It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is Nothing unusual about the Recent Earthquakes...here's why

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
NWO Paranoia can cause anyone to believe that anything that happens has something to do with the beginnings of a takeover.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Strange indeed, but then again that's what the OP is known for.

I would say the OP is known for being the fragile earth subject matter expert, a title he earned through reason and dedication in this area.

He is actually mostly respected, not known for what you claim just because you disagree with his orthodoxy.
I would trust his opinion, over the hysterionics of doom-sayer ATSers anyday

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Well, sorry to rain in your parade, but real scientists differ from his claims.

Cosmic Influence on the Sun-Earth Environment
Saumitra Mukherjee
Geology and Remote Sensing, School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University,
New Delhi-110067, India; E-mail: [email protected]; Tel. +91-11-26704312;
Fax +91-11-26704312
Received: 19 May 2008; in revised form: 2 June 2008 / Accepted: 29 November 2008 /
Published: 3 December 2008

Abstract: SOHO satellite data reveals geophysical changes before sudden changes in the Earth's Sun-Earth environment. The influence of extragalactic changes on the Sun as well as the Sun-Earth environment seems to be both periodic and episodic. The periodic changes in terms of solar maxima and minima occur every 11 years, whereas the episodic changes can happen at any time. Episodic changes can be monitored by cosmic ray detectors as a sudden increase or decrease of activity. During these solar and cosmic anomaly periods the environment of the Earth is affected. The Star-Sun-Earth connection has the potential to influence the thermosphere, atmosphere, ionosphere and lithosphere.
Initial correlation of the cosmic and Sun-Earth connection has shown the possibility of predicting earthquakes, sudden changes in atmospheric temperatures and erratic rainfall/snowfall patterns.

www.mdpi.com...

BTW, who is it exactly that give these expert titles? Is it a group of experts in the field?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
I would trust his opinion, over the hysterionics of doom-sayer ATSers anyday

If you would google on this, you would see the holes in his theory (regarding this thread) and not have to trust what a single person says.

The op may have made other great threads, but this one is not one of them and I believe its more of a emotional response of his from being tired of the 2012 discussion.

What this thread does: explains why earth quakes are more common in the ring of fire and not somewhere else.

What this thread doesnt: explain all the factors that causes earth quakes in the ring of fire.

So the claim that there is nothing unusual about the earth quakes doesnt have anything to back it up.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Sorry to rain on your parade but what about the Solar storm of 1859?
The largest geomagnetic storm recorded.

Coupled with a list of notable earthquakes throughout history:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

1865 10 08 - Santa Cruz Mountains, California - M 6.5
1865 08 17 - Memphis, Tennessee - M 5.0
1857 12 16 - Naples, Italy - M 6.9 Fatalities 11,000
1857 01 09 - Fort Tejon, California - M 7.9 Fatalities 1

No notable earthquakes in 1859 despite the largest recorded solar storm?

[edit on 18/10/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I am not disagreeing or agreening with you regarding solar activity. I am infact very interested in the influence it has on our planet right through to this earthquake level, and it would make for a better thread if stuck to these facts rather than swiping at the OP.
When I read the OPs threads you come across with personal niggling rather than just debating the evidence.
Point in case 2 :

but real scientists differ from his claims

Thats passive agressive, and I whilst I enjoy reading posts regarding solar activity, posts without pesonal implactions against the OP would make reading threads in this forum more enjoyable.
Please lets just stick to debating facts and not the OPs qualifications. If you have an issue with his appointment as a FSME take it up with ATS MGT.
Zazz.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Sorry to rain on your parade but what about the Solar storm of 1859?
The largest geomagnetic storm recorded.

Coupled with a list of notable earthquakes throughout history:

First of all, do note that the Sun's activity is not the only precursor of earthquakes, second of all back then the magnetic field of the Earth was much stronger than it is now.

Third of all there have been stronger solar storms but which were not directed towards Earth, that was the strongest one which has hit Earth at the time, as far as we know.

Fourth of all, note that I AM NOT THE ONE CLAIMING THIS...scientists are.... But thank you very much for not reading the links I gave.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

And furthermore, the solar minimum we've been seeing in the past 9+ years is going in the opposite direction to the amount of earthquakes seen recently.

