It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gosh darn americans

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
i watching the news the other night, i saw these bony childrens that live in 3rd world countries. they are so skinny it even made my 120 lb friend look like a fat ass. i can't help but feel the deepest sympethy for them and wish theres something i could do. it made me thank god so much for living in a nice california suburbs. god they die off something in which we regard as everyday granted essensial (sp?) FOOD!!! god damn americans, we waste so much food. sometimes i just have the uncontrolable urge to go up to someone fat and tell them to skip a meal or two

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I agree, and although we are all guilty of this, there are some in the american culture who, if they put aside 1% of their income, could save thousands and thousands of lives... its saddening to see so many lard asses walking around stuffing their faces when there are starving people all over the world.. i can barely make ends meet for myself and i still donate to charity when i can, so i dont understand why these rich fat cats cant do the same...

the world is a cruel place 2009... and humans make it worse

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
When did starving children become our fault? By your standards we should deprive ourselves because others suffer. That would be foolish.

Suffering is the human condition. Even a fat happy american faces suffering. Just because his stomach isn't eating through his back doesn't mean he's "lucky". Truly, if we stamped out hunger there would still be something for you to rant about. Its just life. You either pimp it or die hungry.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
i think people should deprive themselves to help their fellow human. its not your fault personally but it can be blamed on some of the overtly rich who use poor nations and poor people to increase their own wealth. I understand suffering is part of life, but the suffering you endure is nothing compared to the suffering endured by these starving children, who have never been given a chance. I know a defense is that these rich fat cats work hard for their money so let them have it. but the poor they use to gain the money work harder and are never given a chance to grow from their downtrodden lives. and its not just america that does this, the whole western world does, and well i guess thats just life and it still sucks

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The reason that there are starving people in the world is not because there is a lack of food. A fat person who eats an extra cheeseburger isn't taking it out of the mouth of a starving person. There is plenty of food to go around. The government routinely controls the production of crops and tells many farmers to not grow crops in order to keep market prices where they want them.

These people are poor because they can't afford to buy any food. It is a problem of economics. So if you want to blame anyone, blame the rich people who do nothing to help others and lay off the fat people.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by greenkoolaid]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
The reason that there are starving people in the world is not because there is a lack of food. A fat person who eats an extra cheeseburger isn't taking it out of the mouth of a starving person. There is plenty of food to go around. The government routinely controls the production of crops and tells many farmers to not grow crops in order to keep market prices where they want them.

These people are poor because they can't afford to buy any food. It is a problem of economics. So if you want to blame anyone, blame the rich people who do nothing to help others and lay off the fat people.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by greenkoolaid]

I have to agree with greenkoolaid. There is plenty to go around, if anything it's the ultra rich and our govt's who should be doing something, they're already stealing money from us and all they can think about is blowing up other countries and warring with one another instead of finding a solution to these problems. We live in a very selfish greed ridden society and it sickens me to the core of my being.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
several years ago John Stossel ran an extremely controversial piece on 20/20, claiming that rich people did more for the poor by consuming than by giving to charity. His piece argued that giving people money just maintained their lifestyle, whereas consumerism by the rich gave them jobs. He detailed the charity of multimillionaires like Ted Turner, and contrasted it with the then CEO of (I think) cisco systems.

Stossel's point was that global wealth is not a zero-sum game. It is not a limited pie where my slice is reduced if you get more.

The key IS economic, and helping other to eventually become self-reliant.

Maybe so, but I am active in my towns meals on wheels and community food pantry.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Perhaps this would be a good time to think upon some Ancient Wisdom found within 'Tibetan Buddhism' & how it reflects similar thoughts as to those that have already been said, by those who have Awakened to see The Truth. The question is what to do now that you are Aware, so that you may then find 'Enlightenment'.

The Four Noble Truths
These truth are called noble because they can only be comprehended by those who
have seriously embarked on the path in search of enlightenment. These
fundamental truths are:

1. the truth of suffering: life is suffering
2. the truth of origin of suffering: craving and attachment leads to suffering
3. the truth of cessation of suffering: detachment and elimination of craving
4. the truth of the path leading to cessation of suffering: the Eightfold Path

Sound familiar? Strange that so many people are still completely blind to the things which so many others see clearly, isn't it?

This Eightfold Path
Leading to the extinction of suffering, is the heart of the Middle Way taught by the Buddha and when �rightly� followed requires:
1. right view
2. right thought/purpose
3. right speech
4. right action
5. right livelihood
6. right effort
7. right awareness/mindfulness
8. right meditative concentration

The Three Characteristics of Existence
The three characteristics of existence according to the Buddha are:
1. suffering, physical and mental including incompleteness in thought,
relationship and actions: experiences are transient
2. impermanence: decay and change
3. selflessness: there is no self

Hopefully this will at least help some find some balance, direction and peace of mind in the midst of witnessing 'The Great Show of Reality'.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
although i study buddism and the four noble truth, i still insist on thinking that it's just not fair. i know suffering is a part of life, but to die off melnutrition and starvation is just something beyond suffering. i can't even go 24 hours without at least some food. it's sickning.

it's just too cruel that these childrens doesn't even have any choices. the point of their life is to keep some ignorant westerner full and happy. they live so that they can die without even realizing anything good in life. they saw hate and agnoy before or they wont even saw love and a good life.

i know i can't make much difference in the world, but i sure damn well try my best. that's why i want to be a US marine and later go to be a doctor. i just want to make some kid's day seem happier and brighter.

