It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama pledge to Native Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

US President Barack Obama has vowed not to forget American Indian tribes, as representatives gathered for a White House conference on native issues.

The first annual White House Tribal Nations Conference brings together one delegate from each of the 564 federally recognised American Indian tribes.

It is the first time in US history that they will all meet a sitting president.

The event is part of Mr Obama's efforts to build bridges with American Indian and Alaska Native communities.

In opening remarks, which received a standing ovation, Mr Obama said: "You will not be forgotten as long as I'm in this White House."

The event's agenda covers a variety of issues, from centuries old broken treaty promises to more modern issues such as healthcare, crime and poverty.

Mr Obama said he had asked every cabinet agency to provide him with a plan on how to improve relations between the government and tribes.

Where have we heard this before?

Pres. Obama, a good place to start might be to make good on treaties broken in the past.

And restore the money stolen.

www.albionmonitor.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Restore the stolen money?

If they did that then it would come from my taxes and seeing as how I didn't personally harm or kill a Native American I think they can keep their hands out of my wallet.

Maybe since you feel so strongly about it, you will let them double dip into yours to make it up.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

As a Cherokee there is no way to pay back to Us what was stolen, they only way is t omake sure our future generations have access to GOOD education, GOOD health care and GOOD Jobs.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Like I would believe anything any American president said about helping Indians. About the only thing they've ever helped is themselves, to Native lands, resources, monies.

I'm not an Obama hater or anything...he seems to be a nice guy, more mouthpiece than leader, in my eyes, but a nice guy none the less. It's simply that he's an American, and they have yet to keep any promise or pledge, have never even honestly tried to.

The tribes' resources and funds have long been nothing more than a cash cow for politically favored contributors, easily concealable bribes because no one cares what happens to Native property or funds. All Americans benefit one way or the other from the theft of those, so none particularly want to look at the issues.

I'll believe he's serious when he does something substantial, like actually recognizing and abiding by treaty rights. I'll believe he is as transformative as he claimed to be when he stands for the Independence and freedom of the tribes.

Otherwise, it's just a check mark on the routine ceremonial acknowledgement othat we exist, now go away and let the adults tend to serious issues, and be happy you got a photo op with the "Great White Father".

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Why would any Native American believe anything the US government has to say? Likely all that is happening here is compounding centuries of lies and deceit with yet more lies and deceit. With a photo op thrown in. Vague promises that can be spun to look like some kind of progress.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Its been a little over a hundred years now, maybe its time for Native Americans to stop blaming the government for their problems.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Weird double post sorry

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Resinveins]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Btw, the reason the lawsuit is a last resort is because historically the courts have been extremely inimical to Native rights, taking every possible opportunity to extinguish the same, regardless of legal norms, the facts of the cases, or the mountains of evidence.

many years ago when I was in college and demanded to know why we didn't sue, I was informed that we were waiting for the courts to change sufficiently to give at least a hint that we might actualy prevail, because once it entered the system and a ruling was issued it (whatever "it" was being judged) would be next to impossible to revive it again. The assumption, based upon past experience was that the courts would automatically find against tribal rights at each level, forcing it eventually to the Supreme Court, who based upon precedent and the "needs" of the nation, would find that no matter what the merits of the case, finding for the tribes would place too great a burden on the nation.

So either this case is a move of desperation and frustration, or some feel there might be a glimmer of hope that things have changed enough to allow the possiblity that Native rights might be upheld.

Personally, I doubt it severely. My prediction: the courts will find it too difficult to find and hold anyone accountable, will vacate the monies owed and claim the only solution is to wipe the slate clean and start over with a "new" system, one that'll take another decade or two to prove that it's the same as the old one with a new name and fresh paint job. Very little money will be found to be still owed, probably a token payment of perhaps 2%. Case closed, let's move on.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by whaaa

As a Cherokee there is no way to pay back to Us what was stolen, they only way is t omake sure our future generations have access to GOOD education, GOOD health care and GOOD Jobs.

It is not the taxpayers responsibility to provide jobs, healthcare, nor is it the responsibility to provide education beyond what is offered to all other children. Get over your race already!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bored To Tears
Restore the stolen money?

If they did that then it would come from my taxes and seeing as how I didn't personally harm or kill a Native American I think they can keep their hands out of my wallet.

You could call it "rent?"

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I just wanted to say excellent post. Living in Arizona I have had the opportunity to meet many good people that live on reservations for the hualapi, hopi, and CRIT...and these are the biggest concerns they have.Until Obama starts delivering these 3 things you speak of to ALL the people he will never be nothing more than a snake oil salesman.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

Are you saying we should follow the example of the Tamil Tigers, or the Palestinians, or the Basque, and renew the fight with guns and bombs?

Or are you suggesting as many Americans like to say:

"We conquered your butts, get over it."?

Why pray tell, should the mere passage of time extinguish a people's rights to their political independence and their rights to their own lands and monies? Why should the American government continue to have total control over native lands and monies?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

You call it rent.

I will call it stealing and treat them as thieves.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Take issue with the goverment, but leave my wallet alone.

Get your handouts elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bored To Tears
reply to post by Resinveins

Its been a little over a hundred years now, maybe its time for Native Americans to stop blaming the government for their problems.

Maybe it's time for the Government to honor their treaties.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Maybe its time they stop blaming the government for their problems.

You picked a good screen name, it suits you.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

So let me get this straight.

You claim no responsibility for the anything that you personally didn't sign off on? You reject obligations and debts your country willing incurred, signed internationally recognized treaties pledging full faith as a nation?

I take it then, that since you personally didn't sign the Geneva conventions, you'd have no problem with you or yours being tortured by an enemy, wouldn't expect its protections?

You, personally, benefit from cheap coal and timber stolen from Native lands. You, personally, benefit from cattle grazed on tribal lands without paying for the privilege. You, personally, benefit from park lands carved from reservation land, from electricity produced by dams placed on native land without compensation, from using tribal lands as toxic dumps. You, personally, benefit from lands stolen for use by the railroads. The list is endless.

Typical American: long on rhetoric about personal responsibility, short on taking it.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
First, you get the fancy speech from the actor Barak Obama (or whatever his name is).

Second, you feel warm and fuzzy and say nice things about Obama.

Third, you realise that everything he said was empty promises and PR spin.

Fourth, you realise the creep said nothing that he really believed, and you become enraged as you realise you have been lied to by the man sitting in the Oval Office.

Fifth, you vow, as God is your witness, you will never vote for a Democrat again. And in a moment of calm, you resolve to join the Greens and demand return of the lands promised by treaty with the USA.

Sixth, declare sovereignty and issue arrest warrants for everyone in the US government.

... just thinking off the top of my head ...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join