It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe Picture that took 4 months to take!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by poling2482

oh i see, he was meaning the one picture of the deep field, i was under the assumption he meant the entire thing

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

New posters don't necessarily look for it though, I have just seen and I am glad it is posted.

Thanks for posting it!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

The universe is so beautiful. God is GREAT, and the Hubble telescope ROCKS!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Awesome! Wow, this is the one time in my life that I almost posted in all caps. That really did move me. Thank you for this so much, Star and Flag!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Lol, I see a new thread about that picture at least three times a year. People should really look first. Anyhow, that doesn't lessen the lesson that picture invokes.

you really expect users to read every post before posting something? come on,

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Absolutely mind blowing!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
That's an impressive picture from a materials/mass point of view. But...do the stars have the power to ponder us as we do them? I think not.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
If it has been posted before thats fine in my eyes. I think people should be reminded of how small we are. Wow. Just imagine how many earth like planets they could be and the technology they might have. I mean there is no way we could be alone in the universe. Thanks for the post. Even though this has been posted before. I havent seen this before and im a new guy still so alot of people probably still havent seen this yet. But this is simply mind numbing to know just how small we are in the universe.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The photo looks like a big wall or door poster. Is it available for purchase somewhere in that format? If the photo was higher rez I guess Kinkos could probably be used to just make one but I'd love to hang that up in my daughters study.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
i love this, i even bookmarked and saved the image.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
cool i have a book (its HUGE) by giles sparrow called cosmos and its full of hubble shots, all the best but the deep field shots are amazing. now that does make you feel small.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
You know what? Looking at "enourmousness" like this makes me giggle with glee. If humans are bound to explore the universe, it will be quite some time before we get bored...

Now, where's that darned photon-drive? NASA: Quit putting money in huuge fircrackers, and instead start tinkering with really advanced propulsion methods. Money? Simple. Quit stupid EXPENSIVE wars that only delay the inevitable: End of Oil-based Economy.., and use that money to start exploring the universe!!

remember: Without explorers, we wouldn't have an US of A or Australia...

It's in our blood, in our genes, hardwired in our brains: "What's behind the next corner??"

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am.... SIGNIFICANT!!!

Oh, not really...

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
And now think for a moment what pictures will bring us Magellan telescope or ELT telescope. I am planning to sponsor the creation of Magellan- magnitude telescope in space to replace Hubble.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I don't understand. In one of the images it says "largest known star"...then below that one, it give an alternate name and says "largest known star."

So, which one is actually the largest?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
)total destruction and biblical times on this little planet yet yet VY Canis Majoris wouldnt even notice. It would be similar to a asteroid the size of a tennis ball colliding with earth.

I doubt it would even be like a tennis ball...I'd imagine the Earth would just fizzle apart before even reaching the surface. Astonishing.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Im sorry to everyone that has a problem with reposting. I havnt been on ATS long and just thought it was an amazing picture that needed to be shared. A lot of people would have never seen this if not for me posting it.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Nice

We are stardust indeed... This reminds me of Carl Sagan's 'pale blue dot' image, Earth photographed from 4 billion miles away by Voyager I:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b690d8cda0ad.jpg[/atsimg]

"We succeeded in taking that picture and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam".
Carl Sagan
link

There are some nice pale blue dot threads around already. Looking at Earth from that perspective always confonts me with... well, more or less everything I live in, live for, live with and live by. In one dot.

[edit on 5/11/09 by Movhisattva]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Truely mind blowing, hurts my head just thinking about whats out there. One thing that i was reminded of though was the t.v. show Land Of The Giants. With stars that size out there, what size are the planets orbitting them. What size are the inhabbitants of said planets, and how big are the sodding spiders.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join