It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(VIDEO) Officer punches student at least 27 times in shocking display of Police Brutality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

nugget.ca...

LONDON, Ontario — Accusations of police brutality are being leveled at city police and the University of Western Ontarios campus police after a video surfaced on YouTube showing six officers beating a suspect during an arrest.

But city police and university officials say the disoriented and violent suspect was combative and resistant after campus police tried to arrest the 22-year-old who had barricaded himself in an upper floor office of the Social Sciences building.

City police were called to assist in the arrest around 5 p.m. and the student was eventually subdued and taken to hospital for observation before being charged with mischief, resisting arrest, assault, and escaping custody.

The video, shot by an unknown student, shows the suspect being kneed at least five times, struck with a telescopic baton at least six times and punched by one officer at least 27 times.

I know the police have a job, that at times is extremely stressful and demanding, but as trained proffesionals they are expected to set an example of how to behave. The conduct of some of the officers in this video is quite simply inexcusable, and not only should they be fired, but criminal charges should be laid against them.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Eye On War]

[mod edit: added source link and Required EX tags]
Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Eye On War]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's not really that shocking. Police do that all the time.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Chovy]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

City police were called to assist in the arrest around 5 p.m. and the student was eventually subdued and taken to hospital for observation before being charged with mischief, resisting arrest, assault, and escaping custody.

I'm sorry but that made me laugh

As for the video, its a hard topic to discuss. Yes i do believe that police are too heavy handed a lot of the time, but they do have difficult and dangerous jobs.

If i was arresting somebody and they kept "resisting" i would be asking myself 'why are they doing this, are they reaching for a weapon?'

But i didn't see much "resisting" in that video. I would also presume it is hard to remain still when being punched, kicked and kneed.

I think that the NUMEROUS police officers had the situation in hand, no need for excessive force.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eye On War

...charged with mischief, resisting arrest, assault, and escaping custody.

This kind of crap make me want to puke!
What was the original charge? ...mischief?

You're supposed to lay there limp while the cops bark mostly incoherent and conflicting instructions at you, and if you tense up at all in anticipation of the beating you're likely to get, you get beaten harder and charged with 'resisting'.

If you fully comply (limp) while being restrained, you stand a good chance of being slammed to the ground, and/or sucker punched in your soft spots.

If you lose some teeth or break some ribs in the process...too bad.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Absolutely awful, the police should all be Fired for what they did, My condolences to the victim

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
It's not really that shocking. Police do that all the time.

I agree.

This is nothing new or shocking.

Welcome to the land of the free, the home of the brave.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
These pigs wonder why some people run from them. Even ones that really have no reason to run.

Cop: why did you run? It would have been a small fine for mischief.

Suspect: I figured you were gonna beat the S--- outta me.

I don't know, i just lose more, and more trust for law enforcement these days.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
We don't know any circumstances and can't tell if the man is or was armed so commenting is futile. He probably deserved to get an arss whoopin by someone though.

EDIT: what does this have to do with the NWO? Petty local law enforcers are not part of the plan and will be in a cage with us when the SHTF.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by rygi23]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Did Canada become the 51st state?
I need to pay more attention to the news...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Did Canada become the 51st state?
I need to pay more attention to the news...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
And these are the one's you are going to look to when TSHTF i would be very scared they are animals.
They should be identified and prosecuted looks like train station there should be CCTV all over that was just wrong.

THANKYOU

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

I for one will not be looking to these pigs for help when the SHTF.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is the background story...

communications.uwo.ca...

The incident began shortly after 5 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 14 when campus police were contacted by a student in the Social Sciences building who reported being followed by another student acting in a strange manner.

A short time later, campus police received calls regarding a disoriented and threatening individual who had appeared on two different floors attempting to enter offices. On the 8th floor, the suspect entered an office and attempted to force the occupant to leave. Being unsuccessful, the suspect left and subsequently barricaded himself in a 7th floor office. London Police were called.

Two campus officers arrived on the scene and the suspect came out of the barricaded office and charged the officers in a violent manner. Other persons on the floor fled for their own safety and some locked themselves in their own offices.

A third officer arrived and the three officers attempted to subdue the suspect, but he was able to break away from officers and fled.

On the main floor the suspect was stopped by a campus police officer and a confrontation took place as the suspect attempted to flee. London Police officers arrived on the scene to assist campus police and tried to subdue the suspect, who continued to fight violently and would not allow himself to be handcuffed.

After numerous loud requests to the suspect to stop resisting, officers used punches and strikes to the suspect’s arms to apply handcuffs.

I will have to watch the video again, but the strikes could be centered on his shoulders and not the head. And the knee strikes looked to be an attempt to spread his legs, a charlie horse to the thigh or calf is warranted if that is what is happening.

You have to look at the follow through and types of strike they use. The blows to the head/shoulder were glancing blows. He was not driving his fist through the punch, he could have used a lot more force. If you hit someone hard in the head that many times they aren't going to be conscious. He was not hitting hard enough to cause bleeding, and it is pretty easy to open a bleeding wound doing so. These officers have to have some type of force available to them, they could have used a tazer, which is more damaging to the individual.

The suspect was eventually subdued and as he was being led outside, he began to fight once again. He was further restrained by officers. An ambulance arrived at this time. Paramedics had been called because officers felt the behaviour exhibited by the individual indicated he should be assessed at hospital.

The resistance continued after the individual was transported to hospital. He was released into police custody at 3 a.m., Oct. 15.

Police charged a 22-year-old fourth-year Social Sciences student with mischief, resisting arrest, assault, and escaping custody. He was described as 6 feet, 230 pounds. No weapon was believed involved.

Bottom line. The kid was drunk, attempted to break into multiple offices, forced people out, rushed police officers who demonstrated a level of restraint which initially allowed the suspect to escape from them after being violent. They caught him again, he continued resisting being put in a position to be handcuffed.

