright ruthless, and his gifted oratory allowed him to ever so gently push the knife into someone’s back without them knowing.

As the unwritten rule to business, states, “Always be closing!” and he did just that, regardless of the outcome for his clients. He would sacrifice his own mother to make a deal and increase his bottom line. Many of his investment prospects were shoddy in nature and straddled the gray area of legality. That was of no concern to him and it was quite mystifying how he was able to sway concerned clients into going along with his schemes. He gave them the instant gratification they required, and that was all.

In other words, he took more than he gave. When the dust settled, he was the one depositing money in the bank, as the unfortunate, lost everything. Complaints were levied, but he was able to talk his way out of being backed into corners his indiscretions might have caused. He would tell angry people, that the sour taste was just business, and it would pass. With failure after failure, he was still able to profit, quite comfortably, regardless, of the reasons for failure. Everyone was making money hand-over-fist at the time, and irregularities went unnoticed, while things were prosperous. However, there was a correction, and the economy took a tumble. In the commotion, he was put under the magnifying glass by the Feds, and a judgment was decreed against him as a result. Everything got liquidated, and in a matter of months, it was all gone, to be distributed among his victims. Bankruptcy followed and the "Mark of Cain," was placed upon him in relation to doing business in the future.

His wife left with the kids, and he just narrowly escaped prison time. However, the insatiable thirst was still with him. Greed kept him going, it kept him warm when out in the cold, clothed when naked, fed when starving, and many other personal forms of gratification. It was not the millions of dollars, made almost effortlessly, the luxury cars, the beautiful wife, posh vacations, or other luxuries his success afforded. What made him whole, was the act of conquering his competition and customers, while satisfying his insatiable greed. He got a sadistic pleasure from it.

His actions would often leave them completely drained of any human dignity or self respect. He was often referred to as a vulture, parasite, or a bloodsucker. When finished with an unlucky stiff that crossed his path, he had no problem tossing them on the wood pile, along with others from his past, to burn. He had no sympathy for the suffering of others, and the results had no bearing on his conscience. He thought it was just business at work and capitalism taking its course. His current predicament left him bitter and angry with humanity. He was now as defenseless as those he preyed upon.

Looking down the alley, and beaten at his own game, there was nothing but darkness, with subtle light scattered throughout. He heard a cat knock over some trash cans and barking dogs in the distance. The alley looked very forbidding, but it was the way to the park. He continued on his way. Now, the alley, was as silent as death. He felt like the last man on earth. From behind, he felt a subtle tap on his shoulder, which was followed by a chill that caused the hairs on his neck to rise.

"Buddy, you happen to have a light?” said a man who happened to appear out of nowhere, wearing black clothing. His suit glistened as if it were a fine silk material. He looked as if he was on his way to a funeral. When the man stepped into the light, he had cold dark eyes, long black hair, a large nose, slightly pointed ears, and a beard. He was tall and rather gaunt in appearance.

“Where did you come from?” asked Wayne. “I followed you out of the bar. This is my route home as well,” said the man, in reply. “Oh, okay,” said Wayne, slurring words together, and rummaging for his lighter, while mistakenly, showing a gun in his waist that was supposed to be concealed under his jacket. He found the lighter and handed it to the man, now standing before him.

He took it from Wayne and lit his cigarette, inhaling and exhaling, with satisfaction. “Thank you sir,” said the man. Smoking his cigarette, he began to speak again, “I overheard your conversation to the bartender from earlier, tough break.”

“Yeah, I lost everything, crap economy.” said Wayne, with anger boiling. “I noticed you had a gun in your waist? You wouldn’t be thinking about using it on someone or yourself?” asked the man, with interest across his face.

“What concern is it, of you, friend?” asked Wayne. “Just curious, that’s all.” said the man in response, while still enjoying the cigarette. “Perhaps, you should use it on yourself? End your existence, why allow your earthly suffering to bring satisfaction and closure to those that may have been your victims?” said the man, now blowing smoke rings as he exhaled.

“You know, buddy, I have thought about that, extensively, given my recent chain of events, but I have, yet, to stomach the courage,” said Wayne in response. “Why not? You are now the lowest form of humanity, and why burden yourself with working all over again to get what they stole from you? It is much easier to end it right now, and leave this insanity behind. Unburden yourself with toils of this world. When you are dead, the trials of this world can’t hurt you anymore. Let go.” said the man.

His oratory was very persuasive and there was a warmth in his delivery. “You know, why not, to hell with this rat race called Earth! I got in when the getting was good, and now it is time to get out. Life is just one big business deal, and I am closing my account,” said Wayne, as he removed the nine millimeter from his belt and stuck it in his mouth, and abruptly, pulled the trigger. With a loud crack, his body fell to the ground. The man waited for a moment, taking the last drag of his cigarette and flicked it away.

In an instant, Wayne’s immortal soul appeared and looked down at his dead body. He was now filled with invigoration, and the pain was gone. He turned around and saw the man still standing there, looking at him. “Well, my friend, time to come with me.” said the man, as he reached into his pocket and removed an ornate little box, which looked ancient. “Wait, how can you still see me. I just took my own life?” said Wayne. “I am not of this world, but of another, and I am here to ferry you to the other side and the paradise you have earned for yourself.” said the man, as he slowly opened the box. When the box was completely open, an unshakable force pulled Wayne in.

The man slammed the box close, and held it to his ear. He heard the sounds of screams and agony coming from within. After hearing the sounds of misfortune, he grinned, and returned the box to his pocket. Walking down the dark alley and whistling a song, he thought, “This game only gets easier with each new age, and these monkeys think they are more sophisticated than their ancestors of old, ha! Its as easy as a child catching insects.”

[edit on 9-11-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Wow! This is a story I can see myself telling around a campfire, when it's "my turn" for a story! Very, very scary.

Extremely well written, too. I think you have a real contender here in the contest! Good luck!.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thanks for the kind remarks, Lady. I am glad you enjoyed it.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Great story, Jake51. I loved the inclusion of an age old soul collector in modern times. You have encouraged me to procrastinate on submitting my next entry, as it seems to have worked well for you!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I am glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps, procrastinating is a good thing, but not all the time

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

wow Jakes51, your story gave me chills. That means its a great story. I wish you luck in the contest. There are so many good writers here on ATS and you are one of them. Best wishes, Magantice

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Great story!!!!
I think it's a very fitting ending to such a horrible character!!!!!! Great Job!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yeah, I thought he deserved it as well. I guess my yarn of fiction has a little social commentary peppered in for good measure. I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

top topics

join