It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS discussion been dumbed down?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kcfusion
I'm sorry but you cannot blame the young which is my generation (or so i think) for the ignorance of our parents and grandparents. At the same time they did not have the access to information that we currently have! All i can say my generation are more awake more open than ever before.

This is a statement and attitude born of age. Similar words have been uttered in every generation since the pyramids were the big new thing.

The bigger issue here is that as more and more members join ATS the larger the majority of people that fall into one of the big camps..... left, right, liberal, conservative, white black up down...... They can't see the benefit of meeting in the middle on anything because to them there is only one side.

ATS is, unfortunately, no longer a place for the odd thinking open minded few who may cross swords but still respect the opponent.

It is a place where the majority fights it out to prove they are right no matter what, just as they do on other sites and in the popular media.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy1880

I'm saying that the openmindedness of my generation has been superceeded by the partisanism of younger folk.

I'm still not convinced. I think the reality of this, and I'm speaking as someone in his early 40s, is actually quite different than you're suggesting. Yes, the government are creating a divisive and volatile environment based on fear, and yes, this is a 'new' thing, or at least something that hasn't been been seen since the very early days of the Cold War, the World Wars and the 16th and 17th religious merry-go-round. However, this is also being balanced by other, equally pervasive messages from elsewhere.

Culturally, we are now equally bombarded with messages that promote positive messages about 'diversity', whether it's race, gender or religion. In fact, the only thing that isn't 'cool' now is 'age'.

Now compare this to the 'good old days' of the 1960s and the 1970s. I'm not sure what idyll of tolerance you were living in but it's generally accepted that people weren't 'open-minded' and tolerant as you're suggesting. In fact, the driver for diversity inclusion and so on has come directly off the attitudes that were common in decades like those.

So, whilst there was no overt or covert government-borne messages in the way there is now, the general attitudes floating about, both informing and informed by the media and culture more than made up for that.

I put it to you that there was no radical islamic groups beating up white kids when I was younger. I appreciate It isn't much a comfort to hear but maybe they have sprung up because they live in a society that teaches people that muslim's are to be feared. I know I would hang around in groups of the same as me if I knew that all around me thought I was a loonatic terrorist.

The problem is with this is that you're painting these people in the scenario I've mentioned as if they're the threatened minority on the back foot and defensive. They're not. In this instance they're actually an aggressive majority.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The most interesting part of this thread is that, had I any doubt about the general gist of the OP, the thread itself would have dispelled it.

Immediately the US OR THEM crowd flocked here, as if on cue

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
jee i cant agree op'
i was brainwashed in school to love my country (bulgaria) and theyr godlike heroes,but it didnt work on me,how can they make me love a stupid idiotic country full of mafia and corruption..and rude idiots.
dont underestimate young people,you KNOW the new generation is ALWAYS superior to the old one. sure there are lots of stupid pricks and brainwashed ones,,,and emos listening to deathmetal,but there are alot of inteligent young people,some of them connected around the world throw ATS.
and islamic takeover IS a big ideal,for god sake theyr trying to do sharia laws in england?!!>!!?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join