It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Museum asks YOU to name the greatest development of all time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

The Centenary Journey objects as they appear in the Science Museum are:
● Thompson's Atmospheric Engine
● V2 rocket engine
● Cooke & Wheatstone's five-needle telegraph
● Stephenson's Rocket
● Reynolds' X-ray set
● Model T Ford motor car
● Penicillin
● Pilot ACE (Automatic Computing Engine)
● Crick & Watson's DNA model
● Apollo 10 command module

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Science Museum

I was a little surprised that Johannes Gutenbergs Printing Press wasn't among the nominees.

So who would your vote go to?
Are there any other omissions you can think of?

My vote would go to either Penicillin or DNA Double Helix, but its so hard to choose.

Make sure you check out the Science Museum link for more information.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I"ll go for Alphabet. Without that

The Centenary Journey objects as they appear in the Science Museum are:
Thompson's Atmospheric Engine
V2 rocket engine
Cooke & Wheatstone's five-needle telegraph
Stephenson's Rocket
Reynolds' X-ray set
Model T Ford motor car
Penicillin
Pilot ACE (Automatic Computing Engine)
Crick & Watson's DNA model
Apollo 10 command module

could not have been written, not to mention invented.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
easy ---> Penicillin

Its saved millions and millions of lives since it was developed in 1928.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Bets on the winner being the iphone or some other shiny plastic gadget.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I might get flamed but I think the internet should be on that list as well! I feel that with the way technology is going with the hardware, software, wifi apps etc the internet is going to be the vital component that encapsulates our lives! Not to mention the glorious access to all types of information, instant communication at ease anywhere in the world, basically sharing with each other on a daily basis. I believe the internet has empowered us although I don't feel we have yet harnessed a fraction of its full potential. I also believe it is raising the consciousness of the people of this planet due to the fact that at this present time the amount of information both consciously and subconsciously being ingested by people as a collective is exponentially higher than at any point in our entire history on this planet. This constant uploading of information to our brains results in making us consciously aware of vast amounts of information thus raising the consciousness of the planet as a whole!

Disclaimer: In my opinion!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The UFO (the undisclosed UAV), iPhone and the cure for cancer [yes, it already exists - just don't ask the big pharma *&&*^% for it!].

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
They did this same poll a few years back and Gutenberg and the printing press won then.

Without print and the spread of literacy and the subsequent spread of ideas none of what we experience today would have happened.

I wrote a paper for college on the subject of the cultural impact of printing.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by grover]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Olduwan stone tools?

Without them the human race never would have even developed, let alone the aforementioned inventions.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think the computer has to be on that list. It has helped so many people with things like the internet.

Life for plenty of us would be boring without it.

Of course there is negative side to it also, but it also helps so many people.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This cannot be answered since we have and probably never will see the greatest inventions/developments ever.

I mean the ones that have been locked away from prying eyes. The ones that could really help the human race but would not reap any profits to TPTB.

What A-holes.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by DazE777]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Life for plenty of us would be boring without it.

I have heard people say the same thing about cable or cell phones and no it wouldn't be boring because you wouldn't know what you are missing...

hell I know people who work with computers every day and refuse to have one in their house.

I gave up my cable and don't miss it one bit.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by grover]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
None of the above. Its a tie between the development of agriculture and writing in ancient times. Without those, none of the rest of that crap ever would have existed.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
None of the above. Its a tie between the development of agriculture and writing in ancient times. Without those, none of the rest of that crap ever would have existed.

I think you need to read more carefully about "the above". Without the stone tools, agriculture would never have happened.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Gunpowder without a doubt. It alone is most responsible for advances in industrialisation, medicine etc. Maybe it's not on the list because it wasn't a specific product but a process.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I don't necessarily believe that the very first breakthrough is best. Its very easy to say 'well without *this* the rest would never have happened' but as far as impact goes, sometimes they don't measure up.

Anyways, i think they are focusing on the more recent breakthroughs that we can accurately look at in detail.

Things the museum actually has exhibits for

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

And without agriculture drawing people out of their nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle, those stone tools were probably as far as they'd have ever gotten. Agriculture was the catalyst that allowed civilization to form.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Civilizations were around before agriculture... For thousands of years, mind you.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Reese's peanut butter cups obviously. I mean think of it........chocolate........peanut butter...........hey let's try putting them together!

Brilliant.

Hmmm - honorable mention to Coffee and Bailey's.

Oh but if I have to pick one from that list, then the DNA model. It made the largest contribution of any of those towards our understanding of ourselves.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by total_slacker]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'm going to have to go with Penicillin and Watson & Cricks DNA model as one and two respectively. These both affect the human body & it's understanding of genetics. All the rest are technological advances that really mean nothing without healthy human populations to enjoy them. Sure, they are all great in their own way, but we will live long and prosper without any of the others. Penicillin & the understanding of DNA prolongs the life expectancy, thus more opportunity for joy in life.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
My favorite isn't on the list but i must say that we wouldn't even be having it without the invention of the TRANSISTOR

hands down the most important piece of technology ever invented

[edit on 16-10-2009 by constantwonder]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join