It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival! Easier than you think!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

While I do agree that the OP is making a list that is similar to a camping trip, I also think he's making a great point about being prepared. Are you going to be prepared at all times? Probably not. But if you are really into the concept of being prepared you'll have an EDC bag with you at all times, you'll also have maybe a small bag of essentials at your work place, in your car etc. etc. etc.

I believe that most survival type situations are in fact short term. Having gear like this with you on a regular basis, even if it's not as elaborate as the OP suggests, can be a great asset.

Also, being able to plan out ahead of time in the eventuality of everything going south can help considerably as well. What do you do if there is a gas truck explosion on your normal way home from work? What if you cross the train tracks on the way home and there is a derailment? What if there is a Tornado or hail storm? These are the things that are most likely to happen to the average person. When it comes to long term, 6 months or more, sure you can plan, but the chances of things messing up your plan are going to get higher by the day.

To the OP, good information all around. When it comes to buying your gear, never ever skimp on quality. What you make up for in saved money, will come back to bite you in the butt when you need it most.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
reply to post by mappam

yeah theres a new spin tampons ... ladies there ya go ... you need em and they start fires good thinking mappan

They can also be used to stop the bleeding of bullet wounds.

Another thing is why carry a 50 pound pack if you are going to be on level or nearly level ground.
Take a child's wagon. wheel barrow. or build a cart with two front wheels from mountain bikes
This can be built and pulled like a rickshaw and you could put a lot more then 50 pounds on it plus still carry a 25 pound pack.
75+ pound of supplies will last you a lot longer then 50 pounds. plus be a lot easier to move.
lib.store.yahoo.net...
www.growerssolution.com...
Plus a child's wagon can be very handy when you do set up a long term camp for hauling fire wood, a deer you have shot ETC ETC.
also you could move someone that injured back to camp.
www.thebackpacker.com...

In mine rescue team i was on we had a couple of home build carts to haul equipment to rescue sites where there were no roads and to also haul a stokes stretcher with someone we had rescued out to the road, This was better then trying to carry someone.
We built ours with two front wheels from motor cycles and even had the brakes connected to one end so the person at that end could use the brakes when we were going down hill with someone on it or a full load of equipment.
These carts could also be haul behind a ATV if we needed.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by ANNED]

[edit on 25-10-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I have packed skinning and hunting knives, compass, map, water purifier or I will drink rain water,snow in winter. A riffle ammo, snares, fishing line, power bait,hooks, sleeping bag, a few mres until I can set up a camp. Sling shot, S.A.S survival book, antibiotics cephalexin and penicillin, iodide tablets, iodine wipes, gauze, med tape, sutures, needle , clamp,rope, small sew kit, shovel, axe hand shake flash light, snow boots, snow suit, jeans, sneakers, sox, shirts and ham radio with extra batteries, Lighters, several metal rods about 1 foot long thin.
I figure I can cook using hot rocks or underground fire on rocks, or open fire on metal rods. No plates or cups or cooking pans as I figure I can always find something flat and I have fingers to eat the food.
I know I forgot something HMMMMMMMMM. Its late I will check back in tomarrow.
Thanks for all the suggestions great thread

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Great thread.

I would like to add a few points:

For those living in more mountain-like territory, I would reckon that one of the safest places to be is just around the tree line. You have wood for fire, and a lot of game will also be situated there.

One of you said a tent is impractical. And if the climate of your territory allows it, sure, go for the tarp. But if you are somewhat familiar with the outdoors, you should know that wind and low temperatures will certainly wack you off in no time. In that sense, a tent can be a lifesaver.

Also, something to take into consideration is that living in the wilderness for several months will take its toll on the body of a modern Western.

If you have the funding, I would strongly advise to get a good pair of hiking boots now! Preferably leather, and you should walk with them as often as you can, as leather has to adapt to the shape of your foot. A regular pair of sneakers will basically be worthless when it gets wet and cold. At worst, your feet will get painful blisters and suffer frost bite. And then you will be immobile. And prolly dead in no time.

Band together in groups with people you know you can trust in rough situations. This is for one part good for keeping your motivation up, but also, you can share the equipment between you when moving from place to place, and bring more items of necessity.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by tideswash]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tideswash

good additions absolutely good additions thank you ! sorry for the delay in geting the next chapter out im swamped with work but i will update again soon!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Absolutely terrific thread! Thank you all for your input. I am saving all of this info in a word document.

