It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.1 Quake Hits Yellowstone Caldera

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hi all,

I thought it was worth posting this 3.1 magnitude quake at the Volatile Yellowstone Caldera.

Its not a big quake on world standards, but it is notable for here. It comes at a reasonably quiet spell for this area.

[img]
[/img]

quake.utah.edu...

There was a 3.9 quake back in december 2009, but nothing has been this size since. This 3.9 took place during a bizarre swarm of activity that certainly made all the scientists take notice.

Its by no means the biggest ever quake to hit the region though. -

The most devastating earthquake in recent history in the Yellowstone region occurred on August 17, 1959, when a magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit

I remember watching a show on TV a while back about the Caldera and they reckon anything over 3.0 in magnitude is dangerous considering the ground is expanding here all the time. This baby could burst its bubble at any time!!

The Yellowstone caldera floor has risen recently - almost 3in per year for the past three years - a rate more than three times greater than ever observed since such measurements began in 1923

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Will be interesting to see if this little one will lead to anything substantial over the next few days!!

Keep your eyes on this one!!

g.

www.seis.utah.edu...

[edit on 9-11-2009 by grantbeed]

[edit on 9-11-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The planet is more active daily, have a look;

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And; neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PaulKCA

I agree. There have been lots of Biggiies, especially along the "ring of fire". Im in New Zealand and to be honest I fear a big one here soon.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
North or South Island?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Although I respect your thread, I say no, not at this time. and I have no proof or facts to back my resistance. I simply say No, not gonna happen. I did however read the 99 page report that USGS put out many months ago about the unstable Yellowstone, yet still I say NO. not yet.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Paul , South Island.

LIL drummerboy, who knows. No-one for sure. Its happened before and time tells us, it has to happen again, but who really knows when?

The bigger the quakes. the more more people would be sweating though.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Nice I hope to make it down there someday. In the left sidebar of the links I posted are additional links to statistical data that shows increases in size and activity planet wide.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Here ya go, and yes, I read the thread!

www.isthisthingon.org...

This is a cool layout with all the different one's at Yellowstone. She had a couple of bangs today, but nothing off scale.

yet..........................

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
wow, that could be really interesting. i think there could be a really big one soon. The moon and sun and all the other planets are lined up just perfect. Has anyone else on here noticed the ridiculous amount of censorship on this site. Some people actaully think its fine becuase it is privately owned and the owners can pick their own agenda. Its begining to look like a dictatorship to me. And for those who think its privately owned, well its clearly obvious who is really behind this site.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PaulKCA

Indeed it is more active. Look up RSOE on google to get a current activity map.

Also, for those who aren't sure why this activity is so important, it is because Nibiru/Nemesis are nearing the Sun on the far side right now. All of the planets in the solar system are experiencing all kinds of geological activity increases and their temperatures are also rising.

Have Fun Folks. The ride of your lives is about to begin !!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
There was a 3.9 quake back in december 2009, but nothing has been this size since.

This date hasnt happened yet....

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evisscerator
reply to post by PaulKCA

it is because Nibiru/Nemesis are nearing the Sun on the far side right now.

How can you be so sure of this as to preach it as fact?

I'm very curious, do you know something we do not?

[edit on 10-11-2009 by OneDivided]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Wonder if we will get any new mud pots or a shift in geyser activity from this quake. Should be interesting either way. Usually the quakes shift the attractions around a bit, opening new ones and closing old ones.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by arcnaver

Wonder if we will get any new mud pots or a shift in geyser activity from this quake. Should be interesting either way. Usually the quakes shift the attractions around a bit, opening new ones and closing old ones.

Yeah, I remember keeping an eye on the December swarm last year. It was interesting to see how one quake could then cause others to occur and you could even see the depth vary as either water or steam would move from one area to the next as things settled.

I think with Yellowstone we need to just keep an eye on hydrothermal activity. If there are any hydrothermal explosions, it could be a precursor to something larger.

And that's the rub: if a seemingly benign quake causes water to seep down toward the mantle causing it to rapidly expand as steam, it could cause a hydrothermal explosion. Depending on the pressure under that explosion and exactly where that explosion occurs, it could have a cascading effect resulting in a full eruption. The odds of this are relatively low, but with increasing global seismic activity it becomes more of a concern just knowing the potential is there. Worth keeping an eye on at least.

Of course, potentially dangerous places like this exist all over the world. A good sized quake hitting La Palma in the Canaries could be rather devastating as well. My point here is to keep an eye on it but it is nothing to get really worked up over.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

May I ask what part of the world do you live in? I am in the Eastern part of the US.

I get emails from yahoo news about earthquakes and I received one stating that there was a 2.6 earthquake at 3:00 AM on a Sunday in downtown Las Vegas:

News Report about quake

Is it normal for Nevada las Vegas to have a Quake?

Stari

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

a 3.1 quake for yellowstone and that area in general? Mostly a non issue. I mean heck, my family bathroom registers at least a 4.1 about 2 hours after thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneDivided

Originally posted by Evisscerator
reply to post by PaulKCA

it is because Nibiru/Nemesis are nearing the Sun on the far side right now.

How can you be so sure of this as to preach it as fact?

I'm very curious, do you know something we do not?

[edit on 10-11-2009 by OneDivided]

x2! Got any valid pics or evidence that nibiru is approaching...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

woops, 2009 i meant to say!!

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

im not saying this quake is a big deal, although its worth watching as it could easily be a precursor to a bigger quake on even a swarm of activity like last decembers.

Its interesting to see the biggest quake since december thats all. Maybe nothing more will come of it. who knows?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

im not saying this quake is a big deal, although its worth watching as it could easily be a precursor to a bigger quake on even a swarm of activity like last decembers.

Its interesting to see the biggest quake since december thats all. Maybe nothing more will come of it. who knows?

isnt yellowstone like 40 000 years late or watever? i think they measured 6 eruptions and found out that they erupted almost exactly after a 400 000 years cycle with only a year difference, and todays yellowstone is thousends of years late!

[edit on 10-11-2009 by chriskilla]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join