It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frightening Movies....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Can anyone recommend a good frightening movie? I have been searching the Internet for frightening movies and it keeps coming up with the same batch of movies, which IMO are not, i.e The Exorsist, Alien, The Shinning, Freddie ect. Now, those movies are great, real classics. Though i don't find them scary or frightening. I like movies that play with the mind like the Blair Witch Project did, I found that movie scary, because i can relate to it so much.

With it comming up to Halloween i thought i mite watch a good scary movie! Can't wait for The Paranormal to come to cinema in my area.

So can anyone recommend any good frightening movies?

Tsom87

P.S Please don't say ''The Last Broadcast''!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
the two movies that scared me the most when I was younger:

The Omen - that music was horrific
The Sentinel (the '77 film).

The exorcist was a good one, as was the original Children of the Corn, the first Halloween, the first Friday the 13th, Phantasm is a campy classic and Night of the Living Dead deserves mention. Once the Dead series went to color it was no longer as scary, more gory than scary.

Damn, almost forgot Jacob's Ladder. Sit through that, beginning to end and see how your brain feels.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Crakeur]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

Damn, almost forgot Jacob's Ladder. Sit through that, beginning to end and see how your brain feels.

I am glad that you remembered this movie and included it. Out of all mentioned, I have never seen Jacob's Ladder and am looking forward to watching it.

It's funny how you forget that you wanted to watch something and as time goes by you just never remember it, until one day it is mentioned somewhere and jogs the old memory.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

Oohhh I love horror movie

Well like crakeur suggested I would go with the "Omen" as well...that kid is freaky.
How about "The Shinning" or "Sign." Yeah "Signs" freaks me out to this day....lol I am waiting to watch "communion," the 80's version and I hear its pretty freaky.

Here are some others:

"Night of the Living Dead" the original and the original "Omen" as well.

The "28 Days" movies, those really messed with my head. I like zombies but when they are fast and smart moving, well no so much

"Haute Tension" or ""High Tension" it uses subtitles or its been dubbed but that is one movie that messes with your head and at the head I was like WTF!

"The Ring" ~ that movie freaked me out esp the sound made by that freaky girl...lol

"Suspiria"~ just saw this one, not that bad really.

"The Sixth Sense" that movie really messes with your head, but really only the first time...I still love that movie

Also is you need some more movie suggestions this is a great site for all your horror needs

The Best Horror Movies

If you dont know some of the movies then you can look them up on here:
If you already know this site then NM, but if not I use it every time I want to see a new movie I have never really heard of. Its great and the ratings are usually pretty good and accurate.
IMDB

For me the only mvie that really freaks me out is "Signs." I will have every light on in the house when I watch that. Nothing freaks me out more than aliens in cupboards or on my roof

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

For me the only mvie that really freaks me out is "Signs." I will have every light on in the house when I watch that. Nothing freaks me out more than aliens in cupboards or on my roof

Or in the MIRROR.... :shk:

Don't look in the mirror, they might be looking back at you....

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
How could I forget Alien, having just watched it?

Claustrophobic setting, a new type of killer. Space, nobody can hear you scream.....

great flick.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Or in the MIRROR.... :shk:

Don't look in the mirror, they might be looking back at you....

LOL yeah I wont watch that in my room with all the mirrors I have in here...NO WAY! I will be watching it this weekend though

OP I just thought of another movie I watched the other day, "Mirrors" with Keifer Sutherland. It wasnt that bad, spooky though.

Oh and dont forget the "creepshow" series!! as well as "tales from the crypt" Those are classic IMO.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This one frightened my wife... I thought it was, just ok.

Shuttle

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The Ring and The Grudge are pretty good, so was that one about the Eye with Jessica Alba....(if you're looking for scary, but not campy gore-fests)....I also liked Pulse. Darkness Falls is another (you'll never think about the Tooth Fairy the same way ever again...)

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The shinning....Jack Nicholson

Halloween...yes there is a movie from the 70s and its scary.

Agree Alien would be the best suspence movie ever made.

Omen is way scarier than the Exorcist....theres only so much writhing Linda Blair one can take, and 'the power of christ compels you' makes me laugh when i hear it, too many horror spoofs on it to take it seriously...but in its day.....

Psycho-a staple in my household, Hitchcoks 2nd best.

Polanskis Rosemarys baby...she's been raped by satan.

Brian De Palma -Carrie

Jaws still scares me, but I live on the beach.

Seven with Pitt, but youve prolly watched it.

Poltergeist is damn good i think...Speilberg.

Then kitch horror.
The Evil dead ( I still remeber the tree roots molestation scene eeeeek, and I watched it when I was 13! lol )

Texas Chainsaw massacre

Nightmare on elm street...1 2 Freddys coming for you 3 4 you better lock your door 5 6 grab your crucifix...7 8 stay up late...9 10 never sleep again ...
edit to add:MUUHHAHAHAHAHAHA

[edit on 30-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I agree with others:

Omen, Exorcist, Shining, Rosemary's Baby and Poltergeist are all great scary ones that are older.

The Ring, Grudge, One Missed Call, and Unborn are all good Japanese/American remakes.

I liked Descent, The Ruins, Event Horizon (totally freaky), Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Ghost movies: Sixth Sense, The Others, Haunting in Connecticut (just saw that one - its good)

A few other B movies that I like:
Ghost Ship, Shrooms

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Theres a Spanish horror film called 'Rec' thats won quite a few awards - as scary films go its an absolute winner.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The book of The Ruins is absolutely terrifying (the film pales in comparison)... The plants have much more capable traits, and a lot more fear factors....

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'd be interested in reading it. Do you happen to remember who the author is?

I really did like the film, but the plants with more skills would be uber awesome!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Yeah, I saw REC as well - both the spanish and the american versions. At the end they totally go in different directions. It will be interesting to see where the sequel takes each of them.

Yes, totally scary movie. I recommend either, but if you watch them both, watch the spanish one first. (I didn't and regretted it.)

I'll go ahead and add Cloverfield, its a good flick. Not so much scary as exciting.

But along those lines, I also liked The Host, a korean film, I belive.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Last Exorcism
Exorcism of Emily Rose
Others
Uninvited
Shelter
Fragile

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Add Insidious to this list. (came out after this thread was started). One of the scariest and creepiest movies I've ever seen.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I thought Insidious was pretty bad... didn't scare me at all, didn't creep me out. Just like Paranormal Activity, I thought they were both really, really bland and uninteresting.

REC was pretty good in my opinion. I hate watching films with subs because it makes it harder to focus on what's going on, but I really liked it. The American version, Quarantine I believe it was, was AWFUL. Literally, this is the ONLY movie in my WHOLE LIFE I have ever walked out on. I just thought it was mind numbingly boring.

The ending of REC was creepy as hell, I won't ruin it for anyone, but what you see through those night vision goggles or whatever they were was pretty damn scary in my opinion. Not "it" itself, just the whole situation. Creepy.

I thought Signs was pretty creepy too. Not really scary, and I don't have any fear of aliens or anything, but something about that movie just creeped me out.

Silent Hill was also good.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of some spooky movies, nothing really comes to mind, as I don't really find that many movies scary. Blair witch project really freaked me out when I first saw it.

I'll post again if I can think of any better ones.

top topics

join