To See this better a couple of graphs:

Worldwide Deadly & Destructive Earthquakes between Magnitudes 6 and 8

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a78caf1234e3.png[/atsimg]

Solar Cycle Sunspot Number progression

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4b6bfba23863.gif[/atsimg]

Now, as for cosmic rays causing earthquakes, I will concede I don't know enough about that area but do understand that there is a possibility that whilst the sun is at it's minimum, more cosmic rays are let in.

I also did read your links but it's hard to glean much information from abstracts and brief outlines.

[edit on 18/10/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Thats passive agressive, and I whilst I enjoy reading posts regarding solar activity, posts without pesonal implactions against the OP would make reading threads in this forum more enjoyable.
Please lets just stick to debating facts and not the OPs qualifications. If you have an issue with his appointment as a FSME take it up with ATS MGT.
Zazz.

Ah, so now you are playing the victim?...

My first response said it clearly it was a good post, but that he is forgetting several facts. Second of all, you were the one to bring up his title, as if that means he must be infallible in this topic.

Third of all, even the OP, alongside some other members went ahead and attacked those of us who have presented proof that the Sun's activity, as well as the magnetic field of the Earth and other fluctuations in the activity even from extra-solar objects all affect the climate of Earth, as well as the seismic, and magmatic activity of the Earth.

We are at a time when the magnetic field of the Earth is weaker than it has been for thousands of years, and there have been several breaches in the magnetic field, which allows more cosmic rays, and other charged particles to enter the Earth's atmosphere which in turn affects the weather/climate, and the seismic, and magmatic activites of Earth.

That is without mentioning the fact that the cosmic radiation which is entering the Solar System is 19% higher than anything we have seen in the past 50 years of space exploration, and this not only affects space exploration, but also Earth.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

And furthermore, the solar minimum we've been seeing in the past 9+ years is going in the opposite direction to the amount of earthquakes seen recently.

First of all, and again the Earth's magnetic field has also been weakening slowly but surely since about 1840, and it is now weaker than it has been for thousands of years.

Second of all those sources i gave explain that there are several factors from outside the Earth that affect it's weather/climate, as well as seismic, and magmatic activities.

Third of all, we have also been finding out that the Earth has had breaches in it's magnetic field, which means it would be affected more during these times.

BTW, I did not say anywhere that only Solar activity can cause earthquakes, if i did please point it to me.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
With all due respect to the OP, in 2009 our top geologists and science still do not have the knowledge to predict the next quake, in any area. They have some knowledge, but have never been able to predict the unpredictable, because the answers are not there yet. Science still doesn't understand fully all of what may set off a quake, or why some are more severe than others, why they go off when and where they do, so many unanswered questions leaves the science of quakes, a mystery. We do however know things that can cause the quakes to increase, or become more severe, such as rising waters. I was told once by a seasoned seismologist that I had as much of a chance at predicting the next 'big one' as he did, because not enough is known about them to allow even a 1 minute warning system.

I have been watching the seismic monitors for well over 2 years now, and the quakes are pretty regular in the same places over and over, but the recent spikes in larger quakes was unusual to what I am used to seeing. I have no idea why, but neither does my seismologist friend.

My point is that we can really not state that things are 'normal' or 'abnormal' when it comes to quake activity.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
BTW, I did not say anywhere that only Solar activity can cause earthquakes, if i did please point it to me.

Just last page:

It is good information, but you are forgetting the fact that it has been found out that fluctuations in the magnetic field of the Earth, as well as fluctuations in the activity of the Sun are known to have caused earthquakes, such as the boxing day tsunamy which was caused by an earthquake in 2004.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now the problem with scientists claiming that solar activity or cosmic activity causes earthquakes is that we also get hacks and charlatans crowing on about it too.

Example:

geology.about.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
My point is that we can really not state that things are 'normal' or 'abnormal' when it comes to quake activity.

Well how about "BIG" quakes??

So if we start by defining "BIG" as anything 8.0+ (ignoring every thing else including all 7.8 and 7.9), we normally have averaged ONE 8.0+ EQ PER YEAR. This is overall an average, some years there are none, and some there are more than 1.
USGS Data set showing all 8.0+ EQ's since 1973

For the 20 year period from 1973 to 1993 there were 9 EQ's worldwide which were over 8.0. This averages to just under 1 EVERY OTHER year. In that time period there were years that got zero, and there were a couple years where we got 2 of them (1977 & 1986).

