It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the youth is the future, we're screwed...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'll start this off, with my own response to said topic, and end with a conspiracy.

Thirty-three percent of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map.

*Raises Hand* I can do this, I can so name this one, although 35% of respondents couldn't find this place on a map, one year after a huge hurricane hit it.... although I have asked people around me, which state was hit by Katrina... only about one answered Louisiana... I was suprised...

Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.

This, this was actually better then I thought, at least some have a little ambition there!

Still shocking that anyone could answer... no. Well heck, these are the voters!

Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.

Hell, I'll give em this one, I didn't know either.

Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.

I could find it, but we should rejoice that more then half could find it right!!!

Forty-seven percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.

Seventy-five percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.

Well I couldn't find it, so I'll give em that one.

Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.

Smacks forehead.

Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world.

Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

30% actually thought the most fortified border was between the US and Mexico....?

Seriously... makes me either question the test, or people very greatly!

Oh and this was in 2006...
Source

The United States is failing to develop the math skills of both girls and boys, especially among those who could excel at the highest levels, a new study asserts, and girls who do succeed in the field are almost all immigrants or the daughters of immigrants from countries where mathematics is more highly valued.

All this right here tells me, isn't that another race is smarter, just that they care more!!! You can be smart as hell, but if you don't care, you'll end up the dumbest.

A major reason, according to the study, is that American culture does not highly value talent in math, and so discourages girls — and boys, for that matter — from excelling in the field.

Well, from my viewpoint, bias maybe, Americans, see the world, as A garden of eden, where all the other countries want them to be miserable to, and the only thing that will bring you success, is making an ass out of yourself on american idol, watching american idol, becoming a rockstar, or actor. But nowhere in there, is intelligence held to any value.

Source

For me, it seems, that if we didn't point out the genius, or intellectual in movies as the geek, the outcast, the friggin lepor. Then we would have more of a society that was *gasp* smart.

But as it is, a Dumb American, Is a Good American.

If TPTB, can keep up ignorant (Racism, Terrorism, Sexism) and focus on the ignorant topics, then we can't get bored, and focus on, say 'math, science, foreign relations, the administration, politics'.

For those who become parents, coming from, a non parent, but just simply, a child, (will always be a child lol) whatever you do, make intelligence Numero Uno!

My parent, took the stance of there are different religions, different politics, different everything. Pick, and Choose, at your own time, But whatever you do, broaden your horizons. She was bias, but to no avail I tell you!

I figure the best outcome of a change, would be for the administration to actually do something helpful, but not only is that probable, it's not possible.

Now, the thing for me is, I hated my teachers, loathed them, felt they loathed me also.

Now some... had good reason to in foresight.

But all in all, when I looked back, each one, yes every one, wanted only for me to know more, and I'll be damned if I didn't take advantage of that, and I'm still redeeming!

As all kids, I just wanted to be popular, got that. Doesn't really matter after high school and college, unless you know the right people, which is fairly rare, and if you have big dreams, is even more rare!

The best shot you got, is being intelligent!

We've got to shatter the illusion TPTB shed, of You can win the Lotto, Anyone can be a Actor/Actress, You can be the Next Top Model, You can be Americas Idol!

Because with a huge amount of america being obese, next top model or anything but the lotto, isn't really in all honesty, a possibility!

Any ideas on how we can change the future, by helping the youth by changing their priorities, or just let it go with a trial and fail attitude.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Hey there Republican,

I cant really comment for the American Education system or parenting there, but when i was younger, and at home in Scotland we grew up knowing that we had to do well at school and then go on to either get a good trade job or continue the hard work at university.

Why did we know this?......

because our parents told us so. they had lived through hard times (and their parents even harder times). times that you learned the real values of life. Things you had to work for or you couldnt survive.

Most people these days are fairly spoiled by the fact theyve had most things put on a plate for them. Not had to really work to get them.

Maybe i am forgetting the fact of the governmnet too. but thats an area i dont know much about. the schooling system etc.

Yes, you can blame the system if kids dont know where India is etc...

but i would make sure i teach my own kids all they need to know, not just what the schools do.