I have some tips that I hope will be useful:

1. just 24 to 48 hours of sunlight can kill germs that cause cholera, typhoid, and other diseases found in naturally sprung waters—this is a discovery that's already helping Kenya's poor. I must admit I just stumbled upon this new concept but it beats the icky taste of water purification tablets and the extra weight and expense of a good filtration kit. Filling soft drink bottles with water and leaving them in the sun kills micro organisms. WHO is promoting the process in developing nations... I also read that certain plastic bags can be used. My understanding is that if you fill a 2 liter full of water and leave it in the sunlight for 6 hours you will have killed the microorganisms. If it is cloudy out than it must be 24 hours. If it is raining... well hello stupid just collect the water! hehe. There are some really good sites on this new discovery. The bottle must be the clear type non-color. The bottle should be laid flat and atop a light colored rock, shiny material or solid black background. The purification process discovered is called SODIS and if strictly followed takes six hours to kill off a whole host of baddies, including Oregon Trail favorites cholera, typhoid and dysentery.

2. BEFORE the el crapo hits the fano its not a bad idea to actually spend a weekend a month going on hikes to areas where the population would not be familiar. In order to do this get yourself a SOLAR powered GPS unit that will get you UNLOST if you get off the beaten track. Also a SOLAR shortwave radio with a hand crank for night time use is very nice and worth the weight. Remember if you do decide to get off the grid your not gonna want to go it alone so two or more people allows for a couple of extras to be trekked along with all your necessities.

3. SEEDS!!!! SEEDS!!!! SEEDS!!!!

4. Educate yourself on how to make a long term CASA, ABODE, CASTLE, HUT, TEEPEE, CABIN, CAVE or whatever! In fact if you go out on a hike you might want to find a spot out away from everyone and start making one! I like the idea of a solid cave in the side of a mountain that you can dig out and shore up and store long term food supplies like miners would have carved out. Costco has a great freeze dried food program that last 10 years and is made solid and is very tasty! SLowly stock up your hidden haven of safety.

5 Bring a bible. Your faith can be the one thing that sustains you when your head starts playing games.

Lets keep them ideas coming!!!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I read a cool trick to avoid cutting holes in tarps:

you take a pebble and press it into the corner of the tarp and wrap your string around it to hold down the tarp

Now we are thinking its gonna be a bad rain storm coming up so you’ve collected your tinder and branches and have them waterproofed away. Now let’s reinforce that 2 man tent from the elements. This is where you will need your 22 and your 15. Take your 22 and lay it evenly over your tent. Now hopefully your tarp has the metal ringed edges if not you’ll have to destroy your tarp and make some holes. But with your 17 cut a couple 3 inch sections of 15. And tie the tarp to the stakes you used for your tent (some tents come with a rain shield I find they don’t work as well as a heavy duty tarp) just keep in mind you have to get back in your tent so make it a bit loose around the door.
OH NO!
You cut a hole in your tent or tarp somehow all is lost all is lost … UNLESS… you have your trusty 14 with you! Use the duct tape to seal the hold … make sure the surface is clean and dry ( if it is already raining duct tape it from the inside) and viola tent and tarp repair kit.

Oops almost forgot if youve got left overs your going to need them away from the camp ... ( as well dont leave your fish scales and guts at the campsite do all that junk at the nearest body of water) so get yourself a ziploc back your rope and carabiners (you can use wire but its kinda a waste) put any other good smelling things (good smelling to an animal meaning food) in the bag. tie one end of the rope to your food and sling it over a 8 - 10 foot branch and hoist it. after its at the top tie it off on the tree and there you go critter free food!

That’s it for part 3
Once again thanks for all who have posted with their ideas and additions lets make this a running prepared survival thread!
Sneak peak next questions!
Q: Ok I know how to cook a fish … How in the world do you expect me to catch one? Fishing! Relaxing fun and keeps you alive!
And
Q: What about wild game? Im sick of fish! Tracking and you!

reply to post by conspiracyrus

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracyrus

I'm not sure why you were ragging on him...

