It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mckinnon extradition put on hold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I know there are various threads started in relation to the various twists and turns relating to Gary Mckinnon (I've started one or two myself in relation to previous developments), but I thought the lastest news deserved its own thread.

(If the mods disgree, they can lock this thead).

news.bbc.co.uk...

Hacker's extradition put on hold

Gary McKinnon says he acted out of curiosity, not malice
A Briton accused of hacking into secret military and Nasa computers has had his extradition to the US put on hold as new psychiatric evidence is considered.

Glasgow-born Gary McKinnon, 42, was denied permission to appeal to the Supreme Court against his removal.

He then had 14 days to appeal to the European Court, but the Home Office has agreed to consider new evidence and has put that 14-day deadline on hold.

I think this is the first good news for McKinnon in quite a while - albeit the hold on his extradition may not last long...

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is really good news!

It's obvious that the American government is eager to make an example of him.
Let's all hope that doesn't happen

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

So is this a kind of "admit that you are as mad as a brush and we will ease off a bit in our efforts to get you over here" type of deal.

Because if he is proven to be completely delusional no one will give any kind of validity to anything he may say publicly in the future regarding any sensitive information he may have seen.

It's certainly a bit of good news for the family. I wish them all the best in their efforts to protect him from the US authorities.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Thanks for that.

Perhaps the US are realsing how damaging the case could be. For THEM !

GOOD LUCK GARY.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I just read about this on The Daily Mail.co.uk and I'm happy for Gary.

Like one of the comments from the above linked news-site says:

The guy's an idiot. he should do time in jail. But he's an English idiot, our idiot, and he should do his time in an English prison.

source: The Daily Mail.co.uk

nuff said.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

The guy's an idiot. he should do time in jail. But he's an English idiot, our idiot, and he should do his time in an English prison.

nuff said.

That's a fantastic quote. I'm starring that comment by proxy through you.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

nuff said.

Very pleased for McKinnon. Good news indeed.

I think the comment you quoted is hilarious. I don't agree that he's an idiot. However, at least it shows that people who are not necessarily wholly sympathetic to him can still see the injustice of his threatened extradition.

It would make a good humorous T-shirt campaign that would inject some fun into the issue and perhaps soften people a little to Gary's plight.

"He may be an idiot, but he's our idiot! Don't extradite Gary!"

And maybe:

"English time for an English crime"? LOL

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

The Daily Mail is one of several newspapers and organisations in the UK that is attempting to prevent the Gary's extradition from the UK.

The fight against the extradition is not limited a few voices within the UFO community...

The Daily Mail website has a further editorial relating to the extradition, which includes the following:

A man's life is at stake, Mr Johnson
By Daily Mail Comment

Few issues have brought together the great and the good in the same way as the fight to save computer hacker Gary McKinnon from extradition to the U.S.

From leaders of the opposition parties to the American Civil Liberties Union, all agree that condemning an Asperger's sufferer to up to 60 years in a U.S jail would be unjust and cruel, particularly as his 'crimes' were committed in Britain.
Over to you, Mr Johnson. Nothing less than a man's life is at stake.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join