It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate panel approves Democratic climate bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Senate panel approves Democratic climate bill

www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee on Thursday approved a Democratic climate change bill that would require industry to cut emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases 20 percent by 2020 from 2005 levels.

With Republicans boycotting the committee's work saying more analysis of the legislation was needed, 10 Democrats voted to approve the legislation and one Democrat, Senator Max Baucus, voted against it.

The bill will now become one of several initiatives aimed at attacking global warming. Senator John Kerry is leading an effort with some Republicans and the White House to craft a compromise bill, which likely would not be voted on by the full Senate until next year at the earliest.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

[edit on 11/5/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I was wondering when this beast was going to show up again. I just hope we can stop this bill before it destroys us.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by Chance321]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Guess a lot of cow butt holes are going to have to be plugged.

I nominate Mr. Kerry and Mr. Gore to the job.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is great news.

Easily within our lifetimes could this become a huge problem.

We only have one planet to live on. If we don't take care of it, we're in deep #.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This is the first note,
in the opus called OWG.

[edit on 11/5/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto
This is great news.

Easily within our lifetimes could this become a huge problem.

We only have one planet to live on. If we don't take care of it, we're in deep #.

How are our SUV's and cows making the other planets go through our climate changes?

And it is climate change now, remember? Because the temperatures got colder instead of warmer, so the CYA rewording started creeping up.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

Funny to compare your avatar with your post.

One must be sarcastic. But which?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Are you insane!
Don't you know it's all a big liberal conspiracy!!!
That profits for international corporations are what really matters!!!!
Look at our friends, Communist China! You know, the guys we owe trillions!
Why they have the sense to not even have pollution cotnrols and they are making money like CRAZY!!!!!
It's CRAZY to thing that nearly 7 billion humans could effect climate!!!!
And anyway, Jesus is on his way, so what does it matter?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Does anybody expected anything different, remember we have a system of government that doesn't listen to the people anymore, but for this bill comes with over 2 thousand lobbyist from the various groups that will be profiting from gouging America for private agendas.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
We shouldn't be complacent, but I don't think cap and trade is going to pass anytime soon, thankfully. I have a hard time believing that they're going to get all of those red-state Democrats on board with it, and they're going to need every single one of them in the Senate in order to break a GOP filibuster. Otherwise, its going to have to go through budget reconciliation, which would be a political nightmare for the entire Democratic party headed into an election year.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

Are you insane!
Don't you know it's all a big liberal conspiracy!!!
That profits for international corporations are what really matters!!!!
Look at our friends, Communist China! You know, the guys we owe trillions!
Why they have the sense to not even have pollution cotnrols and they are making money like CRAZY!!!!!
It's CRAZY to thing that nearly 7 billion humans could effect climate!!!!
And anyway, Jesus is on his way, so what does it matter?

OK, maybe you can answer my questions?

How are our SUV's and cows changing climates on other planets?

What happened to "Global Warming?" The Earth is cooling now.

[edit on 11/5/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with you. Through out the history of the world, the Earth's went through warming an cooling periods it normal. Granted man may have a small part in it, but we are not to blame for the whole. Their is alot that effects our world; Volcanios, methane coming up from the ocean floors(I remembered seeing a show on the history channel about that), the sun we're going through a record period with no sunspots.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with you. Through out the history of the world, the Earth's went through warming an cooling periods it normal. Granted man may have a small part in it, but we are not to blame for the whole. Their is alot that effects our world; Volcanios, methane coming up from the ocean floors(I remembered seeing a show on the history channel about that), the sun we're going through a record period with no sunspots.

See, here's the problem with your argument. You say "we are not to blame".THATS NOT THE POINT!!!!
We CONTRIBUTE!!!!
Don't think so? Tell me what would happen if nobody disposed of any garbage in America for a month? Think it would add up fast? Think it would trigger an increase in disease? Think it might actually start to change the environment in any way? Increase in vermin? Insects/ Any unforseen consequence possible? Think any of that might effect food production for example? And this from a simple accumulation of garbage.
How much energy do you think it might take to heat up the worlds oceans by.1 degrees? Or cool by .1?
Do you know the difference between weather and climate?
Are you people really so brainwashed by corporate intersts that you would even THINK of risking human beings future, just to assure the status quo of PROFIT? My, you are good little corporate soldiers!

[edit on 5-11-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

See, here's the problem with your argument. You say "we are not to blame".THATS NOT THE POINT!!!!
We CONTRIBUTE!!!!
Don't think so? Tell me what would happen if nobody disposed of any garbage in America for a month? Think it would add up fast? Think it would trigger an increase in disease? Think it might actually start to change the environment in any way? Increase in vermin? Insects/ Any unforseen consequence possible? Think any of that might effect food production for example? And this from a simple accumulation of garbage.
How much energy do you think it might take to heat up the worlds oceans by.1 degrees? Or cool by .1?
Do you know the difference between weather and climate?
Are you people really so brainwashed by corporate intersts that you would even THINK of risking human beings future, just to assure the status quo of PROFIT? My, you are good little corporate soldiers!

[edit on 5-11-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The Dems are certainly going rogue. Granted it is just through another committee but so much for Obama's bipartisanship promise. AGAIN!

2010 will be a clean sweep of dems. into the dump. This is getting ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

If you'll lose the attitude and reread what I typed, you'll see that I said "Granted man may have a small part in it" and that we are not to blame for THE WHOLE PICTURE.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The problem is that . . . this bills are not about that, clean air, clean oceans and clean energy, this bills are like all the bills in congress that had private groups agendas behind it with thousands of lobbyist paying congressmen to do what they want.

This bills are all for profiting sadly the profiting comes at the expenses of tax payers, you me and our unborn children, they do littler to fix the problems at all.

See these people doesn't give a darn about the earth at all they care about the profits they will be making on scamming the people.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I'll grant you a number of points on global warming. I think we pretty obviously are playing a major role in the increase in CO2 emissions, and it may well be having an effect on global temperatures. I'll certainly agree that we're dumping all manner of other garbage into the environment that isn't exactly healthy, either (and much of it is probably far worse than CO2 emissions).

However, I have to ask you a couple of questions. One, how does forcing corporations to pay for the right to emit CO2 actually reduce CO2 emissions when they can pass those costs onto consumers? Second, speaking of the consumer, how does a cap-and-trade bill benefit a working class family that is barely scraping by when energy rates under this type of plan will 'necessarily skyrocket', at least according to the president?

I have more concerns, but these two are fundamental to the entire cap and trade debate, at least in my opinion.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by vor78]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
What do you guys believe is a small part?

Is a hole in the ozone layer the size of North America a small part? Because, it was destroyed by CFCs that were produced by us.

Do you understand what the importance of an ozone layer is to the Earth?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

It is probably all those cows.

They are even making other planets' climates change as well.

I suppose my cousin's new Yukon is responsible for the sunspot stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join