It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we please have another debate tournament....Im having withdrawals....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Please can we have another debate tournament!!!!!

I have all this pent up frustration that I want to unleash on my unaware opponent. We havent had one for a long time, and the last one I was ripped off, having to argue for scientology, against s-dog in the first round.....grrrrrr

So who's with me? Old fighters and new fighters....lets get some noise happening for this eh!!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
do you have any specific topics you would like to discuss? or are you open to suggestions that people would like to see/participate in?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yea, we want debates!

Please

It's been far too long already.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
do you have any specific topics you would like to discuss? or are you open to suggestions that people would like to see/participate in?

In debate tournaments the topics are chosen randomly

This prevents bias between members and is more a result of how well you research and how well you are able to argue your point

For example, I lost 2-1 to schrodingers dog last time which is pretty good considering I kind of had to stick up for scientology

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

How about a debate on chemtrails OZ, would that suffice to quench your thirst? even after the patent was found.. sounds good to me FSME

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981

How about a debate on chemtrails OZ, would that suffice to quench your thirst? even after the patent was found.. sounds good to me FSME

I would gladly debate anyone on chemtrails but the 5 or so people I have already asked all declined, lol

But what i want is a tourny where your opponent and topic are chosen randomly

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
what about the idea of DUELBATE.
no preparation.
random topics
3 five minute rounds

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yeah another debate is a great idea, I always like going 'opposite' of what i'm fore, because during research i get to learn a lot about the topic at hand, well done OZ for starting a thread on this, good onya

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
what about the idea of DUELBATE.
no preparation.
random topics
3 five minute rounds

Too difficult to do over ATS

Having to research topics you are not familiar with is half the fun of a debate tourny

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Ill debate you on chemtrails...

Chem trails exist because chem trails are made up of H2O, and water is a chemical compound.

I win.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Ill debate you on chemtrails...

Chem trails exist because chem trails are made up of H2O, and water is a chemical compound.

I win.

Double facepalm + desk face

:shk:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Lol I had no idea the debates weren't still going!

I once stumbled across one where Maxmars gave his intro post, and his opponent's intro post was something along the lines of, "I give up".. !!!

Can't wait to see more of you guys debating it out.

Always in good fun when a heated thread turns into a debate by two people with strong, different opinions.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Lol I had no idea the debates weren't still going!

I once stumbled across one where Maxmars gave his intro post, and his opponent's intro post was something along the lines of, "I give up".. !!!

Can't wait to see more of you guys debating it out.

Always in good fun when a heated thread turns into a debate by two people with strong, different opinions.

Damn I missed that one, lol

Why dont you become a fighter?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Feeling a bit frustrated are we?

I think a good portion of ATS would like to see us go at it.
DEBATE wise, that is.

I would be interested in the challenge of a randomly selected topic: MASTERDEBATEOFF vs Oz. or as part of a larger tournament.

I have never participated in a formal debate competition here on ATS and would look forward to it.

What do you say Oz?

AllSeeingI VS OzWeatherMan in a MASTERDEBATEOFF cage match!

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Well, it would certainly be a challenge against you....I dont think Im worthy

But seriously I think a tournament would be the best idea at the moment.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'd certainly sign up. I enjoy a good debate.

Is there a thread on rules/etiquette?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheIrvy
I'd certainly sign up. I enjoy a good debate.

Is there a thread on rules/etiquette?

There is but I suppose these will be detailed in the debate forum

To access the debate forum you need "fighter" status, which you will get when you start your first debate

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So how does it work? I mean people can't put their hands on their heads and say "point of information" can they?

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
So how does it work? I mean people can't put their hands on their heads and say "point of information" can they?

Pretty much, in a nutshell, you get allocated a topic (in tournament mode), the debate itself operates in the following format:

Opening post
Post One
Post Two
Post Three
Closing Statment.

Each debater alternates their posts. I think five socratic questions targeted at your opponent are allowed for each post. I also think you are allowed 24 hours (not 100% sure), to get your post up, and are allowed one 24 hour extension.

A panel of anonymous members votes, the winner being decided by the majority of votes recieved.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea that we get one up and running.

The staff will organize something and we'll have a sign-up thread posted in the very near future.

I'm going to close this thread once I post this for everyone to read, but when we author the sign-up thread it will be there for everyone to chime in and converse accordingly. If anyone has any questions surrounding an ATS debate, u2u a staff member or even an "ATS Fighter" for any assistance.

Closing thread...

TOURNAMENT IS UP!

The Next ATS Debate Tournament: Sign Up!

[edit on 11-5-2009 by chissler]

top topics

join