It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Debate Tournament: Member Discussion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So just how is a winner determined? I saw in the rules that you have a specific amount of posting to do. Smart, keeps it from going on forever. Makes you do quality posting. *smiles*

I also get the impression that this is more about using your brain then it is about finding material.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Count me in my friend. I always look forward to having a nice debate.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

ATS Debate Tournament Roster

(Subject to change as more members sign up. Your name being listed here does not guarantee you a spot in the tournament)

1) AllSeeingI
2) vkey08
3) whatukno
4) GUNSINWAR
5) OzWeatherman
6) Snarf
7) hangedman13
8) serbsta
9) dizziedame
10) zazzafrazz
11) Skyfloating
12) ecoparity
13) mblahnikluver
14) stereovoyaged
15) Agent-ATS
16) nyk537

17) habfan1968
18) nixie_nox
19) wormwood13
20) hyperion.martin

The first 16 are our participants at the moment. They are not in the appropriate order just yet. The senior debaters listed will be bumped to the top of the list and guaranteed a seat. The newcomers will be listed in order of who announced their intention to participate first. If a senior debater comes along, they will be slotted in accordingly and everyone below them will bump down the list.

The cut off for the tournament is Sunday, November 15th 2009 @ 12:00AM PST.

On that Monday, all participants will be contacted with their information. Anyone who does not respond within 48 hours will be removed from the list and their seat will be given to a member who is waiting. For example, if that were to happen right now, habsfan1968 would be the first to pick up a vacant seat.

So even though all the seats are currently filled, they can open up quickly. So if you wish to participate, still state your intentions. At this point we're looking at a 16 person tournament, however we may expand it.

Any further questions, send myself, TheBorg or semperfortis a u2u.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The winner is determined by a panel of anonymous judges that read the debate once it has concluded. A critique of both participants and a result is offered to both participants afterwards.

Take a peak in the ATS Debate Forum and you'll see plenty of examples of this.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
As we've done in the past, spots will be offered to more seasoned debaters over newcomers, if we have more members looking to participate than we can accommodate.

Why exactly am I on the waiting list?

And you mistyped my name; it's wormwood13.

wordwood is my cousin.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by wormwood13]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I will judge too if you need more people to do that.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wormwood13

Corrected.

You're on the waiting list because 16 members signed up before you and at this point, we're looking at having a 16 member tournament. If spots open up, which I assure you they will, members from the waiting list will be contacted. I can not guarantee how many will open up, but a few always do.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Participants can not be judges. And judges are 100% anonymous, so requests to be a judge need to be made privately.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Oh my bad. I just meant that if I didn't make into the tournament, I will also play the judge in case. But that seems to be a mute point now.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'll throw my hat in, in case one of your participants drop out.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Awww. I was trying to say that I am a seasoned member with a couple of debates under my belt. That's why I quoted from your OP.

Originally posted by chissler
As we've done in the past, spots will be offered to more seasoned debaters over newcomers, if we have more members looking to participate than we can accommodate.

I was just trying to clarify why I wasn't a seasoned debater.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If we get 32 applicants we could even expand the debate tournament. So without plugging this too much, maybe if you guys on the reserve list want, invite a few more people to join in

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well... I would certainly love to see a 32 participant round. Much to my chagrin I missed the whole first draft.

I would like to offer friendly advice to all of the prospective debaters, if I may presume to privilege:

Assuming you are serious about the opportunity to show your skill at making a point.......

ATS has a strong tradition of civil, respectful, and positive debating

What we see out on our forums, when we occasionally 'relax' our sense of self-restraint; is not good form for debate. Name calling, or belittling behavior is as rude as it is in a face to face conversation.

Debating is a difficult task; at times it can even be very difficult

I must emphasize that you will not be in control of the topic. Unless you object because it is patently offensive to you, it can and does happen that you will be defending a position you would much rather not!

Many debaters bemoan their fate once a topic is revealed... and the sides are declared. I can assure you - it can really be frustrating debating for something in which you don't really believe.

Debates require an understanding - they take time
Try to set aside time on your schedule when you are engaged in a debate. Debates don't take a lot of time, but your opponent is depending on your answer. So leaving them waiting is kind of cruel....

Have fun!

Don't forget that debating can be a blast! Enjoy it!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I would like to give it a shot.These topics are not open to debate ;
1.I've never debated in any arena.
2.I will probably embarrass myself.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I would like to join this debate. I feel the only way for me to get any wiser is to frequent with wise people. Thanks for the oppertunity, this is a great thing to do. If I'm not picked, I can still watch, right?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

The Debate Forum is a public forum, viewable by all members. So I'm pretty sure you can.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Well... I would certainly love to see a 32 participant round. Much to my chagrin I missed the whole first draft.

As its stands, I think we only need another 8 or 9 members to get a 32 person round.

Might start inviting

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

wait your not in this debate tourney?

Oh thank GOD!

I have a snowballs chance in hell now.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
One question, what if you don't understand the topic posted. I read a couple and the topic titles I was like wha?

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Research

U2U the Mod for clarification

Those two options should resolve most misunderstanding

Semper

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join