It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who else would like to see the death of multiple duplicate threads?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by obamalivechat

Offense taken anyway. Grrr!!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
I agree. It's stupid.
Yet it continues day after day.

Like some people using the word "loose" instead of lose.
Or calling someone a "looser" instead of a loser.
Only proves a lack of formal education, willfully ignoring the search
feature, and the proper use of a dictionary of course.
Pretty sad when its your native language!

Or, farther - further , color - colour

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Yes he created a dup thread to talk about dup threads. They do not bother me at all as long as you search and don't find anything at the time. Or even if you don't search sometimes.. I did not search for this thread but found it in MYATS. I wouldn't have searched for this topic anyway but once I saw it decided to read it.

I agree with redoubt that dup threads should be merged but not deleted But only if the two threads have the same intent! You can have similar threads too in my opinion if the subject is only slightly different than the other thread.

You can have a thread about the F14 and in this thread you talk about it's engine design. You should to be able to have another separate F14 thread with the same topic title and talk about a different aspect of the F14 - because the intent is different.

I wish to post on forums all the time finding there is already a topic title that covers my same topic but I wish to discuss a different aspect of that topic. Nothing makes me madder faster than for a Mod to come along and merge my topic with the other one simply because it has the same title! This first topic may be old and washed up and no one is posting in it and I wish to revive the topic with a different take - I should be allowed to do so under my own topic.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

nobody is asking you do do that. maybe you should look for job.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
To prove my point!

Murdoch aims to block Google search

posted on 10-11-2009 @ 04:16 AM

Murdoch may block Google searches

posted on 10-11-2009 @ 02:48 AM

Both IN BAN!

Seriously, I don't know why, but I hate it!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

As I said, I do it because I feel it's important. And I resent the accusations of being a "news vulture" out to make lots of points, when in reality it's being done for completely selfless reasons.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

"news vulture" you called yourself that, i wouldnt have even said anything like that.

if you look at my original post in this thread you will notice that i didnt even mention ANYBODY, it was just a general observation. you made it offensive to yourself, not me.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorDisaster

Originally posted by MR BOB

As I said, I do it because I feel it's important. And I resent the accusations of being a "news vulture" out to make lots of points, when in reality it's being done for completely selfless reasons.

I agree, I find it mildly amusing that a member, who's been registered for four years for example, has made 10 threads in that time, can come here and say it isn't an issue, and that 'news vultures' are wrong, when they themselves are the BIGGEST vultures, happy to let other people do the searches, posts etc etc.

don't lose heart friend, you do do a good job, finding important stories, that are of interest to ATS members I believe is an invaluable job.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Every time I see a duplicate thread I think to myself: "another one that will get left there to boost the ATS posting numbers".

Duplicate threads should be DELETED, not just ignored or closed.

I wanna at least see a "404" error when I go to them.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

i think deleting "duplicate threads" is dumb if those threads are in a different forum.

For example

i don't subscribe to EVERY SINGLE FORUM - so if something happened, lets say,. first contact...and it was posted in the "ALIENS" Forum and not allowed to exist in the breaking alt news forum - i'd miss out on it.

If you don't like looking at it, turn your head.

It really is that simple.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I don't like duplicate threads; it just demonstrates that the ones taking an other's idea are just mentally lazy... especially when they hardly alter the thread title so that it can be posted.

I've been victim to this on numerous occasions, with nothing but a "yeah, we understand, but their's is slightly different", while on the flip side of things, I made a thread or two which bordered along a similar vein to have it disappear into the trash can.

It happens... even when there are several of the same threads floating around on the first page of Recent Posts, even when these same threads are known and monitored by moderators... it happens. Case in point: Obama birth certificates, Nibiru in 2012, Are Freemasons Agents of Evil.

There's a recent complaint thread on ATS going off about people who don't post that often should be banned; I responded by saying post something original. Sure, our thread numbers are going up, but the quality is slowly slipping away, as people are getting more sick and tired of seeing the same thing said 20 different ways.

A lot of times, I just copy what I stated on one post, and paste it on another; at some point, I may be busted on this, because i don't give credit to myself when I quote myself, nor do I provide a link to what I said earlier (I do place a disclaimer, though).

Why not? The same threads should get the same answers, especially when the cover the same thing, and reach the same conclusions.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
i can't seem to get 2 of my threads deleted.

they're stupid threads with ZERO activity & i regret them & want them gone.

I've sent 3 messages to 3 different mods so far and nothings happened yet...

the most recent 2 msgs haven't even been read yet

-B.M

[edit on 23/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Not sure about deleting anything, I think if no one replies, the only place to find it is in their profile....good enough for me, no reason to delete them, they will find their home naturally.

The thing I noticed recently that bothers me is a particular individual, posting the exact, "cut and re-paste" thread, in multiple forums, like he/she is affraid someone is going to take his topic to another forum and do better, or something, so it gets posted in all forums related to the topic.

I just thought that was a little overkill, to post the same word for word thread in multiple forums...maybe I'm just to critical.

I try not to complain, ever! If I don't have anything nice to say, I try not to say anything.
Some confuse debate with hatred also, now I'm confusing myself...anyways I said what I wanted to say about the multiple forums same topic, and poster...

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

you are correct, i cannot get the threads deleted. just got a u2u to that effect from mod, I can get them closed under certain circumstances tho, as I hope to do with one more of my atrocious threads

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions anyway,

kind regards
-B.M

also I agree whole heartedly on your points regarding duplicates.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I just find this absurd!!!

British police arrest people 'just for the DNA' Breaking Alt News

Arrests are being made 'to expand DNA files' General Consp

Police making arrests 'just to gather DNA samples' NWO

I'm extremely proud to be a member of ATS, but I think a situation like this reflects poorly on the site.

Multiple threads pertaining to conspiracies are one thing, but all three of these are discussing the exact same news item, a news item, not a historical conspiracy.

I will not give up on this, it really makes ATS look daft!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join