It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Balloon boy' incident was hoax, sheriff says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

'Balloon boy' incident was hoax, sheriff says

www.edition.cnn.com

Three days after the world watched a giant balloon fly through the air and a tearful family express fears that their 6-year-old boy could be inside, authorities announced what millions already suspected: The whole thing was staged.

It was carried out by a couple who met "in acting school in Hollywood" and "put on a very good show for us," Sheriff Jim Alderden of Larimer County said Sunday. Authorities know there was "a conspiracy" between Richard and Mayumi Heene, he said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/18/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well just confirming what we already knew eh?

The guy wanted a reality television show and is even quoted as saying it woudl be easy to create a media stunt to promote his ability to be "real".

This is simply ridiculous, and I for one am a little upset that this was actual news for a whole 3 days.

Lame.

~Keeper

www.edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/18/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Publicity stunt by Dysney Pixar for the film "UP"

Blatently.

edit to say. God bless the innocence of youth, he dropped them right in it with the truth from a childs mouth. That'll teach them to use a child for a stupid thing like that.

[edit on 18/10/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So what's the father's ATS moniker?:

Appearing on the ABC reality TV show "Wife Swap," he told of once passing out in a fast-food restaurant and hearing aliens speak to him. He boasted of his plans to build a flying saucer covered in aluminum foil and send it into a tornado. He pulled his children around a hockey rink on a hovercraft-like device and took them on UFO-hunting expeditions.

Source:
www.google.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm not too proud i'll admit it, I'm the fool who defended the father for educating his kids about science and stuff and for having too much common sense climb aboard it.

Yes I'm a tool. But in my defence when a video of the family finally hit our screens in the UK it was obvious summut was up.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I hope they throw the book at these idiots.
Filing a false Police Report and fine them for every single penny that it cost to run this "rescue operation." Which I'm sure will be quite a substantial sum.

Sounds like this father is a real dim-wit, if you ask me.
"Hey, I got an idea. After I waste a million dollars or so of taxpayer money, my stunt will be so popular that I'll get my own TV show."

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Im so sick of seeing this on T.v.
I can care less if it was a hoax or not.

The airplay they got on this is just ridiculous.

Thats all I have to add.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Im so sick of seeing this on T.v.
I can care less if it was a hoax or not.

The airplay they got on this is just ridiculous.

Thats all I have to add.

I agree, far too much media coverage for something so silly.

These parents need to be shown a lesson.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
We shouldn't be so shocked though....

I suspect the media industry has engendered this kind of mentality. I might even admit that this kind of 'news' sensation has been foisted upon us before, but the viewers were just so 'charmed' by the production that they never tell us....

News is money to them. Ever wonder why so many media stories are about the media? Ever notice how eventually most successful television shows have their plot-lines converge on media topics, lifestyles, and showmanship? Notice that our elected officials are 'celebrities' instead of servants of the people.

Glamor is a disease. This class of person and industry is all about catching and holding your attention.

Sadly, even the 'accidental' revelation maybe a staged, scripted, or produced event. This guy will come out of this a winner. "Shame" is not an element of show business.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I knew it all along, the reaction of the kids after the fact said it all, something in the body language.

I'm really not tooting my own horn here but something about this incident sent up a false flag from the very beginning:
Here is my first post on this subject:
first post by Alxandro

..and my second where I suspected the parents were in on it to get publicity. Note the so called music video the kids appear in which obviously was filmed by the publicity whore dad:

second post by Alxandro

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I for one am a little upset that this was actual news for a whole 3 days.

I don't think it should have been news even if the kid had been inside and died. It'd serve the idiot right.

But I guess that's just me...

As George Carlin said, think of it as passive eugenics: "The kid who swallowed too many marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own."

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
removed off topic

[edit on 18-10-2009 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well if it was a hoax apparantly the parents weren't the only ones in on it.

Alderden said the alleged hoax had been planned for at least two weeks and that investigators suspect that other individuals and a "media outlet" that he would not name were in on it.

"We do understand, looking at some of the documents already, that at least one of the media outlets has agreed to pay them some money with regards to this particular incident," Alderden said.

I had no idea that this had gone as far as the authorities searching their home.

Alderden said interviews with the parents Saturday resulted in enough information to get a warrant to search the house. He said they were looking for computers, e-mails, phone records and financial records.

I'm guessing they won't be able to use any of that money from any media outlet for anything other than paying for the rescue mission, some hefty fines, and attorney's fees.
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I hope the selfish father learns a valuable lesson about using his son for something as nefarious as fattening his pockets and for his 10 seconds of fame. Let's hope he has to pay the city and county tax payers for the rescue operation by the authorities. However, I don't think it is necessary for the father to be taken from the family and thrown in prison, but a hefty fine is in order.

Perhaps, a wage garnishment would be in order, to keep this mistake a reminder to him for sometime to come. The father and mother definitely have no class to allow this tom-foolery to commence with their son at the forefront. I am glad the son told the truth regardless of the outcome to his parents. He did the right and honorable thing, because he was definitely used by the people who should be the last to do something like this to him. I hope the parents learn their lesson, and that the son can forgive them, when learns more about what he has been used for a child when he becomes an adult.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Publicity stunt by Dysney Pixar for the film "UP"

Blatently.

[edit on 18/10/2009 by Acidtastic]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dd5bffd79848.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 19-10-2009 by Happyfeet]

[edit on 19-10-2009 by Happyfeet]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I hope these morons get their kids taken away for child endangerment and get tons of jail time.

They don't deserve them after using innocent children to make money.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I for one am glad that I yelled 'publicity stunt' early in the developments of this story, otherwise I'd feel very stupid right now. But like I wrote before, I rather have this being a stunt then having a boy gone off with that balloon for real.

That father, wow he's one hell of an actor. Did you see him crying in front of those reporters? What good would he be in a reality show if he's gonna act to spice it up all the time?
He lost all credability with this one.. no one is ever gonna believe a word he says anymore. I hope they don't give him his own show but I keep expecting something along that line...

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I hope the for the kid's sake this never turns out to be a "Boy that cried Wolf" scenario, where by there really is an incident that requires the assistance of the emergency services.

The parents are clearly media whores of the worst kind and personify todays celebrity hungry culture and they are more than willing to use their kids as pawns in order to gain some degree of notoriety, turning them in to liars with complete disregard for the repurcussions.

This is tantamount to child abuse and these people are clearly unfit to be parents, maybe they can get a reality TV deal detailing their struggles as they fight the courts for custody of their kids.

I wouldn't doubt that these kids are going to be ridiculed at school.

The father needs to be heavily fined for wasting the emergency services time.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by Koka]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The guy wanted a reality television show and is even quoted as saying it woudl be easy to create a media stunt to promote his ability to be "real".

Lets let him have his reality media show after all.

Have cameras tag along when they're served by bailiffs, of the judicial process as the case is made against their reckless behaviour, the time incarcerated on remand and finally, the tear-jerking close-up shot as the verdict is read in court

he who lives by the media shall die by the media

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

There's NO proof of evidence of ANY crime commited..read the ENTIRE article .. or at least half of it. .

but, I guess it's enough to holler CRIME and have the police just walk in your home and grab all you got.. without a SHRED of evidence which is what I read in the Oreonian just yesterday. what would be crime, making a hoax movie ??

your right .. sump'n IS UP !!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join