It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loss of Freedoms in Britain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
For everyone on this forum who is British, I welcome your thoughts and opinon please.

Britian prepares its own Patriot Act
www.wsws.org...

Dave Blunket proposes pre-emtive justice
www.wsws.org...

If this has been covered already then ignore it, as the second article is from Feb this year.

Do you think England will become as draconian as the states soon? Is this something to consider or should it be dismissed? I cant see how these measures will dominate for a long period of time in England and the only people affected would be Muslim extremists.

Hitler once said that there is nothing better than terrorism to instill fear and suspend democracies.
Are the English losing their rights right in front of their eyes???

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I take the long term view that this war will spell and end to Bush and probably to Blair ( although Labour will still maintain power"

If that happens then there will be a distinct need for the leaders that replace them to demonstrate how short sighted their predecessors were and how important freedom is in both countries.

If anything I suspect we'll see in increase in freedoms and the concept of a "war on terror" and "living in uncertain times" ( like any times were certain ) will go the way of other political bug bears like the cold war and starwars and Thatcherite Britain.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Thats what I thought, what with the history of IRA etc in England. But they really are taking it to an extreme level and giving themselves total power. The problem will be if there is a major attack in England which I dont think will happen due to the large number of Muslims in the UK.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The laws that are now coming through, anti-terror legislation and such, civil liberties are being stripped slowly in this country and America. We must stand up to even the 'smallest' changes here, it will slowly get worse as time goes on. Blunket should be ashamed of what he has done.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Britian doesn't have a bill of rights and the house of lords is un-elected, so Britian is not really a democracy. We've never had the freedom in the first place, but im not suprised that this is happening.

This sentence sums up the whole act in a few words;

�At a stroke democracy could be replaced by totalitarianism ...

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by infinite]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
TSTF, I agree with your analysis, I believe this war on terror is going to be used to erode individual rights, from privacy to property ownership, across the board for most westerners.
I am not British, but American. I feel that if either Bush is beaten by Kerry (A huge NWO guy) or dies somewhere in the next couple years and is replaced by Cheney (Another huge NWO guy) it'll be an indicator that things are going to go south in a quick way.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is what i think will happen. An attack will happen in the UK and a state of emergency will be declared. We will see all rights thrown out the window, the government will not we-write the rule book, they will burn it.
The government will use the state of emergency to do anything it likes, elections and other political freedoms will probably be outlawed. Lets just say it will be the death of democracy

top topics

join