Parenting my friend. In my opinion its where the buck falls. Government can be terrible and the system can fail many, but all parents have the chance to raise their own superstar if you ask me.

g.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I can't speak for others, but I have tried to correct this, at least with my own children. A few years ago I noticed the public education received, well sucks. It was not some major epiphany just simply realizing that they were not at places were they had mastered the skills I mastered as a youngster. I considered homeschooling, but I think that there is if nothing else a social benefit in attending traditional school. The solution I found was partial homeschooling, everyday after school we do educational activities, whether is it teaching math so that they are ahead or history, geography, memorizing the constitution, whatever. We attend all the locally available museums, and since we live in a major city there are quite a few, we go historical landmarks and the like, and honestly they enjoy it. I was amazed this year when my daughter went into class and the teacher was discussing the years field trips and my daughter was making suggestions of what to make sure they see since she had already been to every place planed and could describe what would be inline with their lessons.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

From what I see what you did, was probably the best thing you could possibly do.

Getting them engaged, and making it real, museums and such, could do wonders.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Our education system here in the USA is a farce.

Somehow I'm not surprised at any of the results for that 2006 survey. Cell phones, video games, television, they've become the new babysitter for today's kids. I for one full well believe that cell phone abbreviations will lead to the death of the English language, every time I hear some young person using LOL or other abbreviations in an actual VERBAL spoken sentence I have to resist the urge to hurt them

But the scary thing is I myself have been tempted to use them at one time or another (and I don't even own a cell phone).

I think a great deal of the trouble comes from our propaganda. We in America spent quite a while believing our country was some divine experiment and that we were the center of the world. We became arrogant bullies on the world stage and stopped being competitive when it came to education because why educate the kids if they're part of the Master Nation that rules the world? This sort of misguided arrogance is at the root of the problem. We stopped teaching about the rest of the world since we were so obsessed with ourselves. I can't count the number of times our history classes covered the founding of the "New World", the Continental Congress, and the Civil War, nearly every year we went over these eras and only a handful of times did we turn outward to the rest of the world.

There's also that bias against math you mentioned. I hated math in school, well, I was okay with it until they wanted to replace all the numbers with letters and symbols

There isn't enough value placed on being smart, in fact being a "nerd" will get you made fun of, this I know from experience. Also that the education system seems to revolve around memorization rather than critical thinking in this country, we teach empty facts that are forgotten right after the test about them and that aren't put into context. The question is who is doing this? Is someone purposefully dumbing down America or are we doing it to ourselves, I think its both personally.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I'm with you on this one. I recently looked at my old high school's requirements for graduation and its curriculum and I had to send them a letter.

First I'm going to say I am a geographer, so that's where my bias lies. That said, I found my high school no longer required students to take: Geography, Government, or Economics.

No real loss on Geography or Economics really, since they were both rather weak courses, but at least they exposed the students to the important ideas. How Government can be taken out though....

I will give them a pat on the back...sorta. They now require to graduate a year of a foreign language. Only catch is that a) They only offer Spanish and b) They now only have to take 3 years of English.

Even some of my friends from high school who were not the sharpest bunch see that this isn't going to end well. The new students are basically being taught how to act but not to think. One even ventured without me prodding to say something about how they were almost programmed slaves. This made me raise an eyebrow because they don't believe anything about the NWO and have some faith in our government.

It is sad these facts are true, but what I want to see is if there is another study from pre-NCLB, and if that stupid program harmed or helped this. Also if the trend showed that all the important statistics were falling, then we'd have something more concrete to point to and go "Something's afoot Watson."

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Times have just changed is all.

How many young kids are more proficient on a computer then their parents? There is plenty of examples that shows today's youth will be just fine as long as the world doesn't get much more screwed up before its handed to them.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Being a youth I resent that! Jk, kind of. I could probably have answered most of those questions right (except maybe the border between the Koreas). I bet most of my friends could too. Who the heck are they asking?

I blame it on pop culture mostly, like you said American Idol and what not. There's less of an emphasis in Pop culture to care about things like, math, science, politics, and the likes. However I don't think you can force it upon someone to like something like Math. I always hated math and still do nothing will ever change that. I always got along better in Music and English anyhow.