- "the government got money for war, but they ain't got money to feed the poor"

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2009
although i study Buddhism and the four noble truth, i still insist on thinking that it's just not fair. i know suffering is a part of life, but to die off malnutrition and starvation is just something beyond suffering. i can't even go 24 hours without at least some food. it's sickning.

Well, I don't exactly remember where it is written that 'Life is Fair' either. Fairness is really just another concept of comparing duality after all.

You're correct though, most children in 3rd world countries live in extremely bad conditions and suffer from all kinds of things that almost no Westerner can even imagine. True as it may be that they are suffering along with millions of others everywhere else, even right here in the U.S., it helps nothing to allow those thoughts to cause more suffering within your own life.

Also it is very good that you have such compassion for others in need and a desire to ease some of their suffering if possible. You seem to be taking on some part of the Blame though. Perhaps out of guilt or something else. You will first need to stop causing yourself this extra pain before you can truly help anyone else though. After all, you cannot tend to a sick plant by adding unhealthy soil, incorrect fertilizers or unclean water into the mix. Even though the 'right thoughts & intentions' are present, you must also know the 'right actions' for your help to work in the 'right Way'.

it's just too cruel that these children's doesn't even have any choices. the point of their life is to keep some ignorant westerner full and happy. they live so that they can die without even realizing anything good in life. they saw hate and agony before or they wont even saw love and a good life.

i know i can't make much difference in the world, but i sure damn well try my best. that's why i want to be a US marine and later go to be a doctor. i just want to make some kid's day seem happier and brighter.

- "the government got money for war, but they ain't got money to feed the poor"

It's interesting that you see the Military as your ticket to Helping the Lives of Others, while at the same time are completely aware of the fact that it is the very same Beast which has caused so much of the suffering in the world that you intend on fixing. Like you said, The Government has and spends the bulk of the money and resources to Wage War.

Ironical, it is usually a War against 3rd World Nations full of suffering people, and even with the alleged purpose of Helping Them. Once again, even you pointed out that the help they need the most are things like 'Food, Water, Housing, Health care, etc.', not fighting and death and pain, which they already have in abundance. I personally have never understood how People have managed to believe in the idea of 'War for Peace'. Even after thousands of years of Documented Human Existence, and tried in a variety of methods and cultures, Society and Law continues to use that same method which has proved over and over as a Failure.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
thanks m0j0m for the reply. i just feel this way because i have some personal connection to those who suffers due to the ignorance of others. but the reason why i want to join the military is that i want to prove something to myself. i want to reach a goal that i don't have right now. i plan on to become a doctor after a few years in the military, from the on, maybe i can help some needy people.

i try to live my life without thinking the problems of others, but i can't help to feel that i am responsibile somehow, it's just too hard to forget

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by 2009]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
A philosopher (or stoner) once said:

Lifes a bitch and then you die, so # the world and lets get high

unfortunately its just the way the world works. I do what i can for the poor, but i figure i cant live my whole life worrying about everything and i cant change the world (i can help). Humans will always be humans, so i figure i'm gonna live as est i can without treading on other people. If i cant help the poor i'll try and in the meantime i'm not getting in their way

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
The government routinely controls the production of crops and tells many farmers to not grow crops in order to keep market prices where they want them.

Green is absolutely right, unfortunately.

But another slant on this that hasn't been looked at and which never recieves much notice is the cost of the groceries themselves.

Ever wonder why you rarely see an overweight well off/rich person ?

This is because the affluent can afford to buy the types of groceries that are the best for our bodies. That includes the benefit of keeping weight down. A good portion of these groceries are what are considered the highly perishables, that is they don't have a very long shelf life. IE..these are the foods you find around the edges of the supermarket. The "whole" (rather then prepackaged chemical laden tasteless albeit cheaper crap) foods. Breads, meats, dairy, fruits and vegetables.

Anyone who has ever studied the layout of your average supermarket will know what I am talking about here.

Now, if you are still with me lol...you will also know that is these precise foods which happen to be the most expensive, simply by virtue of their reasonably short shelf lives, which means they need to be replenished every few days.

The poor generally cannot afford to do this. The poor (and studies have proven this) tend to stick to the inside rows where all the processed garbage is, simply because it is CHEAPER, it LASTS LONGER, and it stretches the food dollar. I don't believe poor people want to be overweight, but it's kind of hard NOT to be when all you can afford to eat for lunch is a 10 cent fat-laden package of top ramen, rather then a fresh, dark greens salad with a light dressing of red wine vinagrette.

Think people ! go beyond the stereotypes society gives you about the overweight and begin to question the real reasons why.

Lastly, in response to the posters who feel that the overweight, in gorging themselves, are depriving someone else of having something to eat.

