It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ancients Series | Part I: Sumerians

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Thanks again.

Great research & Expression.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
This makes a lot of sense. So in the bible, Enki and his followers would be the fallen angels while Enlil would be the almighty. you could connect the dots now.

Sumer literally translates to ‘Land of the Lords of Brightness’.

Land of Lucifer. Enlil did not want us to eat the apple because he knew we would turn out the way we are today. While Enki felt compassionate to make us like them. It seems that Enki was not as smart as Enlil.

Enlil was a prick, who was givin dominion over the earth by his daddy Anu.
Enki did all the hard work making the land habitable for the Anunnaki.
Then making humans to be their slaves so the "gods" didn't get their hands dirty.
Enlil hated humans and would've preferred us all dead.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

I do have a question though. I thought Enki and Enlil had a sister that was involved with man as well. Did I dream this?

Enki's ( Enlil's half sister) sister's name was Ninharsag and it was her womb that carried the first human. She is the Mother Goddess.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by TriggerFish]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A wonderful overview of the ancients

S & F for you! Look forward to giving part two a few as well!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Great post! Very informative and will hopefully lead others to do more research on their own. One slight update. I think the latest info on DNA is the shape is a torus not a double helix.
reference: nar.oxfordjournals.org...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Nice post. I am looking forward to part two. I have been interested in the Sumerian story since I first learned of it. I have always felt that the “true” story of our past, present, and future had more to do with the combination of the religious, historical, and archeological records as a whole rather than the segregated pieces many defend as the entirety. I’m always amazed at the people that have no problem with winged beings delivering messages from God in chariots of fire but laugh at the insanity of aliens.

s&f

[edit on 29-10-2009 by liveandletlive]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I hate to say this, as I believe that all religions are more or less just different variations of one another, but I REALLY have a hard time seeing similarities between the bible and epic? perhaps someone could offer more evidence?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Sumer literally translates to ‘Land of the Lords of Brightness’. What possible reasoning could there to call it this? After all, the naming of a nation and one’s land held detrimental importance not only for ancient cultures but for modern day ones aswell.

Doesn't El in "Hebrew" mean "shinning"? At least one of the possible meanings.

If I remember correctly, "the Elohim" literally means "the Shinning Ones" and could be the reason why the name "Sumer" or "land of the Lords of Brightness".

Quite a coincidence that the Sumerians named their city after the "lords of brightness" and in Hebrew "the Gods", and the most high "El" himself are "the Shinning ones".

Of course, Sumer is Sumerian, and Elohim is ancient Hebrew, but just wanted to point out this "coincidence".

The word Elohim, which coincidentally is plural, is the one used in the Hebrew bible the most, and it is supposed to be the word for "God", but for ages it was thought, or hidden as meaning singular when in reality it is plural and should have been translated as "the Gods", or "the Shining Ones".

This would be why the translations in "old bibles" of Genesis 1:26 says "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness".

One example of the few REAL translations which you can still find from a scholarly source and which points to this fact that I am stating is the following link.

Gen 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

www.apostolic.edu...

It should be, and "The Gods", or "And The Shining Ones said, Let us make man in our own image."

I have noticed that in "online" copies of this passage many sites have changed it to say "God created man in his own image". Obviously to hide the fact that the translation of "Elohim" should be plural, as in "Gods", or "The Shining Ones".

Priests, and bible scholars who happen to be of one Christian denomination or another try to explain this as if it is some type of error in our translation, or that it symbolizes the many dualities of the One God, or they make many other excuses of why everyone else but them is wrong.

It is also a fact that for example angels happen to have the name "Elohim" after them, as if showing that each angel is an Elohim, such as "Benai, or B'nai Elohim".

The B'nai Elohim are supposedly translated as "the Sons of God", but since Elohim in the original hebrew itself is plural, it should be "the sons of the Gods."

Also, the Seraph, which is the root form of "seraphim" have as a distinguishing characteristic of "brilliance" or "fire", but Isaiah claims that these brilliant angels are a tool of Satan, and they are those angels who followed Satan.

Oddly enough the angels that have been giving mankind knowledge are the evil ones and are tied to Satan, or the devil, meanwhile El wanted us to remain in ignorance. At least that is what it looks like.