For the next 10 years proceeding this time period, 1994-2003 there were also 9 EQ's worldwide which were over 8.0. For this decade in time our average increases to just under 1 EVERY year. That's a bit of a jump from one every OTHER year, for the 2 decades prior to this one. Again, during this decade there were years that got zero, and there were a couple years where we got 2 of them (1994 & 1995).

Now finally onto the the data since the beginning of 2004. For the last (almost) 6 years, there have been 10 EQ's worldwide which have been 8.0+. That's an increased average of 1.6 or so per year for the last 6. Now, even if we didn't see a single EQ 8.0 or greater until after 2013 (which is highly improbable) Our current average for this decade of time would be just about what it was during the preceding one. However if they keep coming at the pace they have been, we will be well above the average of 1 per year for this 10 year period.

Another couple of things which have occurred during our current 10 year time period, is that the strongest EQ to occur out of all the data since 1973, was in 2004 and it registered a magnitude of 9.0. ALSO, the single year which there were the most 8.0+ EQ's worldwide, out of all the data since 1973 was in 2007; there were 4 EQ's 8.0+ that year.

By our own observations of the data, it is safe to say that 2007 was not a "normal" year. If we are to have another year like 2007 with 4+ large EQ's I think it would indicate something is not "normal". We will have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of years to get the full picture for our current 10 year time period.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Paroxysm]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Anyway, below are some of my threads which could be the reason for what we have seen happening which affect the weather/climate and some of them could also affect seismic, and magmatic activity on Earth. Yes, we are at an unusual time, and the NWO has nothing to do with this...

On the relation between solar activity and seismicity
Gousheva, M.N.; Georgieva, K.Y.; Kirov, B.B.; Antanasov, D.
Recent Advances in Space Technologies, 2003. RAST apos;03. International Conference on. Proceedings of
Volume , Issue , 20-22 Nov. 2003 Page(s): 236 - 240
Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/RAST.2003.1303913

Summary: Much attention is recently paid to the role of extraterrestrial factors in terrestrial seismicity, and to the possibility to assess the seismic risk. Seven centuries of records of ancient earthquakes in the Mediterranean region show that the century-scale variations in the number of strong earthquakes closely follow the secular cycle of solar activity. Two well expressed maxima in the global yearly number of earthquakes are seen in the 11-year sunspot cycle - one coinciding with sunspot maximum, and the other on the descending phase of solar activity. A day to day study of the number of earthquakes worldwide reveals that the arrival to the Earth of high speed solar streams is related to significantly greater probability of earthquake occurrence. The possible mechanism includes deposition of solar wind energy into the polar ionosphere where it drives ionospheric convection and auroral electrojets, generating in turn atmospheric gravity waves that interact with neutral winds and deposit their momentum in the neutral atmosphere, increasing the transfer of air masses and disturbing of the pressure balance on tectonic plates. The main sources of high speed solar streams are the solar coronal mass ejections (CMEs) which have a maximum in the sunspot maximum, and the coronal holes with a maximum on the descending phase of solar activity. Both coronal holes and CMEs are monitored by satellite-borne and ground-based instruments, which makes it possible to predict periods of enhanced seismic risk. The geoeffectiveness of solar wind from a coronal hole only depends on the position of the hole relative to the Earth, and for the CMEs an additional factor is their speed. It has been recently found that a useful tool in identifying the population of geoeffective CMEs is the detection of long-wavelength (decameter-hectometer) type II solar radio bursts, as the CMEs associated with them are much faster and wider than average.

Link

doi:10.1016/S0273-1177(03)00475-7

Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 8, 00881, 2006
SRef-ID: 1607-7962/gra/EGU06-A-00881
© European Geosciences Union 2006
Anomaly in Kp, Eflux and atmospheric temperature
before the earthquake of Sumatra on 26th December
S.Mukherjee (1), M. Weiyu (2)
(1)School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi-110067, India,
[email protected], (2)Zhejiang University, Zhejiang, 321000, China,
[email protected]

