It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we so harshly reject the idea of ET's existing, and visiting Earth?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I want some insight into why people can't handle the thought of intelligent extraterrestrial life existing, and visiting Earth...I notice it all the time...even when people see it, they still deny it...I have a friend who can't seem to handle the idea, yet he's seen a UFO in broad day light, which defied all explanation...he admits that, but still won't accept the ET presence...he just sort of ignores the fact that he saw it...in a recent thread, I read that a girl started crying when she witnessed a UFO, that couldn't have been anything from this Earth...I just can't understand why the thought of another intelligent race existing in our universe, and visiting Earth can invoke such emotions...it's beyond me...I can't see why it would be anything but fascinating...I just can't understand why some people think this way...why does it bring comfort to people, in knowing we are the top dogs of this universe...is it just fear of a race more powerful than our selves...or is it our fear of anyone different to our selves? I can see Alien contact, as nothing but ground breaking and of absolute importance...brilliant...a break through for society...that is of course assuming they aren't evil...maybe that's why we fear them?

Yes, the bulk of people will tell you they believe Aliens exist in our universe, based on simple logic and the sheer size of our universe...but when directly confronted with the truth...they freak out...and because we can't travel to far from Earth, the only way we can get that truth, is if ET's visit us...which is even more confronting...and people just can't handle being directly confronted with the truth about Aliens...they would rather shrug it off, like it never happened and live in ignorance...it's sad...

The cognitive system is calm and stable through avoiding any disturbing new truth.

[edit on 16/10/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
My personal opinion is that ETs exsist. However they are so far away and we are of such inconsequence that they would have no reason to visit us.

Polls suggest that most people believe that we are not alone in the universe.

So your premise that we harshly reject the notion I think is faulty. We don't harshly reject it, but at the same time I'd say that most people don't seriosuly consider contact at all.

For some of course the emotion comes from the grief of losing the idea that Earth, and humans and all the beliefs associated with our feeling of being "special" will evaporate when and if ET is discovered.

The truth probably is that we don't matter one iota. For some people that's a hard pill to swallow.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I do not fear them.

I remember when I was a kid and my family forced religion down my throat, back then when i feared "god" and "hell" and stuff.

Now that I can think freely and do my own research I became athiest and i wait in anticipation for the day they land. Be they friendly or not, i dont care, blow stuff up whatever, ill be glad to have witnessed that event.

*edited minor spelling mistake*

[edit on 16-10-2009 by qwiksilva]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

EDIT: Moved response into the original post, as it's seemed significant, and didn't want people to miss it.

reply to post by qwiksilva

Now that I can think freely and do my own research I became atheist and i wait in anticipation for the day they land. Be they friendly or not, i don't care, blow stuff up whatever, ill be glad to have witnessed that event.
I'm with you on that...just knowing for sure another intelligent race was out there would blow me away...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Death of the ego and/or giving up another belief system that has been followed for life with which one has identified too strongly.

Secondly the concept of mortality/immortalty.

Finally anyone on this board who has not experienced an ET and yet claims they will have no fear of such I would counsel you to think again. You have a mental concept only of ET and cannot accurately predict your emotional response - which will lkely be on some level akin to that of "mortal fear" intially, whether justified or not.

Thks

Bravo

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Bravo111]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
I want some insight into why people can't handle the thought of intelligent extraterrestrial life existing, and visiting Earth...I notice it all the time...even when people see it, they still deny it...

Because they are believers; their beliefs however, contrary to those who believe UFOs are extra-terrestrial, is that such a thing is not possible. And if it's not possible then of course it's preposterous to think otherwise.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think the majority of people do believe. It's just through TV and science-fiction the masses have been guided to believe that well... it's just fiction.

The problem with us humans is that we're not very trusting and need to see things to believe them. I believe aliens do exist but I don't have any real proof for that. My beliefs are simple, if we can exist on this planet, then life can exist on other planets.

Unfortunately, we the masses are trained to believe we are alone. Because of this mass-disclosure would cause so many problems with religion, the government and war. I don't think there'll be disclosure. Not in my lifetime anyway.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Because we are told what to believe, and what to fear from a very young age. These beliefs and fears are reinforced as we go through life by the MSM, politicians, parents, the religions, and those who hold the power. If you try to break free you are immediately labeled as an outsider by any and all of these influences and persecuted. This keeps everyone on track and on the treadmill.

After all, the MSM, the politicians, our parents, the religions, and those who hold the power would never, ever lie to us, right?

