It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C.I.A. Rendition Trial Nears Verdict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

C.I.A. Rendition Trial Nears Verdict

www.nytimes.com

MILAN — A verdict is expected as soon as Wednesday in a landmark case in which 26 American officials are charged with kidnapping a Muslim cleric from the streets of Milan more than six years ago.

The case is the first of its kind to contest the practice of “extraordinary rendition,” in which terrorism suspects are captured in one country and taken for questioning in another, presumably one more open to coercive interrogation techniques. Widely seen as a referendum on Bush administration fore
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Prosecutors say the cleric was snatched in broad daylight, flown from an American air base in Italy to a base in Germany and then on to Egypt, where he claims he was tortured.

Just goes to show you, whenever something really weird happens you never know, might be CIA.

All of the Americans are being tried in absentia and are considered fugitives.

WOW

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I believe it's called getting "Black Bagged". Ever see V for Vendetta?

EDIT:

All of the Americans are being tried in absentia and are considered fugitives.

So this means they don't have the agents on trial, they're just holding a trial against them? They're fugitives from the Italian government but who is to say if the Italians ever find them?

[edit on 4-11-2009 by Shadowflux]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
23 of them were found guilty, 3 were acquitted due to diplomatic immunity. Five Italians were acquitted, though three of them were found guilty of being accomplices to kidnapping.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well, its a feeble start, and a bit anemic, but at least it is a start. It is way overdue for the CIA to be held accountable for its illegal activities.

Hopefully, if an international arrest warrant is issued, these guys could be nabbed if they traveled to Europe; otherwise there is no way the US would give them up.

In a just world, the US would prosecute them themselves -- but we know that world does not exist.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Thx for the links!!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Was this story the basis for the movie "Rendition" with Jake Gyllenhal and Reese Witherspoon? I saw this a few months ago and it wasnt that bad of a movie. I read that it was based on a true story, or loosely based.

top topics

join