It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck Slams Obama Encouraging Volunteerism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

The Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), a Hollywood charitable organization, has helped to organize a push in the television industry to encourage volunteerism among the citizenry. The support for volunteerism will be spread across 60 shows, and in some cases woven into the plot lines.

Wow

The CIA tactics we've known about since the 60s are now being used overtly by the government, really?

Confirmation, not that it were needed, to prove that directing the public through the use of TV to change public opinion has been happening for a long time already.

This is really scummy in my opinion. If people think volunteering is a good idea, fine enough. But lets not force people into it by holding their education hostage. Or by using brainwashing techniques like making celebrities do something which the unthinking apes who watch tv will mimic without question.

As for them calling Glen Beck a conspiracy theorist, hmm. It's not exactly a conspiracy if everybody knows about it.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Beck is paid handsomely to be anti-Obama. How can anyone take him seriously? The same goes for left-wing talk show hosts as well. These guys make a living being pro-this and anti-that. Their opinions are never up for serious debate. They are only up for sale.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Def Youth

WRONG ive been listening to Beck since WAY before he ever had a TV show, and WAY before he was so highly rated on the radio as well.

His view points have pretty much always stayed the same, he got suckered in to some false hope on some issues but admitted it. He has ALWAYS had his stance the way he presents it now.

He was harsh on bush, he is harsh on Obama. This excuse that he just gets paid to bash Obama is really getting old.

Bury your head in the sand if you want to, but this guy and his show have busted wide open quite a few cases, not to mention being the first on the ball with Acorn since before the election, and Van Jones, thats just a couple.

Seems to me if hes just getting paid to hate someone, why is he so effective at exposing the corruption?

Wake up people

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder
Instead of calling Beck an idiot, let's be a little more mature and ask ourselves, "Why would the government be so interested in volunteerism on such a MASSIVE scale?”

What I often observe in the American society today is complete disconnectedness, from neighbors, from responsibilities, from important news. I bet in 2001 more people in the US knew the NASCAR schedule than geographical location of Iraq. The mess our country is in stems in large part from "devil may care" attitude.

You can have the best Constitution in the world and the best Army etc, but that won't stop your society from rotting inside out if the sense of community is lost (which really seems to be the case). Volunteerism is just one part of the answer to that problem.

Now that we are finished with the difficult business, let's go back to calling Beck an idiot.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

Not much choice.
Number 4 is interesting
Coming soon:
H.R. 1444:
www.govtrack.us...

2009-2010 Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act

Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act -
Establishes the Congressional Commission on Civic Service to make recommendations to Congress for:
(1) improving the ability of individuals to serve others;
(2) training leaders in public service organizations to better utilize individuals committed to national service and volunteerism as they manage human and fiscal resources;
(3) identifying solutions to the barriers that make it difficult for some individuals to volunteer or perform national service; and
(4) building on the foundation of current service and volunteer opportunities. Specifies topics to be addressed by the Commission, including deterrents to service, a mandatory service requirement, and the need for a public service academy.

Being punished for not volunteering kinda takes away the joy of giving, to me anyway.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by AmericanDaughter]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Sorry, grover, but anyone who bothers to listen to any of the talk show hosts, is an idiot.

Not just Beck, but all of them, they're all getting paid and are therefore paid mouthpieces.

Listening to Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Alex Jones, Hannity, Limbaugh, or any of the other morons out there sharing their opinion on national television and or radio and getting this as the their information source is just about as culpably ignorant as calling the Government corrupt because it is all a sideshow, one hundred and ten percent, meant as a distraction.

If enough sound bytes are thrown out there then maybe enough people can be swayed to be idiot followers through not using their own brain between their own damn ears.

This thread is divisive at best and a laughing stock at worst because it's just as sensationalistic as the trash you claim Glenn Beck is spouting about Obama and volunteerism.

Without disparaging you grover what if Beck is right and the end goal is for Obama to have as many people as possible to volunteer and this is his idiotic response to helping the job loss situation instead of actually fixing the economy?

Personally, I can see where a build up on unemployed citizens volunteering is a good thing just as much as I can see it is a bad thing because it all leads to a war build up through indoctrination of the type that is supposed to be inspirational but at best is conspiratorial because of the nature of how Obama phrases what he does in his speeches he tells you a whole lot of nothing.

