It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do digital diaries mess up your brain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Do digital diaries mess up your brain?

www.cnn.com

Using computers to outsource many mental tasks isn't necessarily bad as long as the brain is being stimulated in other ways, said David Bucci, associate professor of psychology at Dartmouth College. With the advent of the calculator, the need to memorize multiplication tables became less important, and hand-held devices such as smart phones and PDAs have eliminated the need to remember phone numbers and to-do lists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This presents an interesting element here...

The fact that we get a chance to remember more of the minute details via our recording of our lives digitally.

I Facebook, twitter, blog to a degree...

Though I have to admit... It's either ATS or these other things, as ATS takes up a large amount of time...

Oh yeah, and there is EVE.

At the end of the day though, there is only so much time, and of course food has to be put on the table as well.

I think at the very least, using all of these technologies in my life, many of them documenting my life and my ideas, causes me to become more aware of how I spend my time.

For example, it's like writing a narrative. I will do more of what I want to see in my narrative. If I want to see more of me doing things with my son, I'll do just that. We'll go play tabletop shuffle board or go bowling or what have you and I'll facebook it.

Twitter is more for my professional life, so that helps me see how my professional narrative is going...

And of course ATS allows me to hammer out my thoughts on a wide range of subjects and a bit more anonymously, because I can warp the persona however I feel and experiment with stances toward ideas.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-11-2009 by HunkaHunka]

join