It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asthma Sufferers - What do we do when SHTF?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

You can't overdose from prednisone? Where did you get that tidbit, please? Source?
My recued Miniature Pinscher with Addison's disease (who must have daily therapeutic doses to live) would beg to differ with you. Not only is pred saturation a serious issue, too much pred for too long can cause kidney failure among other nasty little side effects.

Prednisone Warnings and Precautions

Predisone in therapeutic doses does can and often does cause changes in personality (often aggressive behaviors, increased fluid intake and elimination, etc.) but prednisone is also given in doses high enough to suppress the immune system. Its often given to people with autoimmune conditions to stop the body from attacking itself, but it leaves the body susceptible to all kinds of infections.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The Mod that replied was correct in tagging Mullien(verbascum spp) any of the species occuring in the wild work just fine albeit you can steep the leaves as a tea for a maintenance dose. Combine it with Green Tea( camellia sinensis) as a mildly stimulating broncho-dilator and Gumweed (Grindelia squarosa) for a broader approach.

Cordyceps sinensis is a parasatizing mushroom that grows from silkworms at high altitutdes but it is quite high in price, however the mycelial cultures grown on rice and freeze-dried are readily available as well and stimulate the kidney meridian as aiding the lung qi.

You can also use the roots of mullein as a fish paralyzer in emergency as well as the flower simmered in olive oil to treat ear infections...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Also include Reish mushroom it is known to be stronger the predizone and none of the poor side effects while still being chock full of polysacharrides for immune function

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I've been treated for Asthma for over 30-years. Many attacks, many many hospitalizations. Around 5-7 years ago, I got put on a maintenance dose of Symbicort and Singulair and now, I pretty much feel like I no longer have asthma.
Unfortunately, if I miss a dose of symbicort, things deteriorate within 6-12 hours. I've had this conversation with my wife and have decided that if the SHTF that my days will be numbered. I suppose the same is so for a lot of people on a lot of different maintenance medications for all types of illnesses.

To me, I see it as Darwin at work so I'm not bothered by it.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ah, at last something I feel I can comment on as I'm a lifelong sufferer of asthma and as a kid spent most of my time in hospital with breathing related illnesses. I used to have to take a puff of a brown inhaler three times a day which kept my airways open (salbutamol), steroids, and had to carry a blue inhaler which was a reliever incase I had an attack. Now I am dependent on none of them. A good friend of my late brother in law taught me Tai Chi and how to breath properly and not to panic when you feel an attack coming on. Panic is the real problem. Panic sets your heart a racing and causes your breathing to become heavy and paced. he taught me how to stay calm and take deep breaths when I feel an attack coming on, and I'm glad to report that I haven't needed an inhaler for well over eight years.
The only time asthma does bother me is when I get the flu as it always clogs up my chest.
If I could get one point across it would be to sufferers to try and ween themselves off their independence and not use it unless it was absolutely necessary.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I also have asthma and the symptoms have ranged for several years from a shortness of breath to crawling across the floor in search of an inhaler...scary stuff but so are some of the meds I've been prescribed for symptom management.
Shaky hands,brain buzzing,numbness in hands and arms,memory loss,asthma meds are strong juju for sure!
4 years ago I gave up processed foods, red meat,sugar and dairy and the difference/severity of the asthma symptoms is remarkable! Yes it's still tough to eat healthy and specific some days.
A Pulmonologist I used to see literally couldn't believe the changes I made when I got very serious about my health and level of fitness...lost a bunch of weight and workout almost daily now.an hour of hard cardio is now a breeze...
Went from a sick girl to a healthy one with a minor burden instead of an oxygen tank.
I still keep inhalers handy but just wanted to share my experiences and maybe it can help someone else.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Two words: natural selection

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Has anyone mentioned hypnosis?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
horseradish
the stronger the better
1/4 teaspoon four times a day for about two weeks till alergies clear up
and then about four or six times per week after that.

it works

also Mullien

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I have asthma - my insurance covers 2 inhalers a month plus a nebulizer (which of course needs electric) but with as much medicine as needed. Coffee was mentioned and it works pretty good if you feel an attack eartly enough.
I have been afraid to use natural herbs since I was not introduced to them early on.

So now what do you need - a large supply of masks to protect from pollen, dust and mold. You may not need them all the time but in a SHTF scenario they are good to have around. The masks work good to keep you from inhaling too much cold air which is also bad for asthmatics.

Try to stay away from dusty, cold, damp musty places as much as possible.

Do what you can to contribute to the situation but try not to overdo, it can bring on an attack. I have 4 boxes of masks on hand and have accumulated 4 inhalers and can get 2 more tomorrow.

If I think of anything else I will return.