Also people must understand different cultures value different types of intelligence. Intelligence isn't just knowledge of Math & Science, but can be different things like Social, Musical, Spatial, and Verbal intelligence.

We shouldn't brainwash our youth into liking something vs another. We should allow them to choose their own paths and pursue their interests. Unfortunately the education system is under the impression that all kids have the ability to perform well at all subjects, but this isn't true. I guarantee a student would be more attentive and motivated to study/work in subjects they actually enjoy, instead of having to sit through several they do not enjoy or holds little value to the career they are pursuing.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Well, when I was looking into homeschooling it seemed to me the bulk of the education was presented through field trips, why can't I do this in addition to traditional school? I absolutely can, my parents did, so all the more reason for me to. It gives them more to look into, it helps them to realize that there is so much more to the world than what is covered in a short time in class, and in my opinion in a sub par fashion. They literally ask to go to the science museum every single saturday, which I love because it is not forced and everyone enjoys it.

I think a major problem is that many families are forced whether by circumstance or desire to have both parents work, and therefore out of the home and I believe they expect their children to do well in school, but they do not have the time nor the energy to ensure that the job of educating and raising their children is being done properly. I am fortunate enough that I do not have to work now, and have the time and resources to do this, but I know that when I was working it would have been incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish this. Especially with the rise in single parent homes, it is hard enough to get home at 6 or later in many circumstances, get them fed and bathed, and then its bed time, I get it. But, honestly after the first semester of doing this they had all raised their grades AT LEAST one letter grade, sometimes 2, now it is nearly straight A's (which I expect since as I said the system is horrible and it's not that difficult to get an A).

When I was growing up, my parents were always taking us somewhere educational (whether we realized it or not) and I assumed (in my child like mind) that, that was what all parents did, until I became parent that is, and realized especially today that is not the case. I definitely am thankful that my parents did that for me, and now realizing the importance of it, that I can do that for my children. I think parents simply need to take a more active role in the upbringing of their children. I realize that may sound odd, but we can not, and I will not, allow anyone whether its the state or anyone else bare the burden of turning my children into productive well educated adults, that is my (and my husbands) responsibility.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I really think that if everyone would get off the MEDS and learn how to cope with *stuff*, the country would be a better and brighter place. I am on no antidepressant medication. (or anything else) I think clearly, try to learn, and use my brain. The rampant stupidity that plagues this once great nation is out of hand. "Dumb American" is exactly right. Plain common sense can not be taught. You either have it, or you don't.

Just look at this swine flu scamdemic. Maybe depopulation might not be so bad...only the strong *minded* survive???

Blah.

Surrounded by idiots,

MMD
Fargo, ND

[edit on 18-10-2009 by rokrep69]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
i think another thing to take into account is the amount of actual teacher time kids get these days. Class sizes where im from have more than doubled in recent years.

do teachers even know all their pupils names these days?

Kids are more like numbers than anything else.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
This has to be intentional by the government. Ignorant people are much easier to govern. They dont care as long as they get their entertainment on the tube.

Then again, the schools treat every kid the same weather or not they have an interest for something or not. And they dont try to get people interested either. Its just all about "this is what you must do to pass - memorize this".

It doesnt teach people to think for themselves, and it doesnt teach them the value of actually being able to think critically.

Im pretty sure its going according to plan.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The dumbing down of the human race is going entirely to plan! A stupid, dis empowered race is a far easier one to rule over. Where is the hope when the new generation cannot even spell 'Status Quo', let alone question it.

However we can rest assured that a quick google search will set them straight.

Status Quo; Glam Rock band from the 70's!

IRM

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
To be honest, I could never understand why it matter where we think some country is, on a globe or map. What difference does it make? Do I need to know that Iran is on this part of the globe, and not on that part of it? These countries are all man-made divisions of the earth, subject to change at a moment's notice.