Adam, and Eve were forbidden to eat from ONE tree, and that tree was the "tree of knowledge." Why would El wanted us to remain ignorant? Maybe because we would see that he was not really a "God"?

Anyway, even the bible itself shows, just like other different cultures do, that some of the angels consorted with women from Earth, and from them came men of reknown.

"The B'nai Elohim saw the daughters of Adam, that they were fit extensions. And they took wives for themselves from all those that they chose...The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and even afterwards when the B'nai Elohim CAME IN TO the daughters of Adam, and they bore to them -- they were Powerful Ones which existed from ancient times, the men of name." (from the Interlinear Hebrew Bible Genesis 6)

Anyway, I am getting away form what I was trying to say, and don't want to derail the thread.

BTW, great thread, starred, and flagged.

[edited for errors and to add comments]

[edit on 29-10-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriggerFish
reply to post by serbsta

If anyone is truely interested in what is going on in the world today, you
should study everything possible about the Sumerians and the Anunnaki.

The Elite are. Ask yourself, why was the Bagdad Museum plundered?
Why, upon us entering Iraq, most of the archeological sites were quickly
excavated and all artifacts removed out of country?

I flag you for trying but this is a simple explanation of a complex history.
With some glaring problems.

To the rest of you, ever wonder about the concept of time and why the clock has twelve hours, sixty minutes to the hour, sixty seconds to the minute?

There were twelve major Anunnaki gods and the Anunnaki used a base sixty counting system.

I would say this proves existance over myth.

Good job on the Sumerian legends and studying their culture. The great flood in the bible is a retelling of the Sumerian legend of the flood at that time, so is the Garden of Eden. I never looked into this culture until 6 months ago because nobody never really gave it any importance in history, seriously. You hear about the Egypt Greece and other cultures backward and forward, but this one is not only not talked about, you have to go look for it. I think as Serbsta and others have pointed out over the months is that the reason MSM and Academia don't dwell to deeply into the Sumerian culture is one the timeline and two the inaccuracies that would come about. One is at least 4,000 years ago Sumer sprouted out of nowhere, if that happened it sure destroys the earth is 5 or 6 thousand years old myth. Aother thing that would hurt christianity and branches of it would be what was talked about, the Garden of E den (Eden) and the Great Flood being a story thousands of years before it was written in the scriptures. They would have to admit that the bible is a rip of another cultures legends long before.

Also as you pointed out the 60 system and how we use 60 seconds for one minute and 60 minutes for one hour and 60 times 6 give you 360 degrees etc. etc.. They found out that this worked perfectly for smaller calculations and such. And then there where the 2 to 6 cm cylinder seals that they used to roll over clay that acted in essence as a printing press. They try to make us forget by not talking about a civilization that predates the religious peoples idea of when the world started and who wrote what.

Also Serbsta you said that the Sumerians where called The Big Heads, I have done a little research and they where called The Black Headed People. Just google and/or wiki and you will see. Our history on this planet is being obfuscated and outright lied to cover up something so terrifying to the powers that be and religion, that they are willing to tell you that you should believe us instead of your lying eyes. Here's a link to the other cultures creation myths in wiki, you will be shocked and the similiarities across the planet about flooding and some of them in regard to more than one sun (Orok) hmmmm.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

reply to post by serbsta

To the rest of you, ever wonder about the concept of time and why the clock has twelve hours, sixty minutes to the hour, sixty seconds to the minute?

There were twelve major Anunnaki gods and the Anunnaki used a base sixty counting system.

I would say this proves existance over myth.

Yes you are correct, the base 60 system was originally developed by the Sumerians along with the 12 month calendar. But i didn't include that in this thread because it would simply make it too long and i made this only to serve as a basic spark point for others to research further.

More information on the Sexagesimal system here:

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.psinvention.com...

Originally posted by Seanbomber
I hate to say this, as I believe that all religions are more or less just different variations of one another, but I REALLY have a hard time seeing similarities between the bible and epic? perhaps someone could offer more evidence?

