It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins of Free Masonry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
As I understand it, freemasonry started as a group that essentially held architectural secrets. Meaning that the means to create a viable foundation based on geometry and such were a closely held secret at the time Free Masonry began and the fraternity that is Free Masonry was intended to gradually expound these construction secrets to a greater number of people, provided they went through the motions and placed themselves within a social hierarchy.

So I guess my main question is this - Did Free Masonry start as a means communicate the secrets, or teach, how to build buildings?

The symbolgy of the triangle and it's physical equivalent implies that back then the construction of buildings was not common sense (indeed we could even trace further back to the Rosicrucians but I am interested in the European application).

[edit on 9-11-2009 by TrustMeIKnow]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TrustMeIKnow

Hi there,

No one actually knows the true history, however there are several different theories as to the origins and some are more outlandish than others. The accepted one is, more or less, what you stated and is generally taught amongst modern freemasons. There are also many sources stating this as fact as well. There are various places setup to research the history of masonry, cant remember the names of them at the moment though.

The story about it being descended from the Knights Templar is complete rubbish I am afraid.

[edit on 9/11/09 by Doodle456]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

modern Freemasonry uses the teachings of the builders in an allegorical way to associate those teachings with moral lessons. We don't build anything as masons. The first part you layed out is exactly what I was taught as the origins. And I wouldn't completely discount the Templar tie in. While there is no proof yet, there seems to be a lot in common and a logical bond.(IMHO)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Preemptive Note:

Anyone who comes in here pretending to know the definite answer to the Origins is only guessing.

Opinion:

The rituals and texts are so peculiar that I seriously doubt Freemasonry originates from some ordinary builders guild.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Well think about it, in the 1300's, what standards for measurement existed? A skilled builder of the time could devise squares, levels, plumb-lines, etc using nothing more than rope and scraps of material available on site. How valuable it was, then, to know how to create and use such tools in the building of more complex structures... To have walls that meet at right angles and stand erect. These "secrets" allowed for the building of all the great cathedrals that still stand today. And to someone who knew such secrets, they were a source of job security. They had value, because if you knew how to use them, you could get the high-paying gigs. So they were jealously guarded as well.

I think you may be missing one minor bit by saying they existed to "teach the secrets." They existed to protect the secrets and only teach them to those they found worthy to receive such knowledge. You had to trust that your student wasn't going to spill the beans to someone else, or betray you in other ways (stealing from you, cheating you, sleeping with your wife or daughter). A whole code of conduct arose around who could be taught, and how it would be taught. Speculative Masonry inherited much of this, and built more upon it.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
It's origins most likely come from ancient egypt. King solomon being the first lodge master.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
modern Freemasonry uses the teachings of the builders in an allegorical way to associate those teachings with moral lessons.

My theory...which I am not divulging at the moment in favor of gaining more information...is that the allegories extend beyond "moral lessons".

The moral lesson bit is kindergarten Freemasonry...if you will.

But, as I said, I need more information in order to make the claim that I suspect...

Edit for spelling.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I actually agree with everything you have stated...especially your correction of my phrasing...

Do you know of any links that concentrate on the construction aspects of early Freemasonry?

I would love to be directed to factual information on this aspect of Freemasonry...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrustMeIKnow

modern Freemasonry uses the teachings of the builders in an allegorical way to associate those teachings with moral lessons.

My theory...which I am not divulging at the moment in favor of gaining more information...is that the allegories extend beyond "moral lessons".

The moral lesson bit is kindergarten Freemasonry...if you will.

But, as I said, I need more information in order to make the claim that I suspect...

Edit for spelling.

Are you going to go into one of those higher level mason tangents? Freemasonry is a system of morality taught through allegory. Unless there is another lodge that teaches differently. Josh explained why there were secrets in operative masonry and that is translated into speculative masonry. I eagerly await the lessons that come after kindergarten.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Are you going to go into one of those higher level mason tangents?

Not a tangent.

Freemasonry is a system of morality taught through allegory.

I don't argue this and believe that the reality of such is a necessary foundation.

Unless there is another lodge that teaches differently. Josh explained why there were secrets in operative masonry and that is translated into speculative masonry. I eagerly await the lessons that come after kindergarten.

My "kindergarten" reference wasn't meant to be offensive. I apologize for the inferrance as the construction of my sentiment allowed for it.

But I really am interested in the early history/formation of FreeMasonry and would love for some links.

