It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge taxpayer cost of Murder Trial - Ontario,Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Huge taxpayer cost of Murder Trial - Ontario,Canada

www.atv.ca

The costs of staging the Bandidos murder trial have been totalled and they are stagering.

The trial which convicted the six accused in the deaths of eight fellow Bandidos cost the taxpyers more than $2,3000,000.

The costs of the 13 lawyers provided by legal aid alone was almost two-million dollars.

And the incarceration of the convicted Bandidos will cost even more. $16,5000,000 to keep them behind bars for the minimum 25 years.

Combined, taxpayers will spend more than $20-million on this case.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Several years ago 6 six murdered 8 Bandido gang members near Shedden,Ontario. 8 dead men were found in 3 vehicles.

Years have gone by and so has taxpayers money.
I know it's not good to let murderers run free but this cost is astronomical.
It cost more to incarcerate 1 man in prison for a year than an avg. income of a family of 2.
This trial took so long and why should it have to when all six men were guilty of murdering 8 others.

Too long for all of the facts to be processed. What a waste of time and money.
A lot of money in the long run.

Is there a problem like this in the US?

When you have an informant and all the right info pointing to murder why should the trial have taken so long.

Now they get 25 to life, well 25 is life in prison in Canada.

You can expect that prison isn't a vacation but the cost of locking these men up is 16.5 million for 25 years. 110,000 per man per year. Ridiculous.

Nate

www.atv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
WOW. I just love where all of out tax money goes!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well I admit I know nothing of the Canadian justice system but here in the US, appointed public defenders don't make anything near 2 million for defending a client. Also if you are spending millions to house a prisoner I would suggest that you stop feeding them lobster and truffles.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ontariocanada

What a waste of money. When I am elected (lol), I am going to bring back capital punishment for multiple murders, a confession of murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Let's see, that would save probably about a billion over the next 20 years. Maybe someday in Canada we will have something like the French Revolution, except instead of rounding up "monarchs" maybe it will be the oligarchs (politicians, bankers, etc). Who knows what the future holds.

But you think that's a waste of taxpayer money... government employees get I think it's 9 fully paid sick days per year plus 127 days at 80% of their pay. They can't be fired for taking those days and they don't need a doctors note for three days or less, they can just give any damned excuse, I especially like the "mental health day" excuse. Plus after taking the 127 days off, they just have to work for 21 days and they can do it all over again. Isn't the Canadian government efficient !!!

What a sad sad joke of a government. Cheers

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RichyW
WOW. I just love where all of out tax money goes!

Everybody is entitled to a fair trail...so whaddya gonna do? Makes more sense than pi$$ing it away in some overseas adventure...and its attendant mortality rate.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

But you think that's a waste of taxpayer money... government employees get I think it's 9 fully paid sick days per year plus 127 days at 80% of their pay. They can't be fired for taking those days and they don't need a doctors note for three days or less, they can just give any damned excuse, I especially like the "mental health day" excuse. Plus after taking the 127 days off, they just have to work for 21 days and they can do it all over again. Isn't the Canadian government efficient !!!

That is the kind of thing that gets negotiated in a collective agreement and usually comes from the management side as an alternative to a wage increase. Don't kid yourself that it doesn't come under scrutiny, and those that abuse the system are called to account for it.

So, in deferring those wages and benefits into sick days...not that bad an idea.

new topics

top topics

join