Indeed, there are far too many similarities within mythology throughout many cultures worldwide. I, and others like to call this UNITY OF MYTH. Making adequate research of this theory would take a long time and a really dedicated person though.

Yes, i only posted a couple of examples of some similarities. There has however been some threads which show more right here on ATS, have a search. Here's some more information on this.

meta-religion.com...
www.religioustolerance.org...
www.angelfire.com...
santitafarella.wordpress.com...

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Sumer literally translates to ‘Land of the Lords of Brightness’. What possible reasoning could there to call it this? After all, the naming of a nation and one’s land held detrimental importance not only for ancient cultures but for modern day ones aswell.

If I remember correctly, "the Elohim" literally means "the Shinning Ones" and could be the reason why the name "Sumer" or "land of the Lords of Brightness".

Quite a coincidence that the Sumerians named their city after the "lords of brightness" and in Hebrew "the Gods", and the most high "El" himself are "the Shinning ones".

The word Elohim, which coincidentally is plural, is the one used in the Hebrew bible the most, and it is supposed to be the word for "God", but for ages it was thought, or hidden as meaning singular when in reality it is plural and should have been translated as "the Gods", or "the Shining Ones".

This would be why the translations in "old bibles" of Genesis 1:26 says "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness".

One example of the few REAL translations which you can still find from a scholarly source and which points to this fact that I am stating is the following link.

Gen 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

www.apostolic.edu...

It should be, and "The Gods", or "And The Shining Ones said, Let us make man in our own image."

I have noticed that in "online" copies of this passage many sites have changed it to say "God created man in his own image". Obviously to hide the fact that the translation of "Elohim" should be plural, as in "Gods", or "The Shining Ones".

Priests, and bible scholars who happen to be of one Christian denomination or another try to explain this as if it is some type of error in our translation, or that it symbolizes the many dualities of the One God, or they make many other excuses of why everyone else but them is wrong.

It is also a fact that for example angels happen to have the name "Elohim" after them, as if showing that each angel is an Elohim, such as "Benai, or B'nai Elohim".

The B'nai Elohim are supposedly translated as "the Sons of God", but since Elohim in the original hebrew itself is plural, it should be "the sons of the Gods."

Also, the Seraph, which is the root form of "seraphim" have as a distinguishing characteristic of "brilliance" or "fire", but Isaiah claims that these brilliant angels are a tool of Satan, and they are those angels who followed Satan.

Starred for that. Lots of further insightful information!

I find it odd aswell... it's as if our current religious texts are depicting the evil as good and the good as evil? Hmmm.

What this does is remind of this:

Exodus 20:3, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

I don't know about anyone else but to me that sounds like the words of someone who is very paranoid and wants to maintain control.

Excellent post by the way, thanks.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Starred for that. Lots of further insightful information!

I find it odd aswell... it's as if our current religious texts are depicting the evil as good and the good as evil? Hmmm.

What this does is remind of this:

Exodus 20:3, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

I don't know about anyone else but to me that sounds like the words of someone who is very paranoid and wants to maintain control.

Excellent post by the way, thanks.

Thanks. If you take into context ALL the stories told by the different cultures there has been a struggle for POWER among the "celestials", and El and some of the other "celestials" wanted to maintain control and to keep humans in ignorance, meanwhile other celestials not only took pity of mankind but they also multiplied with the women of the Earth.

That would explain the "missing link", or the jump that made mankind into what we are.

But yes, it is odd that it seems that El, or the one who wants to remain as the highest of the Gods has always wanted to keep mankind in ignorance.

You can better control people if they are ignorant after all.

But then again El, and those who follow him claim that this "knowledge' imparted by the "celestials" who have been fighting El and for mankind are labeled as the "evil ones", and as "the devil, or Satan himself is just deceiving us".

But who is really deceiving us? Those who want mankind to have knowledge, and have been giving us that knowledge, or those who from the beginning wanted us to be ignorant? and because Adam ate from the tree of "knowledge" he imparted "the ORIGINAL SIN" into mankind.

But in reality for El, and those who follow him "the original sin" is the fact that the nephilim laid with the women of the Earth, and gave them mighty sons as well as knowledge.

IMO, all of these ancient text are telling us about the fight for power between celestials, and El wants mankind to think he is the one God.

