It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turn a 2-Liter bottle into a 50 watt lightbulb (w/ video)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It's sort of a cheesy version of a sun tube.

www.sun-dome.com...

You can get up to 2000 watts equivalent light with a real sun tube over the 50 watts with a plastic bottle filled with water.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hmm imma go cut some holes in my ceiling!! "light bulbs" is a little bit of an over-statement :p

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
For those of you who are just tuning in, do yourself a favor and read every single post in this thread. You will laugh and you will cry. Free entertainment!

People, this was in no presented as a magical replacement for light bulbs. It is just simple ingenuity to meet a need, in an emergency or in times of dire financial straits. I see it (and appreciate it) as information to file away, just in case the excrement hits the oscillating blades and someone flips the switch on the grid. You know, the kinds of times that you won't be running down to spend a lot of money on a solatube or skylight.

Thanks again for the OP, Scooby Doo!

[edit on 5-11-2009 by WTFover]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by Scooby Doo

... They said something about water, bleach, and some sort of film cover. Can you explain how they are made? I might give it a try this weekend.

Hi HotSauce.

Basically, you get a 2 liter bottle. Fill it with clean water. Add 2 caps full of bleach to the water. Screw on cap. Then take a old black film canister (light proof) and cover the pop bottles cap to protect it from the sun.

The guy in the garage said he had them going for 2 years and no maintenance. I also imagine they are sealed (caulked) into the ceilings so they don't leak. So, once installed, you don't want to have to mess with it much...

Pretty neat idea.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think thats just cool ..Will definatly try this in my shop!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join