About half the countries that existed when I learned geography, are gone now. USSR, East Pakistan, West Pakistan, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, South Africa, Tibet, East Germany, West Germany, and so on. New countries have arisen - Georgia, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, and so on. These are imaginary lines drawn in the dirt (or in the sand, on the water, etc.), and have little to do with reality.

If you've got a beef with the youth of today, the blame rests squarely on the people who are supposed to be teaching them - teachers and parents. Kids only learn what they're taught. I you don't teach them right, they won't learn right.

It is a popular past time for older people to throw up their hands and complain about how bad the younger generation is.

What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?
— Plato, 4th Century BC

We've been bitching about it for 2500 years. Enough already. If you don't like how the kids are turning out, do a better job of teaching them.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

So we're screwed because some of todays young people suck at geography? I'm not sure I understand this theory. How exactly is being able to identify locations on a map in any way relevant to our future? I was less then average in that subject and I don't consider myself any kind of negative factor for todays people or situation.

I'm not saying that the school system is perfect but sheeesh.... "screwed" no I think not or at least not for that reason.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Where did South Africa go?

Anyway - kids may learn what you teach them, but if its not in the curriculum - then they aren't getting taught that are they?

The other issue - you can give yourself a much better chance of teaching if you have children who show respect - don't want drones who are bowing to authority, but rather they show respect for the learning process, their fellows and the poor slob who has the job of teaching.

I am sure it is intentional - the globalists want ignorant people.

As far as geography goes, why is it important? Because if they know where all the places are, they can visualize history - how did this army end up there - why did this army get stuck or move so slowly.

A map will teach you a great deal about history, economics and politics - simply by understanding how things fit together. So ya - geography is important - unless you think history, economics and world politics aren't important either?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

*Raises Hand* I can do this, I can so name this one, although 35% of respondents couldn't find this place on a map, one year after a huge hurricane hit it.... although I have asked people around me, which state was hit by Katrina... only about one answered Louisiana... I was suprised...

Well then, you are going to be really surprised when you learn that Louisiana was not the only state hit by Katrina. Take if from a person who lived in the state and went through it.

Did you only watch CNN about the disaster, because there were also several towns and cities in Mississippi that were vitually flattened by that hurricane. If you took a drive through say, Pass Christian, you would see that there are still blue tarps on a lot of roofs, and homes that are still being either re-built completely, or re-modeled. Just because people chose to stay, and not evacuate when warned, doesn't mean they were the only ones affected.

As for your title, rather I find people don't take much of an interest in things that don't apply directly to them. If something does not mean anything to them in their daily routine, they could care less. This applies to older people as well as younger people. People are so wrapped up in their own lives, and how to survive, they could care less where a country is located on a map.

I will say once again, it isn't just younger people. It's a lot of folks, who suffer from Ostrich syndrome. They might be 15 or 95. Same difference.

There is no need for you to become, what I call a "gapper!" Look at your own age group, please!

edit to fix quote

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.

I could find it, but we should rejoice that more then half could find it right!!!

What!?

They say six in 10 could NOT find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.

That means that only 40% could locate the country on a map - how the heck is that more than half? (is that American math?)....

Hehe! and now they used a map of "only" the "Middle east" to make it simple for the kids - imagine what the result would be if they had used a big WORLD map!

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I agree with you on this, i mean op. I look back at the people i went to school with and thing about what they did to destroy my life, and there was no critical thinking anywhere in that group. These people probably have government or police jobs, and there thinking processes where useless at school, and just think they are in jobs that matter and there analytical brain was useless.

I think hardly anyone in society has analytical abilities, most people never think deeper than a shallow pond. Thats why alot of us here are frowned upon.

Just to think the people who wrecked my life are the ones who make the society the rubbish place it is, and they have the power jobs as they are the beasts.

No wisdom at all.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Having been raised in an era where the measure of a youth's success was based on aceing a spelling, math, or geography test, I can say that I've changed my mind.

The youth in whom we can place our hope for the future will not be those who try to live up to our standards, but those who can identify the faults in it and try to change things for the better.

If the kid who can't locate a country on a map happens to be the one that stands up to an oppressor (one more likely than not from a preceding generation), then I still think humanity will be in good hands.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join