I believe, and have experienced the "spiritual world", but imo El, or the highest God, is not really a God, and is not impotent, and ommipresent.

He is not the entity/force that emcompasses and is part of the entire Universe, and is part of every living thing, as well as inanimate objects. But he has been trying, and for the most part succeded into "deceiving" mankind that he is "God".

But that's just me.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I think this post is pretty good but it smacks of Sitchinism. I think however that it is good that many in todays culture have taken an interest in these topics. this is an area of interest that has been discussed and debated in lodges for two hundred years now. however the Sitian spin has distorted the truth.
I dont doubt that the earth was visited by extraterrestrials at some point in the remote past, but I dont buy the bull about space aliens creating man. The stories in the bible, enuma elish, and in the mythologies of the greeks all agree on this point. man was made by the gods. but who were the gods.
nothing in any of the mentioned text takes place anywhere except on the earth. the chronicles of these cultures including the bible all have a specific geographical area of origin. The area in and around Turkey or asia minor and what today is called the middle east. let me submit that the bible, enuma elish, and the greek myths all tell of the same story relating to a particular segment of humanity namely the caucasians and their reabsorption into civilization.
The creation myth is a story of "mankind" comming out of savagry into civilization. the theme in all these stories is knowledge and wisdom. the source of this knowledge is the black people of the earth. Egypt being the principle repository for this light. White folk were driven out of human society because of fear and their birth portended the comming of Nibiru and a great catastrophe which destroyed a good portion of human civilization. this is hinted at in the story of Noah in one of the lost books (cant remember which).
Nature favors life. this is why the gene of albinism exists in every species. it is a mutation in the socalled white race in that it is dominant in them vs. recessive it is natures way of preserving life in prolonged darkness. 30-50 thousand years ago several "indian" aryan tribes in the middle east gave birth to an inordinant amount of albino children. in nearly all cultures albinos were and are magical and sometimes seen as portents. they were driven into the caucasus mountains including into europe by the people to placate the the evil and forgotton. Nibiru passed, the fertile crescent was dessimated by flood, time went on and the area repopulated by dravidians africans and some surviving aryas. The dominant being dravidian. sumer is akin to dravidian poli not semetic.
Zakar is another term used for Adam and it means remembered. this is just what happened after the dust had cleared. the descendent of the original whites by now had lost all knowledge of themselves. "Enlil" saw an opportunity for slave labor "Enki" disagreed and we have the genesis story the loki story the promethius story. note in one form of the promethius myth he is bound on the caucasus and in another he is bound to the atlas mountains.
The story of Adam (Adamu) is the story of the white mans re-absorption into civilization and untimely introduction into the mysteries(educational system) of the Nachash(Nahasi,Naga) Serpent race(black people) by god "Enki".
There may have been E.T.s to come to earth, what they contributed is unknown. know this. black people the world over in their original selves are animist. animism is not a religion in fact it is a relationship with nature. gods dont need religion as it means to re-join, kemet-africans and blacks in general never had what you call religion but True Science. i wont say much more as i will not be the modern promethius. but all this alien god stuff testifies to the need in the albion man for redemption (reabsorption) promethius gave him light but before he was ready. and he mistook the reflection for the real thing now he imagins himself to be god when creation is saying submit. E.T. contacts nearly all say the same thing. All of creation is begging the white man to grow up!
"see contact from iarga"

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What better way to deceive mankind than to have most of mankind believe "El" is God"?

Makes you think doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by voodooplaya37

There is some truth in your post, but I kind of see it as racist, trying to protray "the black man" as the wisest of all races.

Many people try to do the same about their race, from white, to chinese/yellow to brown/Maya... Someone, somewhere ALWAYS tries to make "his/her" race as "the wisest"....

The native Americans/maya, and the hindus/india have as much, if not more knowledge than the "black race".

Please let's not make this about "race"...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

The Anunnaki developed and used the base sixty method,
The Sumerians said they were given this by the Anunnaki.

For a people who supposedly just emerged from there caves
the Sumerians had a very modern society.
They had Doctors, Lawyers, Bakers, Accountants, Teachers, Builders, Farmers, Scientists, the list goes on.

