It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fear detector' being developed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

'Fear detector' being developed

www.physorg.com

British scientists are aiming to develop a device that can detect the smell of fear, and that could one day identify terrorists, drug smugglers, and other criminals.

After a feasibility study is complete, two devices are expected to be designed to identify the fear pheromone in human sweat; one by laser absorption, and the other by a portable optical fiber instrument. The devices could be used to help police identify abnormal behavior at big events such as the 2012 Olympics.

scientists h
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

scientists hope to use the effect to develop security systems that can detect the fear pheromone.

This is getting ridiculous now
Fear is a natural feeling!

Imagine if they start having these at airports or even as an add-on to CCTVs.

Someone is scared or nervous for a job interview, scared to miss his plane, scared because he thought his wife saw him kiss another woman, scared because.... whatever reason, that person is a potential criminal.

We are turning into a society of paranoia, where's the vaccine for that?

What type of world will we live in in like 20 years from now?

I have a feeling it won't be like star trek where everyone is super intelligent but rather like ancient egypt where slaves were used to build whatever a leader wanted them to with whips and threats of death.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I love it.

So if you are afraid of flying, you may be detected in an airport as a terrorist.

Classic.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
awesome technology. i didnt know they could actually make something like that that didnt analyze facial expressions.

i want one!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I could see this being abused.

What if you are afraid of your own shadow?

Lot's of people are afraid while out in public for a variety of reasons.

I am afraid of large crowds for instance. So, I guess that would make me a terrorist?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well if it is bush's fault, then he shuold be bought up on charges of terrorism, for knowingly and willingly destroying the nation. If this is his, or he is onvovled in this, and knew this was inebidable..then thats careless destruction.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Put a group of financial/ corporate or political leaders in a room with this smell detector and lots of people with all questions under the sun and a camera running live to a internet feed, and we should be able to find out who the REAL terrorists are.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

sounds like a game show to me.

fear factor would be a lot harder to win.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Crap! My Mother has had one of those for over 40 years. She always knew when I was up to something and she still does.

We can't accept using a person for profiling because of political correctness, so now we'll just use a machine. I hope that this thing is more accurate than a breathalyzer.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by JIMC5499]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think they were trying to tell us something when they made that Equilibrium movie, at least the good thing is the facist dictatorship at the end was overthrown by 1 man.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yea but innocent people fear authority everyday.....

just another way to "catch" people.......who probably didn't do anything wrong anyway....

Could have some good uses but u never know who is going to do what with the technology...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
Yea but innocent people fear authority everyday.....

just another way to "catch" people.......who probably didn't do anything wrong anyway....

True. I was invited to a dart tournament last Saturday. I didn't go because there was going to be at least four DUI checkpoints between the tournament and my home. I didn't want to take a chance on clearing all four checkpoints even though I wouldn't have been drinking that night. a few years ago I had a breathalyser give me a .04 even though I hadn't had anything with alcohol to drink for several days.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by JIMC5499]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ok, so now if you've had too many cups of coffee and you're feeling anxious of say FLYING, then you're suspect of any number of crimes?

Why don't we just skip the formalities and put everyone's name on the terrorist watch list? That is the end result of this horrible mismanagement of our wonderful country. Regardless of their actual intentions.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
i am afraid of the fear detectors.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
what is next... everything eventually.

join