It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Pullout takes Poland by surprise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Spain's decision to pull its troops out of Iraq has caused some concern with Poland (and other coalition supporters) that the loss of their troops would create a security vacuum in an increasingly violent area. The US has tried to calm them with Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt saying '"Numerically those are numbers (the Spanish contingent) that should be able to be replaced in fairly short order".

"There will not be a security vacuum in that area at any time."' But, it begs the question, how will this affect the other coalition partners?

CNN.com

WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- Spain's sudden announcement that it would pull its troops out of Iraq left other members of the multinational force scrambling Monday to come up with a plan for keeping the peace in what has become one of the most tumultuous regions of the country.

Poland, which commands the 23-nation force of 9,500 troops in south-central Iraq, said it was taken by surprise by the announcement Sunday that Spain, the third-largest contributor with 1,300 troops, would be pulling out.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder if this is part of Italy's motivation to do an about-face in their support of the coalition?

Related Story

Italian War Support Wanes

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Hamburglar]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I guess I'm a lttle surprised by Poland's surprise. Spain has said they would do this since the election. They may have moved their timetable up a little bit but that's hardly surprising from a pacifist, cut and run government!

new topics

join