Look, if you're an officer dealing with a 6ft, 230 lb drunk guy who has already been violent and does not want to be handcuffed, every moment he isn't restrained is another chance for him to attack the officers. You think they didn't realize they were being watched? This wasn't in a back alley, they did what they had to do to protect themselves and the people in the building. If our officers can't apply some force then what are they supposed to do? A drunk guy of that size can give and take quite a beating. He even kept fighting after being transported to the hospital. This guy was obviously out of his mind.

What would we be saying if after the first time he got away he harmed an innocent person? We'd be chastising the officers for not being able to restrain him when they had the chance, which if their goal was to beat the guy up, wouldn't have happened. This guy had multiple chances, he was violent, and he deserved what he got.

Beyond anything else, this guy had multiple opportunities to comply and cooperate with the police.

He could have avoided being hit by...

1. Not breaking into offices for whatever reason
2. Not charging police officers violently
3. Not fighting them and running away
4. Not fighting them again
5. Complying with the arrest, no one is escaping from 6 officers like that but he continued to try.

He had plenty of chances to not be in the situation he was. This is his responsibility and those blows are a result of his choices. Yeah, if they had broken his arm or beat him bloody it would be excessive. 27 strikes that don't cause anything other than bruising aren't really strikes, ask anyone who has been in a real fight.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Parabol]

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Parabol]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

My statement still stands.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

When i first saw this it looked like a train station thanks for clearing that up.
Nobody deserves what they did to him they could of restrain him without all that violence it was not just punching you know.

THANKYOU

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

Yeah, why would you want a force of people trying to protect you. For every video you see like this every couple months on ATS there are thousands of instances where they indirectly helped you. They are real people, who have chosen a difficult job. How many people do you help in your day compared to them? Sure, if you don't want those six officers helping you out, fine, but the whole force. Really? Really?? You think you or we'd be better off without them?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

I see what you're saying, but imagine you're in their position. Wrestling or fighting someone just to win is much easier than trying to accomplish a goal like handcuffing them. The guy weighs 230lbs, and while we don't know what his muscle/fat ratio looks like, he's most likely stronger than the average person.

The blows they chose to use were no where near as damaging as they could have been. Yeah, a charlie horse to the thigh hurts like hell, but it's not permanent damage. The blows to the head hurt, but it's as much a tool of distraction as it is simply pain. They could have bent his joints to subdue him, tearing a ligament in the process. I guarantee a knee to the head could have put him down. I'm not supporting violence, but there comes a point where a minimum level is traded to accomplish the task of restraining the one person there who wasn't holding themselves back at all.

I know my statement of this doesn't hold much water, but trying to subdue someone like that is a lot, a lot more difficult than it looks. Think of a baby trying to get out of something by becoming dead weight or contorting their body. They can be a huge pain, it's not that you aren't powerful enough. It's that you're trying to accomplish a specific task, not a general beat down. So while I could take that baby out, putting his legs in those pants is gonna be a bit harder. Scale those contortions and resistance up and you have the difficult task of putting this man is a specific position to handcuff him. Adding to the fact that he's already been violent towards police officers, which is a pretty big no-no. Again, they could have tazed him, i would much rather see weak blows than a strong tazer.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
reply to post by Lichter daraus

Yeah, why would you want a force of people trying to protect you. For every video you see like this every couple months on ATS there are thousands of instances where they indirectly helped you. They are real people, who have chosen a difficult job. How many people do you help in your day compared to them? Sure, if you don't want those six officers helping you out, fine, but the whole force. Really? Really?? You think you or we'd be better off without them?

Wow, chill out all i said was I'm losing more trust in them. i see a lot of hot headed pigs, even where i live and its not a big city. They are also real people that can and some are corrupt like where i live the police are very corrupt. After reading your post on what really went down my veiw on this particular incident may have changed but I'm still losing my trust in them. Once again chill out I'm entitled to my opinions. Also where did i say we would be better without them, i never said that, nor was i implying that. But when the SHTF i will not trust them for sure as it will be hard to trust anybody at that point.

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Since I'm not cop,EMT,paramedic, or any other like that how the hell would i help as many people as they do. That's like comparing apples to oranges, you cant do that. I have helped people, but of course it will never be as much as them though. "I'm losing trust in them and i will not look up to them for help when SHTF", That statement still stands for me...

PEACE!!!

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

Wow, chill out all i said was I'm losing more trust in them. i see a lot of hot headed pigs, even where i live and its not a big city. They are also real people that can and some are corrupt like where i live the police are very corrupt. After reading your post on what really went down my veiw on this particular incident may have changed but I'm still losing my trust in them. Once again chill out I'm entitled to my opinions. Also where did i say we would be better without them, i never said that, nor was i implying that. But when the SHTF i will not trust them for sure as it will be hard to trust anybody at that point.

Well that's not actually what you said. You described a scenario where the person assumes offhand that a cop is going to beat them up for simple mischief. Then you said you wouldn't look to them for help when # hits the fan. Sounds a bit different than losing trust.

Oh you're entitled to your opinions by all means, but I think you'd be better off not to say screw you to the police in a situation where they might be the only ones trying to help. I may have seemed aggressive or whatever, but honestly it got to me imagining someone turning down genuine help because they thought most police officers were corrupt.

You're right, trusting people if SHTF will be tough. Personally, I'll be more inclined to trust and help an individual who is trained in police tactics, armed, and knows a bunch of other guys just like that. I'm sorry to hear your town has a corrupt force, i'm not gonna argue you on that, they might be. Hopefully your town gets cleaned up or you move somewhere that is more safe for you. I understand our viewpoints are determined by our environment and that ours are different.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join