When the Kp (planetary indices) and E-flux (electron flux) changes suddenly it affects the environment of the earth. These phenomena changes the thermosphere and lithosphere locally as well as globally. The response of the magnetosphere to interplanetary shocks or pressure pulses can result in sudden injections of energetic particles into the inner magnetosphere. It has been recorded that 36 hours before the occurrence of earthquake Kp values and E-flux increases drastically. After this increase sudden fall in Kp and E-fflux has been noticed before the earthquake and tsunami. The phenomenon was recorded before the Sumatra earthquake on 26th December 2004. Abnormal temperature increase in the earthquake and tsunami effected area of Sumatra (N15ž- S5ž, E80ž-E130ž) was also noticed. The NCEP temperature images were used for the period from 13th December 2004 to 26th December 2004. It has been observed that the temperature rise takes place from 14-22 December. Rise in Efflux and Kp value has been recorded from SOHO satellite data during 22nd December from 09-12 UT. After this sudden rise there was a continuous fall in Efflux and Kp till 26th December 00.00 hrs UT. The abnormal phenomenon of increase in temperature (more than 5žC ) in the Sumatra area and sudden drop before the earthquake (as recorded by NCEP) gives an early warning of earthquake in this area. Similar phenomenon was observed before Ms.7.6 Gujarat India, January 26, 2001,Ms.7.0 Iran December 26,2003, Ms.8.0 Hokkaido, September 26,2003, Ms 7.0 Japan October 23,2004, Ms d.2 Dayao, China July 21,2003, Ms 6.1 Dayao, China October 16, 2003, Ms 6.7 Tibet, China July 12,2004, and Iran February 23 2005 etc. All these case studies strongly support the changes of abnormal increasing temperature, Efflux, Kp and sudden fall before the seismic activity which has produced the killer tsunami and earthquake on the boxing day of 2004. It is possible to correlate the influence of Starburst on the development of the sunspots and further the sun-earth environment.

www.cosis.net...

BTW, to that member claiming that the Sun's activity has been low because it was in a Solar minima, that is not true. There are certain activities in the Sun, such as major magnetic storms that were increasing since the 1900s until about 4 years ago. Then the Sun's overall activity began to slow down to a crawl, including the Sun's conveyor belt, which had nothing to do with the Solar Minima it was in, and it has continued to be in that state until now. Since such decrease in solar activity there has been an increase in charged particles, and in general cosmic rays, as well as interstellar dust, plasma, etc which has been able to enter the Solar System, and all of which affect the dynamics of the Solar System, as well as affecting the weather/climate, and magmatic, and seismic activity of Earth.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I hadnt read these threads before so thanks for posting them. Absolutely interesting stuff, specially this:

So not only are satellites being affected by this "something", but comets are also affected, and now an unexpected secular increase in the astronomical unit, or the distance between the planets and the Sun has been found to have increased.

Something is coming.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Just last page:

Notice that I mentioned something else, and then continued explaining what else can affect the weather/climate, and the seismic, and magmatic activity of the Earth, and there are other factors which I left out....

Now the problem with scientists claiming that solar activity or cosmic activity causes earthquakes is that we also get hacks and charlatans crowing on about it too.

Just because some people have taken advantage of other people and made claims they could not prove, it doesn't mean that those topics they claim they have any knowledge on are false.

There are many "hacks" who pass as doctors, does that mean that all doctors are wrong?....

There are also scientists, and even supposedly knowledgeable people who use their titles to claim nothing else but what they claim can occur, and this is not true.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Just to add one more peer reviewed research paper.

Information - SM11 Sun-earth connection triggers Earthquakes

It has been observed that before the occurrence of an earthquake anomalous change in various environmental parameters of the Earth. These parameters include thermosphere, ionosphere, atmosphere and lithosphere in space and time.

Correlation of changes in sunspots, star spots with the heliophysical , sun-earth environment and other cosmic activities and its influence on the earth are being studied since several years. It has been observed that some geo-physical parameter eg., Kp (planetary indices) and E-flux (electron flux) changes after the coronal mass ejection from the outer periphery of the sunspots. When the Kp (planetary indices) and E-flux (electron flux) changes suddenly it affects the environment of the earth.

This phenomenon changes the thermosphere ionosphere atmosphere and lithosphere locally as well as globally. The response of the magnetosphere to interplanetary shocks or pressure pulses can result in sudden injections of energetic particles into the inner magnetosphere. It has been recorded that 36 hours before the occurrence of earthquake Kp values and E-flux increases drastically.

