It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eye of the Earth.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Would it be possible that the center of the Earth had an increase in gravity because of the spinning? kind of like in the Gravitron at the fair?

Wouldn't the hyper-gravity cause the material at the core to move outward,makeing the center a total void, like the eye of a hurricane or tornado?

[edit on 19-10-2009 by president]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by president

Well, seeing as the rotation of earth is actually slowing down due to the drag of the moon, I'm not sure how that would work. I mean wouldn't the center slow down as well?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I really wanted to add something to this thread because I found what you said interesting, but then I realized I don't even understand basic physics.

I do know that the current model has denser material at the core...would that affect your thinking?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
i put a star and flag because i agree with your line of thinking. But i'm not qualified to answer as such...I hope someone comes around to help on this one.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hm...
I checked Google and Wiki and found this:
www.nytimes.com...
Seems it does rotate a bit faster.

the article is about five years old, and I can't do a more in depth search at the moment. But should give you a starting place.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by president

The earth is hollow.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychonaughty

The earth is not hollow. Where do you get your info?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say:

the Internet

Hollow Earth is a fairly popular alternative theory.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

OK well, have fun with that theory, though until i see undeniable proof, it is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Cool idea. Not probable though. I think that increase in gravity is a possibility, but not due to spinning. Spinning creates centrifugal "force" - not gravity. Gravity is function of mass (or density? Oops. Do not remember.) And if there exists higher gravity in the core, things will not be pushed out, rather pulled in. Apple falls down onto Newton's head, not pushed out by gravity to space.
Edit - oooops. Mixed up between gravity and density.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

If you saw my first post you would have noticed I mention dense material at the core... i.e not the Hollow Earth theory. I only brought up Hollow Earth because it is a fairly prevalent alternative theory. At least on the internet.

No need to be snappy.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by silver tongue devil]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I wasn't being snappy, I'm actually in a great mood. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Isn't anyone knowledgeable enough to know that the earth is much wider at the equator? The spinning pushes out the "belt" of the earth, the equator, and gravity is different there... which is why one of the major space-stations of the world (although not well-known) is in French Guiana near the equator.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The earths core is solid iron, we're 99.9% sure. The massive pressure at the centre keeps the iron in a solid state, not liquid. Surrounding this is believed with less certainty to be a light element, not sure exactly what.

It's the solid core that produces the earths protective magnetic field.

Also the earth days are becomming every so slightly shorter (might be in the billionth of secs), in other words we're spinning ever so slightly faster, not slowing down.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

OK well, have fun with that theory, though until i see undeniable proof, it is ridiculous.

And have you drilled into the center of the earth, oh wait the pressure and heat exerted from the asthenosphere is far greater than any instrument can handle.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychonaughty

And have you drilled into the center of the earth, oh wait the pressure and heat exerted from the asthenosphere is far greater than any instrument can handle.

I could ask you the same question. Have you? how would you know its hollow then. They are both theories, and i dont put much stock in the hollow earth theory.

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caveat Lector
The earths core is solid iron, we're 99.9% sure. The massive pressure at the centre keeps the iron in a solid state, not liquid. Surrounding this is believed with less certainty to be a light element, not sure exactly what.

It's the solid core that produces the earths protective magnetic field.

Also the earth days are becomming every so slightly shorter (might be in the billionth of secs), in other words we're spinning ever so slightly faster, not slowing down.

How does that work, when its a known fact that the moons drag is slowing the rotation of the earth and our days are becoming longer. That's why we have leap seconds added every year or something like that.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

How does that work, when its a known fact that the moons drag is slowing the rotation of the earth and our days are becoming longer. That's why we have leap seconds added every year or something like that.

If we are adding seconds then that means that days are getting shorter, which would mean the earth is spinning faster.

I think the hollow earth is a very plausible theory. Fill any globe type object with any loose material and spin it at the speed of the earth's rotation. All the material will be forced to the outer border of the globe leaving a hole in the center. Why would the earth react any differently? Rather than an iron core i would guess there is an iron ring surrounding the hollow inner earth.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Seconds added to every year would be catastrophic.

The earth is hollow, my condolences.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ok so its not seconds but milliseconds. Anyway i doubt the earth is hollow and it is completely known that the earth is slowing down. How would that make days shorter. Think of a figure skater, when they bring there limbs in closer they speed up right? Well guess what the earth does not squeeze inward at the equator, it bulges out because of the drag of the moon and i assuming because of the spin, therefor it is slowing down to make the days longer it a known proven fact.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join