It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RFID...Pros, Cons and Questions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
With all the hype around these RFID (radio frequency identification)chips. I have a couple of questions/concerns. I will not get chipped purely due to paranoia and privacy, (..and screw authority attitude) but naturally, I have to question if I/we are being paranoid...with every leaning moment, I'm leaning more towards NO!

With this thread I would like for all who have questios to post them, in hopes that we all know what we might be getting into, as I'm sure alot of us will be swayed by the loving ads, media stunts and genius marketing. (Although, 9/10 people say they will refuse) for now anyway...

The following has been stated regarding RFID chips. I will state my questions in brackets.

*RFID chips can only be read at short range. Maximum range 30ft-or so they say.
(Is posible for the powers that be to upgrade these chips and increase the range without the user knowing?)

*"A scanner operating at the right wavelength can read an RFID chip. That means that any hobbyist can just buy an RFID reader and use it to keep tabs on the chip-implanted people that happen to walk by."
(If it is so easy to access, Is it then possible for your RFID chip to get a virus?)

!!! I also wonder if these RFID chips can be used to trigger /temporarily controll neurotransmittors in the brain, causing a person to commit crime, or other actions that they normally would not do. I know it's a stretch, but just wondering... !!!

ON THE UP SIDE-
------------------------------
You could block your RFID chip from being scanned on detected by covering it with a METAL PLATE or something called Mylar fabric. www.mobilecloak.com...
-This also works on all wireless devices and stops people from hacking into your frequency)

If there is something sinister behind the RFID scene, the punishment laid upon these persons (by government) who refuse the RFID implant, will bring light upon the motives of those who enforce them.

May the truth come out sooner rather than later.

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
No one? Seriously?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
With all the hype around these RFID (radio frequency identification)chips. I have a couple of questions/concerns. I will not get chipped purely due to paranoia and privacy, (..and screw authority attitude) but naturally, I have to question if I/we are being paranoid...with every leaning moment, I'm leaning more towards NO!

With this thread I would like for all who have questios to post them, in hopes that we all know what we might be getting into, as I'm sure alot of us will be swayed by the loving ads, media stunts and genius marketing. (Although, 9/10 people say they will refuse) for now anyway...

The following has been stated regarding RFID chips. I will state my questions in brackets.

*RFID chips can only be read at short range. Maximum range 30ft-or so they say.
(Is posible for the powers that be to upgrade these chips and increase the range without the user knowing?)

*"A scanner operating at the right wavelength can read an RFID chip. That means that any hobbyist can just buy an RFID reader and use it to keep tabs on the chip-implanted people that happen to walk by."
(If it is so easy to access, Is it then possible for your RFID chip to get a virus?)

!!! I also wonder if these RFID chips can be used to trigger /temporarily controll neurotransmittors in the brain, causing a person to commit crime, or other actions that they normally would not do. I know it's a stretch, but just wondering... !!!

ON THE UP SIDE-
------------------------------
You could block your RFID chip from being scanned on detected by covering it with a METAL PLATE or something called Mylar fabric. www.mobilecloak.com...
-This also works on all wireless devices and stops people from hacking into your frequency)

If there is something sinister behind the RFID scene, the punishment laid upon these persons (by government) who refuse the RFID implant, will bring light upon the motives of those who enforce them.

May the truth come out sooner rather than later.

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

I think you have some very good questions...I'll try to address them.

First, though, I'm not an expert in the technology being used in RFID...at least the RF part, but I do know a little...I'm (among other things) a retired Electronics Engineer and Software Engineer.

These chips are transponders...in that they are activated by an EM field, probably at a specific frequency. The reason that they only work at short range is that the field generator must produce a high enough field density to make them respond. IF a more powerful transmitter were used, the should work at a greater range, however, there would still be limits to the range they can achieve.

I am presuming that there IS some sort of software running on these chips, and while that may not be changable, the data contained on the chip IS. It is conceivably possible for someone to hack a chip and change the data contained on it, or copy that data.

Your last question is a bit more of a stretch...at this point I would like to think no, but it really depends on the design of the system. I would doubt that whatever nafarious plot TPTB have, I can't see for them going quite this far.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AnthraAndromda

Thank you for your reply.

Is it not then possible for the software to be upgraded without your knowledge, just as for examlple, when I leave my internet connection running it starts to update itself and installing the latest of programs/upgrades available on the net. If I don't keep an eye on it, it eats almost a third of my cap each month.

I would think the same could apply with these chips. Although the hardware could not be upgraded without it being taken out of your body, the software could be upgraded at any time via the wireless technology.

top topics

join