After this increase sudden fall in Kp and E-fflux has been noticed before the earthquake and tsunami. The phenomenon was recorded before the Pakistan earthquake of 8th October 2005, Iran earthquake of 23rd February 2005,Sumatra earthquake on 26th December 2004 and Gujarat earthquake of 26th January 2001. Similar observations were recorded in other parts of the world. Deleneation of active faults by seismic microzonation coupled with sunspot activity studies has the proven potential for the triggering of an earthquake in space and time.

www.cosis.net...

And another interesting article that show we are at a time that is unusual.

Discovered: Cosmic Rays from a Mysterious, Nearby Object

Nov. 19, 2008: An international team of researchers has discovered a puzzling surplus of high-energy electrons bombarding Earth from space. The source of these cosmic rays is unknown, but it must be close to the solar system and it could be made of dark matter. Their results are being reported in the Nov. 20th issue of the journal Nature.

"This is a big discovery," says co-author John Wefel of Louisiana State University. "It's the first time we've seen a discrete source of accelerated cosmic rays standing out from the general galactic background."

Right: An artist's concept of cosmic rays hitting Earth's upper atmosphere. Credit: Simon Swordy, University of Chicago. [Larger image]

Galactic cosmic rays are subatomic particles accelerated to almost light speed by distant supernova explosions and other violent events. They swarm through the Milky Way, forming a haze of high energy particles that enter the solar system from all directions. Cosmic rays consist mostly of protons and heavier atomic nuclei with a dash of electrons and photons spicing the mix.

science.nasa.gov...

Cosmic-ray ‘hot spots’ point to mystery source

NEW YORK—Physicists have observed for the first time two distinct “hot spots” that appear to be showering Earth with an excess of cosmic rays. The discovery calls into question nearly a century of understanding about galactic magnetic fields near our solar system, and suggests the possibility that an unknown source or magnetic effect could be responsible.

For nearly seven years scientists from more than a dozen institutions, including New York University, used the Milagro Gamma Ray Observatory to peer into the sky above the northern hemisphere. The observatory, located at Los Alamos National Lab in New Mexico, is unique in that it allows around-the-clock monitoring of the entire sky above the northern hemisphere. Because of its design and field of view, Milagro was able to record more than 200 billion cosmic-ray collisions with the Earth’s atmosphere.

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles that move through our galaxy from distant sources. Cosmic rays’ origins are unknown, but scientists have theorized they might originate from supernovae, from quasars, or from less-understood or yet-to-be-discovered sources within the universe. However, because cosmic rays are charged particles, magnetic fields from the Milky Way and our solar system change the flight paths of the particles so much that researchers had not been able to pinpoint their exact origin. Consequently, traditional wisdom has held that no localized area of excess of cosmic rays should appear in the sky.

futurity.org...

Cosmic Rays Hit Space Age High

September 29, 2009: Planning a trip to Mars? Take plenty of shielding. According to sensors on NASA's ACE (Advanced Composition Explorer) spacecraft, galactic cosmic rays have just hit a Space Age high.

"In 2009, cosmic ray intensities have increased 19% beyond anything we've seen in the past 50 years," says Richard Mewaldt of Caltech. "The increase is significant, and it could mean we need to re-think how much radiation shielding astronauts take with them on deep-space missions."

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Discovered: Cosmic Rays from a Mysterious, Nearby Object

Nov. 19, 2008: An international team of researchers has discovered a puzzling surplus of high-energy electrons bombarding Earth from space. The source of these cosmic rays is unknown, but it must be close to the solar system and it could be made of dark matter.

It seems to me that our solar system could be moving into an area of space where these kind of electrons is common, so the particles appears to be "entering the solar system" because we are traveling into a cloud of them.

Just guessing though.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Just stating that the theory you have presented has been diluted by these hacks.

Anyway, as I said I don't fully understand the cosmic rays side of things, so I thank you for the links.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by LegitPiMPz
NWO Paranoia can cause anyone to believe that anything that happens has something to do with the beginnings of a takeover.

They know they can make the masses believe anything, even that building 7 collapsed on cue, and that shankssville was an airliner not a drone..and that the Kennedys were killed by a lone gunman... no conspiracies there... really! trust U.S.!

[edit on 18-10-2009 by seataka]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join