I agree with him, a good tarp is much better than a tent. I'm an avid camper and camp as often as I can with the family. After being stuck in a storm from a tornado a few miles away from us and having the tent just get utterly drenched and having a horrible night in it, I decided to buy a tarp. Tarps pack down small, are light and heavy duty. They wick away rain a whole hell of a lot better than a tent and unless you've got that rainfly setup just right, it's utterly useless at wicking away even the morning dew. With a tarp you can ensure a decent dry night. What really ticks me off is you include a tarp and then rag on the guy for saying to ditch the tent. Hell, two tarps would be a good idea rather than one tent and a tarp. Tents are simply crap and too heavy.

A lot of the stuff you listed for survival are simply unnecessary and would do nothing more than weigh someone down if they needed to walk a long distance in a survival situation. You're essentially giving advice that would and could do more harm than good.

Hatchet and fixed blade? How about a machete instead? One item that can do the job of two! Hell, goto Bass Pro and get the one with a saw blade on the back, three tools in one!

Multitool? What for? Are you fixing a small engine or geny in the middle of the sticks or is this an item for urban survival? If this is for urban survival then why have a tent when you're surrounded by shelters? I see no practical reason to have a mutitool chock full of screw drivers out in the woods. It's simply a retarded waste of weight and space.

Bringing booze? That does nothing for survival at all. It's a waste of weight, dehydrates and being intoxicated in a survival situation is akin to simply jumping off a cliff.

Zip locks and trash bags will not keep your stuff dry. You need a good dry bag for that, they are designed specifically for keeping stuff dry. Last thing I would ever do is put an extra set of clothing in a garbage bag in inclement weather. Simply unthinkable.

Hand sanitizer? Seriously? You realize that crap is half the reason we're getting resistant germs? The only thing's you *must* wash on the human body are your hands, feet and crotch. I mean wash, not sanitize with antibacterial soaps. Unless you have a scrape, cut, boil or any other wound that can get infected, there simply is no need to sanitize the hell out of yourself.

Carrying a few ways to start a fire is a good thing, but never should the reason to do so be "because I don't feel like rubbing two sticks together". If those methods you are carrying fail for any reason, then you best damn well know how to rub two sticks together. Without fire, your good as dead. In a survival situation you can't simply throw your hands up in the air and exclaim, oh well! Learn how to rub sticks together, it will save your damn life.

People are simply too complacent and comfortable with modern day conveniences and technologies.

All in all, it's a decent thread, has some good information, and some not so good information and a few very useless thing's to bring in a survival situation. I'd also toss out that shovel, yes it's lightweight, but save your money and use a digging stick. I'd also toss out the MRE's in favor of pemmican and hardtack. It's used for emergency only after all, and I'd rather have something with an indefinite shelf life rather than a five year shelf life as my back up emergency rations. Smaller and lighter as well than an MRE.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tideswash

Also, something to take into consideration is that living in the wilderness for several months will take its toll on the body of a modern Western.

No it won't. Humans are anatomically the same as two hundred thousand years ago. The only difference between us in modern times and us thousands of years ago is simply the level of knowledge and skill. Learn how to be self sufficient, what you can eat and what medicines you can make and how to build a decent shelter and you're good to go.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hmm, last time I was camping, I just had a little two-man dome tent with rain hood, and it kept me nice and dry, and we had a hell of a storm kick up. True, the wind was whipping it real good, but it never fell or collapsed or anything, and the noise was the only downside.

A friend had this big elaborate pole tent, and the wind bent the poles, and his tent collapsed (and they got drenched). I ended up letting them stay in my tent, while I went in my car (was less noisy, and should have done it in the first place anyhow)... Luckily, in this camping spot, I can keep the car close to the site.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I never see anyone considering how long one can go without bathing.

I know from experience that it is not really required.

I don't have any friends either.

I don't really care.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just leave all but the bare essentials.

Bare essentials:

-Machete,the bigger the better.
-Pocket knife,spoon,fork.
-Good boots with ankle support and removable insoles.
-Blanket or sleeping bag.
-Two good 8'x8' tarps.
-A good length of good strong cord.
-Fire starting supplies.
-Water purifier system.
-TP,but only to prevent crusty-butt.
-One medium sized rag or towel.
-Container to collect dew or rainwater.
-Non-perishable food (Summer Sausage works ok,ritz crackers too).
-The clothes on your back.
-Big boonie hat.
-Backpack to carry it all in.

You can go back and get other stuff later.
edit on 12-10-2010 by chiponbothshoulders because: Missed something

<< 1  2   >>

join