I can expound further, perhaps, upon reciept of them. There is a reason why I came to this forum in earnest question...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

here is a link to a site with much factual information. Always remember, proven facts are what tells a factual story. Unproven facts are just thoughts or ideas until proven. Like the Knights Templar link. Albert Pike had the idea that masonry did indeed come from the KT, but after much study, he admitted there was not enough proof to make that leap. There are also the links to the Bavarian Illuminati. Again, not proven facts, just thoughts and ideas. The Illuminati had similar ideals and came about at the same time as masonry was formed, and rumor has it, that some masons were in fact members of the Illuminati. Operative word is *rumor*. I didn't take offence to the kindergarten remark, just got a familiar feeling that I was about to be schooled in what evils lurk in masonry. I will wait for your next post before I let my knee jerk again. Sorry about that.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by vapedson

No. According to their tradition, Solomon honored Hiram Abiff for not revealing the secrets of Masonry, at this time simple stone Masonry, to young ruffians who assaulted and killed him, reburying him in a more fitting grave.
Solomon had contracted Hiram to build his temple.
Their rituals more honor Abiff than Solomon.

Their rituals are not historical, though, and are based off of the Old Testament and parts of the new Testament.
Their is evidence of Masonry being around during the 1300's, with references going back earlier.
Masonry became apparent in 1717, when the Blue Lodge formed from consolidated ldoges.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Thanks for the link...

excerpted from the above link
They were clearly the elite of the labour force

That is what I was looking for however I will wait for more history..hopefully from the Masons themselves.

Btw...The Knights and Illuminati (rumours) are not quite what I am aiming for...

Edit to Add - When I say "the Masons themselves" I intend to view Mason approved histories...I want their perspective as well...

And while I am not ready to present what I suspice...I assure those reading that it is far away and above that which is the usual.

Method...Madness...and all of that rot...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrustMeIKnow

And while I am not ready to present what I suspice...I assure those reading that it is far away and above that which is the usual.

Please enlighten us with your findings for to us the secret of the origins is lost.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

I am really hoping this isn't going to turn out to be one of those theories where its roots were found by "reading between the lines".

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Are you going to go into one of those higher level mason tangents? Freemasonry is a system of morality taught through allegory.

I have to agree with him. So did Pike, Waite, Mackey, and many others. The degrees do of course teach morality, which is the exoteric teaching of the Fraternity. However, morality is preparation for the esoteric teachings contained within the profoundest symbolism.

Just my $0.02.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
TrustmeIKnow,

You might want to look at some of Dr. Magaret Jacob's work and study of Freemasonry. She is one of the eminent authorities and an historian on Masonry. Freemasonry in California, through the Grand Lodge of California, is establishing a Chair at UCLA specifically for the study of Masonry's influence on the founding of this country and it's myriad influences on society in general.

If you're looking for some definitive historical verification or "proofs" on the origins of Freemasonry you are likely as not to find no real evidence here. You may get a lot of opinions and conjecture and you will undoubtedly get some very useful information from some of the Masons and non-masons who frequent this sight, but ultimately you will have to do the studying and sifting for your own answers.

There are many legitimate Masonic scholars and many legitimate non-masonic scholars who are very knowlegable and quite informed and quite worthy of reading and studying.

Good Luck

[edit on 10-11-2009 by sharkman]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharkman
You might want to look at some of Dr. Magaret Jacob's work and study of Freemasonry. She is one of the eminent authorities and an historian on Masonry. Freemasonry in California, through the Grand Lodge of California, is establishing a Chair at UCLA specifically for the study of Masonry's influence on the founding of this country and it's myriad influences on society in general.

Thank you. When time permits I will delve into this reference. Thank you so very much as this is exactly what I would like exposure to.

As a teaser...whether it is Mason specific or not...I think I may be able to implicate the "coding" of the English language, with regards to industry specific terminology and the necessary creation of new words associated as such, to a multi-lateral meaning.

I think that symbolic representation of speech, in tandem with anagrams, provides a means for communication of the mindset of another individual. Hypnotic Scripts have been associated with the constructs of a building...or home. There is a code...

I need much more research but I am mostly sure that there is something to my thoughts...

Cheers. And I'll get back at y'all a bit later. Keep this thread in your subscriptions...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Hi,

How has the coding of the english language got anything to do with the origins of freemasonry? Is this going to turn out into something like that Bible code stuff a while ago? If you read enough into anything there are always patterns and if you look hard enough you will always find what you want to believe.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Hi there!
Many people believe that the Masonic brotherhood grew out of a necessity to meet the needs of fleeing fugitive Knights Templars. After the suppression and dissolution of the KT, the bulk(or so they thought) of Templar holdings across England including land,money,and buildings was given to the Hospitallers, (Knights of the hospital of St.John)

During the Pesant revolt of 1381Hospitaller property seems to have been specifically targeted while former Templar order property was left alone.Fearing punishment from Pope Clement V the remaining templars, those who were not killed during the inquisition needed a way to find lodging,safe harbor and new identities.

Prior to 1717, the mason's were not known at all, that is during this year they choose to make their order public knowledge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join