It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug detecting (drink spiking) Lip gloss

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Drug detecting (drink spiking) Lip gloss

health.ninemsn.com.au

Carrying a lipgloss is an essential for most of us on a night out but a new take on the beauty item could make it more valuable than ever. The 2LoveMyLips gloss, which will be available in Australia soon, comes complete with a pink taper which can detect date rape drugs in drinks.

Developed in the UK in response to the increasing rate of date rape in the country, the detector works not only in alcoholic drinks but tea, coffee and soft drinks.

Tracy Whittaker, the British business woman who came up with the idea, advises woman to be cautious if a drink tastes funny or if you are suspicio
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c27c6719cfe.jpg[/atsimg]This thread is about a invention.
Drink Spiking is on the rise, it's pretty vile to say the least, and I am really pleased that someone has come up with a detection method. This is for all those ATS Gals out there, enjoy yourself hopefully without having to fear being spiked.
I was spiked once, and it took my legs out from under me, my freinds were there and took me home to safety and the next day when I was together, I hated how I was made to feel so vulnerable, because of some sad sack of rubbish that has to abuse a woman to get anywhere with her. Drink spiking is
and a sign of a massive loser.
Rant over.
I applaude this inventor.

health.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Good idea,but as always the most simple things are the best ie Don't leave a drink unattended and always have some close friends with you.Still the mere fact products like this are out there should put potential drink spikers on the back foot.Everyone seems to say it is on the rise but i have never encountered anyone who has had their drink spiked,or maybe it's harder to tell after one too many so alot go unreported.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I have met two people that were slipped date rape drugs.

They were men. They didn't get raped.

The odds? They were probably the only ones haha.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
You know what else would be great about this? We could make it mandatory for women in bars to put it on as they walk through the door. That way when they get drunk and go home with some guy of their own will they can't cry date rape the next day!

Not trying to inflame anyone, just saying this would work both ways

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Nice find, I'm glad people are thinking about this kind of thing. It's actually a wonder that no one thought of it before.

Most of my friends are girls and I always worry about them getting into this kind of trouble. Gonna spread the word

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I would be concerned that women would apply this lip gloss and have the date rape signs show up accidentally somehow throughout the day (like a non-date rape drug triggered a false alarm). Then they get all paranoid thinking their about to go under or trip.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

I'm sure that the chemical engineers who designed this product have thought about stuff like that.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamrock87

No product is infallible though so silver does have a point.False positives could happen...Don't know much about how the product works though.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamrock87

Well don't be too hasty in that line of thinking.

Drug tests can still give false readings or inappropriate ones depending on the test and what you recently put in your body. Poppies can indeed put you positive for opium (albeit you'd have to eat a lot). Codeine in cough syrup could show you positive for something more serious.

You'd be surprised how related one thing is with another chemically. Something tells me lip gloss that affordable without prescription isn't exactly going to be top notch and error proof. It will probably work just good enough, hence my initial concern.

Update: *what Solomon said!

[edit on 20-10-2009 by silver tongue devil]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Managing director of the company 2LoveMy, Tracy Whittaker, explained that girls on a night out with suspicions about their drink can just dab the taper in, and watch to see if the colour changes to blue. “If they turn blue tell your friends immediately and get help from security and the police,” she explained.

Commenting on the lip gloss concept, Roofie Founder Graham Rhodes said: “The Roofie Foundation welcomes any product that helps women to avoid becoming victims of drug rape.” “Over the years there have been many different tests and a wide variety of products that claim to prevent drink spiking, however we believe that the addition of a testing strip to a lip gloss is a major step forward in prevention.” 2LoveMyLips is also planning to make the product available in vending machines in pub and club toilets as this is where girls may need it most. Other cosmetic products are also planned by the company but all of them will come with the date rape testing kit included.

www.cosmeticsdesign.com...

Not fool proof, but a step in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

Given, and nice retort, but you have to admit that it will be primarily used at places like the club or the pub, so more than likely the chemical that reacts to the drugs like roofies have been tested against common pub/club drinks and chemicals.

Hopefully they've done their research before rushing it to the market.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Still the mere fact products like this are out there should put potential drink spikers on the back foot

i will also give a few of us real man out there some fun a our local bar or clubs.
like beating the C**P out of joker that spike ladies drinks.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
looks like we need to go back to the days of the caveman and just bash women on the head with a club first..
j/k ofcourse.. however this is a brilliant idea and im somewhat suprised its just now being marketed..
the world is full of sick ppl and this is one way to slow there progress

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I see a fortune being made off this product. I know I would buy it, having had something slipped into one of my drinks in the past.

There should be vending machines in the ladies rest room for this, right next to the condom machines!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

i have never encountered anyone who has had their drink spiked

I have. Was at a friends house and he handed me a drink and simply said "Hey, try this." So I did. After drinking it I asked what it was. "GHB" he said.

Apparently he was curious and wanted to see what the effects were. Felt nothing for about fifteen minutes and then started feeling very friendly and girls who previously seemed unattractive suddenly become quite appealing. And about half an hour after that I was crawling on the ground trying to figure out why I couldn't puke.

Can't say I recommend it.

Incidentally to any women who are concerned about it, at least with what was given to me there was very little transition time to the effect. It hits fast. One moment everything seemed normal and then suddenly I was giddy and everyone was attractive. Then after a while of that, everything was fine and then suddenly I was on the ground. If somebody slips something into your drink, don't depend on havinga lot of time to figure out what's going on.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What about males that have this done to them, sexist rubbish about drink spiking.

People have a view of the world built by media.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
What about males that have this done to them, sexist rubbish about drink spiking.

People have a view of the world built by media.

Your right- there is a lot of so called "Gays" trying to get lucky with the normal men and boys. Is it, along with lurking in the public toilets most important part of their subculture?? )

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ZenOnKwalsky

The so called "Gays" who spike other men's drinks are probably your stereotypical homophobes.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I don't know why this wasn't made and or marketed sooner.

Any fool who drugs their date and then rapes then needs to have their balls chopped off.

Really, it is not that hard to find a willing sexual partner, if you are clean-cut, honest, and willing to share of yourself, and sex without commitments is not that difficult to find either, although it is not the usual way to go about getting sex, some people fear commitment and or just want to get laid.

Really people, drugging a date is the only way to get sex?

I think not.

Good find, zazzafrazz.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join