Nearly every 'alien' movie/TV show etc. features them attacking us/each other/other planets or having an evil agenda.
Try to name a handful that feature the aliens as nice... Not many.
Sure you could list some, and I/others could counter with a hundred nasty alien titles, but then it turns into 'name that movie' and that would be pointless.
The issue is that we all likely have a preconceived notion about what will happen if aliens visit/are disclosed. That notion is likely to have been influenced in some way by outside data rather than core personal idea.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Having the belief that other intelligent life exists in the universe and believing such life is actually visiting us are two very different things. Most people if you asked would say that life exists elsewhere in the universe due to the sheer scale of it.Not all would believe they are visiting our little pale blue dot.Due to lack of evidence of aliens and also the sheer size of the universe which may play in favor of aliens existing but not in favor of them ever finding this little planet on top of the extremely small time frame that humans have existed on it.

link   
You all make good points, and I'm now understanding why people could react the way they do...because it goes against everything they've been told throughout their whole life...we are told it's purely science fiction...and as an above poster says, they are usually portrayed as evil beings...interesting...it shows just how deep we are being brainwashed...how effective it actually is...no wonder we haven't pulled down the curtain yet...

link   
What I fear about a general acceptance without hard facts is that every 3rd person will be writing a book on what they are, who they are, etc...making the waters even muddier than they were before when the community was demanding proof.

Proof is required, else this is just another religion and that will turn off completely anyone truely seeking answers verses a replacement religion.

now, personally I believe in ET, and have a few pseudo-beliefs on them which can change on a dime if anything comes up to show differently.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I don't like them since they're secretive. When people hide things from you they're always up to no good. If they aren't planning something against you then there is no reason to hide in the first place.

It has nothing to do with being on the top of the food chain. It's all about protecting oneself from something that I have no knowledge on where their base operations is located.

Besides, I'm afraid of how they look. I honestly would not enjoy it when one of those shorties chase me around the house trying to eat my face.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Unregistered

lol...eat your face you say? As for the secretive thing...who says they are hiding anything...maybe they just don't think we are ready for them to reveal themselves...as we are obviously not...

EDIT: As a poster in another thread said...

we will throw rocks at them and grunt! just like we do to anything/ anyone thats different to us!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Yeah. Tell yourself that.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I believe that just about anything is possible. However for me to fully accept ETs are visiting I need to see some proof. UFOs don't necessarily mean alien technology, though it doesn't mean it's not either, which is why proof is required.

Anyway I don't reject the idea of ETs existing or visiting us, I just want to know for sure.
Disclosure would come in handy..

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Unregistered

To tell you the truth, I actually think we are an Alien science experiment (imagine society trying to deal with that!)...but that's another story...a quote from my "The aims of Aliens" thread...

They are of no threat, they are not like that, they realize that war, crime, anger, violence, arrogance and greed are just pathetic, useless, and unintelligent ways of going about things, they are past all of that, not to mention, they have been around long before us, and if they were angry or hostile in any way, we would have been gone a long time ago, it would be like stepping on an ant to them. We are most definitely of no threat to them, and they are of no threat to us.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am at a total loss to explain why that in the face of centuries of accounts by people from all walks of life, people still totally refuse to believe earth has been visited by aliens of some form or another.

People have been sent to prison for life on circumstantial evidence. Yet overpowering evidence of alien visitation, including testimony of our own astronauts brings nothing but total disbelief.

For my part it is not necessary for the landing on the White House lawn to occur. I have weighed the evidence and it is overwhelming.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
What I fear about a general acceptance without hard facts is that every 3rd person will be writing a book on what they are, who they are, etc...making the waters even muddier than they were before when the community was demanding proof.

Yes, I agree...I'm not saying we should declare their existence as real without any hard evidence...although, personally, I think there is enough evidence to win 100 court cases...I'm just puzzled over why people seem to react the way they do...

reply to post by expat2368

I am at a total loss to explain why that in the face of centuries of accounts by people from all walks of life, people still totally refuse to believe earth has been visited by aliens of some form or another.

People have been sent to prison for life on circumstantial evidence. Yet overpowering evidence of alien visitation, including testimony of our own astronauts brings nothing but total disbelief.

For my part it is not necessary for the landing on the White House lawn to occur. I have weighed the evidence and it is overwhelming.
EXACTLY!!! I couldn't have put it better my self...it is absolutely mind-boggling isn't it?!?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think aliens exist. I think there is some kind of life in our solar system that isnt from Earth. and I dont know why alot of people think some "illuminati" is plotting to take over, but thety cant possibly be behind UFO's. its like saying you believe in the Reindeer and Rudolph but not Santa. man up

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

It should have been obvious to me...just take a look at my thread titled "Can you see the matrix?"...pretty much a similar subject...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join