How did the Sumerians know that Neptune was blue?
Or how did they know Saturn had rings?
They describe invitro fertilization, cloning, and gene splicing.

The Sumerians said that the Anunnaki gave them this knowledge.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
As fascinating as Sumerian history, it's unfortunate that it's attracted a dedicated camp of pseudo-historians that are rewriting our ancient history in favor of the "ancient astronaut" origins of mankind. I can appreciate the OP's intent to write about the Sumerians but much of what I've seen in the post borrows too strongly from Sitchen and Van Daniken and not from academia (and usually I'm one of the ones attacking academia for it's shortcomings!)

To start with the Sumerians did not appear mysteriously from nowhere, they descended from the Zagros mountain regions to the alluvial plains of the Tigris and Euphrates and mixed with the Ubaidian culture.

Ubaid designates an archeological site in southernmost Mesopotamia, and archeological research has shown it to have had a very early and wide-ranging influence, this pottery culture became the chief influence upon the Sumerians. The Ubaid culture is recognized not for achieving civilization, but something crucial to it: the stratification of their culture, with a division of labor, that allowed members to engage in the cultivation of grains, pottery making and textiles. In short, these were the stepping stones needed for a culture or people to achieve true civilization, which occurred after the Sumerian peoples moved south and encountered the Ubaid culture, and absorbed much of their cultural tendencies.

The Sumerians themselves were always under threat of invasion from the "wild peoples", while also mixing with other peoples such as the Akkadians. Eventually the Assyrians overran their cities - and in similar fashion to the way the Sumerians absorbed culture from the Ubaid peoples, the Assyrians absorbed much of their culture, religion, and writing from the Sumerians - so much so, that they in effect "became" Sumerians, the people they conquered. We only know of Sumerian history not by what they themselves left behind in the form of cuneiform writing, but by what the Assyrians left behind. In fact the study of ancient Mesopotamia was labeled "Assyriology". Most Assyrian epics and texts are based on earlier Sumerian or Akkadian texts. Even the famed epic, Enuma Elish, was a Babylonian text based on an Assyrian text based on a Sumerian text.

The parallels between the Hebrew bible (the Torah) and Sumerian texts arise from the fact that Abraham was from the Sumerian city of Ur, the son of Terah an oracle priest to the temple of Nanna. Much of the Sumerian creation tale became the basis for the Torah, although under Abraham the Israelites rejected all deities with the exception of Yahweh.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The Sumerians said that the Anunnaki gave them this knowledge

Did they? Or is it that Sitchin says that the Sumerians say they received this knowledge from the Annunaki?

1976 was a strange year, Sitchin and Von Daniken must have been engaged in a literary arms race to see who could credit ET's with founding ancient civilizations first.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Mitochondrial Eve, the Matriarch of all humans alive today came from
eastern Africa 140,000 to 290,000 years ago.

In studying the Y chromosome scientists have determined the male Patriarch of all living human beings today came from Africa at about
270,000 years ago.

I dont see where race plays any part in the origin of humanity, we all came from the same pot.

Ironically the Sumerians said that the Anunnaki created the first human's
in eastern Africa 240,000 years ago.

www.archaeology.org...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I was trying my best to not go into it too much but again, you have to understand the purpose of the thread. It was to introduce the basic of areas of interest and debate for those who are new to this in regards to Sumerians, i had to at least hint it at times.

Informative post though, thankyou.

Ironically the Sumerians said that the Anunnaki created the first human's
in eastern Africa 240,000 years ago.

Can you please source where the Sumerians said this?

[edit on 29/10/2009 by serbsta]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Correct me If I'm wrong but the Sumerian's didn't just appear out of no where. There are other cultures that pre date them.

• 5500 BC and 2750 BC Cucuteni-Trypillian culture - Agriculture, Domestic Animals, Cereal Crops
  • 6500–5500 B.C. Halaf Culture - Settled farming society, Fine Pottery/Jewellery

Then you have the Tartaria tablets which pre date Sumer/Sumerian script/text by 1000 yrs.

civilization is a lot older than previously thought, but we just have to keep on doing research and keeping an open mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join