It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can war be the means for peace?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
How can war possibly lead to peace? The very act of war displaces the very possibility of peace.

It simply amazes me that no one has brought this up yet. I think the problem people are having, is that they are trying to limit the ideas of war and peace into chronological events.

Those who have experienced, perpetrated, allowed war can never achieve peace, for war destroys peace in the process.

Those who have been on the receiving end of war; those that have lost friends, loved ones, even their own lives, will never know peace. War has already destroyed that peace for them.

(only showing part of your post)

Theory is often muddy, mainly because it's a dead end conversation. I don't believe the world works in such simple mechanisms as the "peace.war" absolutes. There is always a balance being sought and it's very hard to maintain any level of peace without violence to temper the edges.

As to the personal peace, I could never say that anyone is beyond redemption or peace. If losing loved ones destroys so badly, then we'd never have gotten very far.

Self-preservation is not some easy to overcome.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

“There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for.”

Instincts VS emotions

You are right that for some it is very hard to understand.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

"peace.war" absolutes.

But mine is not absolute, mine just reduces the number of deaths which is logical.

That being said, you are right, in the sense that it would be hard to accomplish such a change. But can't we bring change individually? Start with people surrounding you.

But then again what is Democracy for? We choose which direction to go, unless the elites (as some believe) have full control over everything, therefore no change is possible without them being in the equation.

Even if elites exists we have to assume their ideas are absolute, meaning they are not willing to change in any way. But that would be just an assumption to keep me going in typing this crap which I'm typing right now.

Where will it end up, I don't know... I need a cigarette.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join