It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adventures in Windows 7 (Home Premium)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well,

Fist victim, er volunteer, is my laptop, An Acer 5610-4182.

It has:
dual-core intel 2.0 gig processors
4 gigs of ram
A Corsair 128 gig SSD (Solid State Drive)

It had version 7100 as soon as it came out.... seriously....

You get disks for both 32 bit as well as 64 bit versions of the operating system.

Ok, here we goooooooooo....

I got the 3 license "FAMILY PACK" which is upgrade version, but can be used on three separate computers. Normally, upgrade home Premium is 129USD so a three pack for 149USD is a screaming deal.

1) I have removed all data required from this laptop.
2) I am loading the original Vista Home Premium (I feel so dirty when i say that), so I "can" use the upgrade. This is going to be a 2 hour process. Naturally, in the windows 7 install process, I will delete all the partitions on the drive and create a new partition to load windows 7, so it will be a fresh install, from an upgrade disk.
3) The instructions say to boot into Vista and then insert the disk in. If you are unsure, it should work just fine, I set the computer to boot to the cd drive, in the bios.
4) I put the disk in the drive and restarted the laptop
5) It loaded all the files and now is starting the install process
6)loaded, now putting in key (all good so far)
7) done
8) loading programs now....
9) I have noticed the show desktop is the far right side of the bottom toolbar. (it was an icon in the toolbar in version 7100.
10) load avg 9, ccleaner, glaries and ghostwall ( ghostwall is having issues)... trying pctools firewall.
(note there is no defraggler-this is an ssd and you don't defrag them)
11) First set of updates....second set installed and done.
12) Download and install safari browser...no issues
11) I have read some comments that win7 firewall isn't bad, if you configure it well

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
install windows 7 fresh,dont do a upgrade ull screw it.
second liiiineee

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

" Naturally, in the windows 7 install process, I will delete all the partitions on the drive and create a new partition to load windows 7, so it will be a fresh install, from an upgrade disk. "

I did.

:shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Did you get GhostWall from www.ghostsecurity.com ??

Its an awesome app and I know the developer (lives around here in Perth, Western Australia)... However I do know there's little win7 compatibility for most of the apps, I so want AppDefend and RegDefend on there...

Regards
marty

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
install windows 7 fresh,dont do a upgrade ull screw it.
second liiiineee

Upgrading works just fine provided you can read and you run the compatibility wizard before you start. It even worked on the early 6xxx builds, though it is virtually identical to the process of upgrading versions of Vista. I've not had any data loss except through my own stupidity. Make sure you select the correct drive to format, I accidentaly wiped my 500gb backup drive becuase I selected it and clicked next before actually looking at which drive I had selected. This after hundreds of pain free installs.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Just installed Win 7, and Im having problems with the microphones latency... I got some mixing decks, and output of the speakers is a tad behind than whats coming out of my headphones... any ideas anyone??

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

Two separate issues here.

Ghost-wall worked great with prerelease version 7100.....

It would not work with win 7 final code-go figure.

I have pc tools firewall, similar in looks to zonealarm.

as for your mike, try looking up a windows 7 driver for your audio-card (I presume this is where you have it plugged in.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hey, thanks for the play by play there MM. Maybe give us a few more updates on how programs run (or not).

1 question please: How much space did that install actually take on the drive?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
reply to post by Im a Marty

Two separate issues here.

Ghost-wall worked great with prerelease version 7100.....

It would not work with win 7 final code-go figure.

I have pc tools firewall, similar in looks to zonealarm.

as for your mike, try looking up a windows 7 driver for your audio-card (I presume this is where you have it plugged in.

Well i downloaded the upated driver from the realtek site, the win7 version and I still got latency issues, its annoying the #@$! out of me, i might have to go back to XP just so I can mix properly (or invest in speakers) hehe

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Edit: disregard, got the question answered.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, so far, all systems are go.

My games all loaded and run fine.

An occasional crash from safari is the biggest news since loading.

I did notice that it out of the blue it needed to be activated. (It was already activated and no hardware changes of any form.) On it's own it responded and was happy.

I can't say I liked that one bit.

M$, you got some splaning to do.......

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well, 10/30/09 and nothing has changed.

I did load office xp and it went in and had no issues.

Looks like so far, they got this one right.

new topics

top topics

join