Believe it or not, I am neither attacking you, Obama, nor Beck, but I am neither defending you, Obama, nor Beck, because the sensationalism in the middle is the culprit and the people who listen to it without knowing that in the ancient Roman and Greek days that sensationalism went hand in hand with the Flavian Amphitheater, gladitorial games, and throwing the Christians to the lions was just another way to distract the citizens from what the corrupt Government was doing behind the scenes.

That people listen to the media at all and know little to nothing of politics is a surprise to me when it should not be because people are so damn lazy as to avoid learning usually because they do not want to take responsibility for their own actions let alone their own nation.

I suggest to those who want to know what's going on in the White House read a good book.

The Cult of the Presidency: America's Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power

Not turn on the television and listen to the crap coming out of any television show.

Amazon Review :

The Bush years have given rise to fears of a resurgent Imperial Presidency. Those fears are justified, but the problem cannot be solved simply by bringing a new administration to power.

In his provocative new book, The Cult of the Presidency, Gene Healy argues that the fault lies not in our leaders but in ourselves.

When our scholars lionize presidents who break free from constitutional restraints, when our columnists and talking heads repeatedly call upon the "commander in chief " to dream great dreams and seek the power to achieve them--when voters look to the president for salvation from all problems great and small--should we really be surprised that the presidency has burst its constitutional bonds and grown powerful enough to threaten American liberty?

The Cult of the Presidency takes a step back from the ongoing red team/blue team combat and shows that, at bottom, conservatives and liberals agree on the boundless nature of presidential responsibility.

For both camps, it is the president's job to grow the economy, teach our children well, provide seamless protection from terrorist threats, and rescue Americans from spiritual malaise.

Very few Americans seem to think it odd, says Healy, "when presidential candidates talk as if they're running for a job that's a combination of guardian angel, shaman, and supreme warlord of the earth."

Healy takes aim at that unconfined conception of presidential responsibility, identifying it as the source of much of our political woe and some of the gravest threats to our liberties.

If the public expects the president to heal everything that ails us, the president is going to demand--or seize--the power necessary to handle that responsibility.

Interweaving historical scholarship, legal analysis, and trenchant cultural commentary, The Cult of the Presidency traces America's decades-long drift from the Framers' vision for the presidency: a constitutionally constrained chief magistrate charged with faithful execution of the laws.

Restoring that vision will require a Congress and a Court willing to check executive power, but Healy emphasizes that there is no simple legislative or judicial "fix" to the problems of the presidency.

Unless Americans change what we ask of the office--no longer demanding what we should not want and cannot have--we'll get what, in a sense, we deserve.

This book was written right before Obama took office but it still holds true to what he's doing.

Oh, and by the way, I both work and volunteer, and I see between the lines.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
All this is leading to free labor.

This is why Obama is talking about volunteer work, service and the price of citizenship while people don't have jobs.

People have always volunteered and served but there's no price of citizenship that has to be paid to the Government in a way Obama see's fit. This is truly the actions of a dictator.

Obama doesn't want the jobs situation to get better. This is because the worse it gets for you, the more people will be forced to volunteer service to the government in exchange for healthcare, education and other things.

What's happening is the Corporations can make money in the global economy but the middle class and lower class can't operate in the global economy with this heavy burden of supporting a massive government.

It's sad because people are cheering on Obama and their children and grandchildren will be born as slaves to the government in order to pay Obama's price of citizenship.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is pure propaganda IMO. I volunteer my time & money to organizations of my CHOICE. I DO NOT need the government to pick and choice which org's are worthy of my time or money.

Plain and simple, the government should be more focused on real issues like the rising unemployment rate and less focused on making their butts look good to whomever they are currently trying to impress.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Originally posted by buddhasystem

You can have the best Constitution in the world and the best Army etc, but that won't stop your society from rotting inside out if the sense of community is lost (which really seems to be the case). Volunteerism is just one part of the answer to that problem.

Emphasis here on the word volunteer. It's already mandatory (if you want to graduate) And brainwashing people into doing it is coercion.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Lazyninja]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join