Another slant to consider:

Why aren't the #ed up mostly affluent upper crust white bitches (for some reason, Anorexia doesn't seem to exist in the minority cultures) who spend a bloody fortune on food, only to puke it all up the ones being attacked here ?

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by KayEm]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I'm not sure how it is in the states, but here for the price of two big-macs, i can buy enough ingredients to make 6 burgers of better taste, better nutrition, more satiety (feeling of well being after eating), and more preparation time. That last one i think is a biggie here in regards to why people get fat, often its they are too lazy to actually make their own food so they go for the pre-made garbage. I'm not blaming the fat, they enjoy eating. I like my booze (which is money that could go to the poor) but i think everyone deserves at least one pleasure in their lives, if that pleasure is eating, so be it. I agree with KayEm that its the rich that need blamed, the rich who eat their lobster and caviar, followed by some expensive champagine, then a trip to the can to feed it to the aligators in the sewer

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Wow !!! I wish the US had your grocery prices, Special.

For the cost of two big macs you could get all THAT at a store, are you serious ???

For all the ingredients to make the equivelant of two big macs HERE..I would say it would cost about 15.00.

Then again, you guys ARE a part of British commonwealth, yes ? Ive spent considerable time in England and I can definitely say that you guys have some truly affordable food stores. (ASDA comes to mind)

Here in the States, it's like, if you don't have less then 50 dollars to spend. Forget it. You're lucky if you can get enough food to last 3 days. And unfortunately I am NOT kidding.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
another wrinkle in the whole "cost of food" question is preparation time. People who have low-wage jobs generally have to work more than the standard 40 hours a week. If they rely on mass transit (in the U.S., at least) their commute time is probably double, due to wait on the bus, etc.

I worked at a company where you had a 30 minute lunch. There was no fridge, and the only restaurants where you could get through the lunch rush in 30 were a couple of burger joints.

So the working class have less time, less elaborate kitchens (although the affluent will laugh at that) and a lower threshold of what is acceptable taste.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2009
although i study buddism and the four noble truth, i still insist on thinking that it's just not fair.

Life is suppose to be fair? When did this happen and where was I? Everyone suffers in one way or another as Buddhists tend to say, "Life is Pain". As animals there is truely only one law: the law of the jungle. You get what you take and somewhere down the line that means that someone else is going to have to go without what it is that you have taken. I don't mean to sound like the bad guy here, but that is the brutal truth of the matter.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The thing is though, Jonna, we are supposed to be the HIGHER animals. Compassion and empathy and emotion is something the lower animals don't possess as human beings (are supposed to) do.

(And yes, I am fully aware of how smart and empathatic our beloved pets are at times, but we are the 'animals' blessed with a reasoning, thinking mind)

I forgot, I wanted to give Dr. props for adding another slant to the issue, that being the 40+ workweek and the oftentimes reliance on public transportation.

Aside from being hideously demeaning, from my experience, counting on the bus to get you to work everyday is a colossal pain in the ass. Not only does it take you forever to get anywhere, (if you take the bus that SHOULD get you there on time, you end up LATE. If you take the earlier bus, you end up at work too early)..the message is always there "You are poor and therefore HAVE to rely upon us." Not to mention the blank, sometimes smug stares you recieve from cars driving past as you wait.

Sorry, I got off track. But there are a lot of misconceptions and human indignities that the working poor are forced to labor (no pun intended) under, and no it's not fair, but the issue comes back again that we are not lower animals meant to each the weakest. We are supposed to be working towards a better world for ALL people, not just a select few.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by KayEm]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
How is the situation of the world some poor fat schlub's fault that probably lives in a trailor and WORKS in a fast food restaurant, when there's skinny, healthy, AFFLUENT people spending significant portions of thier income on specialty Atkins foods, gym memberships, botox and plastic surgery.

You don't have to be overweight to be a 'Fat Cat'.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
The thing is though, Jonna, we are supposed to be the HIGHER animals. Compassion and empathy and emotion is something the lower animals don't possess as human beings (are supposed to) do.

I understand what you are saying and all about humanity, but I question weither the human race has any humanity. Humanity is what, say a selfless act. I do not believe that there is any such thing as a selfless act. I believe that the only reason that we bother to do anything is because we benefit from it in some way and thus is not completely selfless.

Kayem, you love Pixey and would probably do a number of things for his benifit, but does his well being or advancement (because of your actions) not also benifit you in a way. Does it not make YOU happy to do things for him? In this way your 'selfless' actions are not selfless at all, but have a benifit for you as well. This is not an attack on you at all as I see it in my own relationships.

Now say that you seperated from him so that he could have a better life of sorts (for some hypothetical reason). You are doing this for his benefit because of your love for him, but you are also doing it because you believe that it is the right thing to do according to your morals, values, etc. This action then upholds your personal beliefs thus benefiting your own image of who you are and that you are a good person because you did what you believe is the 'right' thing to do.

We claim to be doing 'good' things when we give to charity or the like, but we also benefit because of the feelings that we are good people from doing so and thus it is not a selfless act.

Most animals take care of their young because they benefit from the continuation of their genes. This is why I believe that we are not much different then animals in respect to the concept of humanity.

And yes, I am always this cheery!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join