It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Almighty AEK-971

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Remarkable gun. Possibly will be the next standard weapon in the russian arsenal.

world.guns.ru...

Caliber: 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt, balanced
Overall length: 965 mm
Barrel length: ?? mm
Weigth: 3.3 kg without magazine
Magazine capacity: 30 rds, all standart AK-47 or AK-74 magazines depending on caliber

AEK971 is being developed at Kovrov Machinebuilding Plant (formerly known as Kovrov Machineguns Plant) by chief designer S.I.Koksharov.
Key feature of the AEK971 is gas driven, balanced action with rotating bolt barrel locking. Balancing mean that AEK971 gas drive has two gas chambers and two gas pistons. First gas piston is linked wia gas rod to the bolt carrier an moves as usual. Second gas piston is linked to the balancing msteel weight and moves in opposite (to main gas piston) direction. This design is implemented to eliminate 3 of 4 total impulces of the movement that affect rifle during the full-auto fire. 1st impulse rifle received when bullet moves along the barrel - this is recoil itself. Second impulse rifle received when heavy bolt carrier/bolt group moves along the receiver back and forth. Third impulse is received when bolt carrier/bolt group stops in the rear position and fourth - when this group stops in forward position after new cartridge is chambered. Synchronous and opposite movement of the balancing weight eliminates all except the recoil impulse, so rifle becomes far more stable during full-auto fire.
The gain of accuracy in full auto is whole 15-20%, when compared to AK-74 asault rifle in the same kaliber. The newly adopted by Russian army AN-94 assault rifle has slight edge over the AEK974 only in short burst (2 rounds only) mode. In full-auto medium or long bursrt fire mode (3-5 or 7-10 rounds per burst) AEK974 wins hands down, being also some 0.5kg lighter than AN-94, simplier and cheaper to manufacture.
At the present time AEK971 in both 5.45x39mm and 7.62x39mm chamberings is being tested by Russain army in some quantities (my sources said that at least one hundred of AEK971s in 7.62mm was aquired by Russian army for field testing).
AEK971 has folding metall buttsock with plastic coating (to protect shooter in extremely hot or cold conditions), plastic forearm and fire control grip, and uses standart AK-47 or AK-74 30rds magazines (depending on chamberings). It also features safety switch/fire mode selector of diferent appearance (when compared to Kalashnikow design). Fire selector allows 2 modes of fire - single shots semi-auto and full auto. At some 800-900 rounds per second it's not impossible to manually control lenght of the fire bursrts, and this weapon is more stable during the fire than ordinal design rifles, so 2 or 3 rounds mode is not implemented (at least, at this time).

This is what it would look like when in the Russian Army

I still prefer the AK-103

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It looks like a solid gun, I'm not that impressed. The problem is the caliber, I'd take a 5.56mm over each of those rounds any day.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
JUst how many threads are there going to be on the AK-47 and/or its varients?

Good grief:
AK-47 in The Media
request for AKM-47+ 75-rd. Drum Mag.
AK's/Buttstocks
US Troops using AK instead of M16 in iraq?
US troops in Iraq with AKs!!!
Knights Armament SR-47

Just a few.....

seekerof

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think it's up there with the AK-107/108 and AN-94 in terms of accuracy -- Something about the reduced recoil thingie

And there can never be enough AK threads! Kalashnikov Krazy forever!

~ I had posted about this too at some other AK forum, not much had ta say...I'll get the pics, though.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Sinfulcurves_AK105]

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Sinfulcurves_AK105]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
what!!! too many ak threads??? more like never enough!!! AK 4 life!!!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Nice pic~ Where'd ya get it off of? I'm always lookin for more AK piccies

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
hope this works,,,sorry its in chinese,,,lol dboy.cpgl.net...

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Ak's will dominate the 21st century.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoMrAdE_IvAn
Ak's will dominate the 21st century.

AK47�s already dominate the arms markets. Russia pumped out so many you can go to the Middle East and pick one up for $30.00.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
this is the best looking version of the 410.. i have ever seen!!!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Looks too.... quickly produced in my opinion. Then again Ak's are not mean't to be pretty guns.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
even 3d models of aks look sweet.....sorry im a rendering nut....and im currently playing battlefield vietnam on pc...great game!!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
AK's will only dominate the 3rd world market of the future imho Ivan. The first and second tier countries will continue to use different and newer designs. I like the AK, I have one but, it just isnt as versatile as the AR-15 is already, and whatever the new battle rifle to come is, the AK will lag even further behind.

problems with the AK:

The scope/NV mount is to far forward.

No modular design = No integral attachment areas for lights, lasers and gadgets, AR is highly configureable before and after you buy.

Not nearly as much after market "stuff" some of which is very useful.

Heavy

Loud

Great weapon though. It just isn't in the same class as some other weapon systems thats all. For what it is supposed to do/be, it's perfect. It's perfect for the 3rd world.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Not that impressive, alot more better weapons than that on the market, maybe they should market something better to save money on mass producing something the AK-47 is capable of?

Shattere OUT...

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think AK's (or Soviet rifles in general) will dominate as well -- And please stop mentioning one version the 47 -- there's also the AK-100 series 101 through 108 : AK-107/8 are more advanced as well.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Sinfulcurves_AK105]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
uhh there is not much different between the the 47 and 100 series mechanically. It adds a counter-balancing synchronizer with a six-tooth sprocket.

club.guns.ru...

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The latest Ak's can have many upgrades now. I said "AK" but not Ak-47 when it came too cominating the weapons market.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Variable, the AEK-971 is more advanced than any AR. Also it also costs weight to add the gadgets to the gun, and makes it unwieldly and top heavy. The AEK-971 is also the most accurate gun in the world on full auto, and perfectly suited the mechanized battlefield, also most, i'm sorry for my lack of a word, encounters are within 200 yards, and who ever has the most firepower usually wins.

join