Good thread S & F

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
You can buy a battery operated nebulizer on Amazon for around$25.00. Also if you have any friends who are nurses or work in a doctors office setting they could probably get you a sample (not for resale anyway) of some type of inhaler that would work in a emergency situation, they also have a pretty long shelf life. Like someone else said a box of Albuturol vials is pretty cheap and have a long shelf life.Also do they still sell Primeatine Mist and tablets? they would be better than nothing and are availiable without prescription,
edit on 1/30/2011 by Gloworm48 because: Forgot to mention a non prescription alternative

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
Two words: natural selection

Doesn't exist! Proof? You're still here...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You may not believe this....but I read it in the book " The emperor wears no clothes" a book about the uses of hemp and why it became criminalized. It stated in the book that cannabis smoke dialates the small airways in the lungs and has been known to stop full blown asthma attacks. I can't verify it but it would be worth looking into. It would be almost as convienent as an inhaler.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

We'll see the proof when SHTF and asthma sufferers are screwed without their inhalers

Might want to start looking into NATURAL remedies.
edit on 30-1-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

With the greatest of respect read my post again. I have turned to a natural remedy and have beaten asthma...
For those that have never suffered from asthma its hard to get across that panic that runs through your body when you can't get air into your lungs and you feel everything closing down... Its terrifying.. So you saying its all part of natural selection is just a tad insulting and offers no help whatsoever to those who are dependent on their medication.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

Yes but natural selection is just that my friend. You can't become dependent on something that can easily be taken away. Because when it gets taken, you're left with nothing. Always have a back up plan. People have suffered from asthma long before the invention if the inhaler and found ways to manage. This is why you exist to this day, because from what I understand asthma is hereditary. Natural selection is just more of a broad term I used to describe those dependent on medication vs. those who can cure it naturally in case of some disaster. I didn't mean to offend so don't take it that way.

Anyway, good luck to you on finding a more natural solution brother. I know it's not easy but here's a list I found of some ancient remedies.

EDIT: That was a bad list I'll find a new one

Edit 2: Alright this seems better.

www.home-remedies-for-you.com...
edit on 30-1-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Great thread man.... I dont have asthma myself but my dad and best mate do and this is something I never tought about.. Ill follow the thread for the info because id hate to see anybody in trouble and be unable to help.
edit on 30-1-2011 by spungy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryJoy

I'm sorry, but that isn't true. The THC has adverse effects on both Arachidonic Acid and the Leukotrienes, which mediate the inflammatory triggers to asthma. The airway closure occurs AFTER the inflammatory triggers, which is where the cortico-steroids and even Singulair have their greatest effects.

Unfiltered marijuana smoke is NOT good for asthmatics!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

ANSWER- HOW TO TREAT ASTHMA when no medication is available. I'm glad someone is thinking ahead.

Ok, first of all lets take a real look at what you are trying to do to your body to get Oxygen into it when you are in distress.The below treatments may not relieve the pressure you feel in your lungs but they will take the Oxygen to where it is needed:

Lets say you are totally out of any type of normal inhaler or pill that might give you relief. I am going to make realistic suggestions on what- WILL WORK BUT YOU MUST FOLLOW THROUGH ON IT AND CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF AND NOT RELY ON WHAT I SAY HERE.

I know of four procedures that may give you relief and keep you alive until the attack passes.

#-1 There is an Herbal product called OXYdrene- (it is expensive but it works) this herb will put Oxygen into your blood stream to feed your cells. Made by Novex Biotech.

#-2 Sodium Chlorite also called by many other names depending upon the brand. Oxy-7, Aerobic-7 etc.
This is what is in the IV bag of saline that the Ambulance para-medic might use by placing and IV in you arm on the way to the hospital. You can find this product at a health food store.

#-3 If you have a very bad case of asthma and you are prepared to do what I am about to tell you about, you can save your life or the life of a loved one. This is called Intravenouis H2O2 therapy- Read up on what kind of H2O2, normally Food grade or bettter, 35% pure,mixed with sterile water less than 1% h2o2 per- 100 lbs of body weight with X-amount of solution. The above figues are only approximate. You must read up on this procedure before you can even consider using this.

#-4 last but not least, ( safest) use H2O2 in large water based inhaler and have a towel over your head and place your heqad directly over the h2o2-steam. Some people claim this is also how to cure lung cancer but I am not going to go there.Food grade is best but the cheap 3% works a little.

My advice is read everything you can on the above four methods and one of them or even maybe all of them will work for you. KMG

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Of course smoke isn't good for asthma. But there are many ways to consume cannabis. In the case of an attack using a vaporizer would make the most sense.

And yes it is proven to combat asthma attacks particularly well.

www.druglibrary.org...

"...marijuana and isoproterenol caused an immediate reversal of exercise-induced asthma and hyperinflation."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join