It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Too Late : Only 10-years before open sea in the Arctic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This has to be a terrible warning - Two explorers Pen Hadow and Ann Daniels swim trough thin ice, they say only 10 more years and it will be easy in summer because there will be no ice at all.

Further in the article they say.....
"This could lead to flooding affecting one-quarter of the world's population, substantial increases in greenhouse gas emissions from massive carbon pools and extreme global weather changes."
Funny how nobody appears bothered, oh well guess when the sea is lapping round there ankles as it is on some islands right now they will cry out to the government what is to be done.

Arctic trek confirms very thin sea ice Summers could be ice free in a decade, explorers' findings indicate The North Pole will turn into an open sea during summer within a decade, according to data released Wednesday by a team of explorers who trekked through the Arctic for three months.

See the article
Arctic trek confirms

Then there is the video
Direct youtube link www.youtube.com...

Edit - Sorry guys edit typo in title thanks Chadwickus

[edit on 16-10-2009 by majestictwo]

[edit on 16-10-2009 by majestictwo]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wasn't the arctic already supposed to be "ice-free by year 2008"?
North Pole could be ice free in 2008

[edit on 2009-10-16 by Shirakawa]
Corrected "arctic".

[edit on 2009-10-16 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Can you please post evidence of rising waters in any location? Can you post any weather data that states that in the past 10 years global temperatures are on the rise? Can you please post any evidence?

Or are we just to assume that what Gore's Inconvenient Truth is the truth and scientific data is a lie?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Antartica will still be covered in ICE in 10 years time

The north pole's artic circle is supposedly going to be an iceless ocean throughout the summer in 10 years time if you want to believe the hype

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Guy's just so you know because there seems to be a bit of confusion.

Antarctic = South Pole
Arctic = North Pole.

Huge difference because the Arctic is all ice whereas the Antarctic is a land mass covered in ice.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Nice response. Rising water will come from melting permafrost. Along with the rising water causing flooded areas we need to be concerned about the effect of all that extra water on subduction zones, the pressure can cause catastrophic earthquakes. Al Gore might be making money off global warming but the facts show it IS happening.

edit to add: There was a news story just Thursday though about the North Pole melting. See link: news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 16-10-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Meh, this happens every few thousand years, nothing unusual, people always were influenced by stuff like this, whether by dying or evolving.
No big deal.
No reason to use that as agenda to manipulate our behavior or make us buy aphrodisiac youghurt

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Can you please post evidence of rising waters in any location? Can you post any weather data that states that in the past 10 years global temperatures are on the rise? Can you please post any evidence?

Or are we just to assume that what Gore's Inconvenient Truth is the truth and scientific data is a lie?

Actually, overall the average global temperature has become cooler over the last 2 years.

Ive thought for a long time that the earth goes through natural, long term cooling and warming periods. I also believe that the La Nina and El Nino weather patterns, are also partly to blame.

Gore's scientific data isnt a lie, its just not representative of the long term historical meteorological data. In actual fact, we just do not have that kind of historical data, to prove the global warmng theory, or, to disprove it. The only reliable way to do it, is to compile all proffesional observational data, which is real time observations.

But like I said we just dont have enough of it to confirm or deny global warming or climate change

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Guy's just so you know because there seems to be a bit of confusion.

Antarctic = South Pole
Arctic = North Pole.

Huge difference because the Arctic is all ice whereas the Antarctic is a land mass covered in ice.

Thats right

If the ice over the Antarctic meltged, we might find some nice fertile soil

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thanks OZ, appreciate the info. I loved what a comedian came up with the other day. Gore, I have had a hard time believing a prophet about climate problems making such a huge profit on his prophecies.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Thanks Chadwickus I have edited the typo in the title - there's no up or down in space

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
melting permafrost

Just to be clear, it would not be called permafrost if it melted, and just because it's permafrost does not mean that it is ice. melting permafrost is an oxymoron. The one constant is ice melts in the summer and grows in the winter. The rest of the information is superficial. My suggestion for people who are worried about carbon footprints is they should start by erasing their own.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

Cool mate, I came into the thread thinking huh, how did they swim through the antarctic??

Anyway, here's an interesting vid tracing the Arctic ice from 1979 through to 2007:

And another:

[edit on 16/10/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

The majority of this is nonsense.

Ridiculous sensationalized alarmism that pushes a political agenda of globalized cooperation, trade of a new product (carbon credits & taxes) and the conversion of developed countries to green energies because of a coming shortage of resources in order to push profit, environmentalism and globalization.

There are no rising temperatures.. Even the BBC have recently done a show on this.
There are no rising sea levels..we should be under water now if the models were correct.
The Ice is shifting from the North to the South because of an orbital wobble.
The Climate has been changing for billions of years.

We need to stop polluting and we are (In the EU anyway).. but don't fall for the fearmongering.

[edit on 16/10/09 by Dermo]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Exactly who produced this "video"? Give me about 20 minutes and with my CS4 I can produce a video that shows the earth is covered in ice.

That is not a video, it is a computer simulation. WOW.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

Meh, this happens every few thousand years, nothing unusual, people always were influenced by stuff like this, whether by dying or evolving. No big deal. No reason to use that as agenda to manipulate our behavior or make us buy aphrodisiac youghurt

I don't think it fair to say no big deal even if planetary condition change naturally every few thousand years. It's like saying don't worry about an ice age. Sure I know you don't have to worry about that. Current conditions however we should be concerned about, we should continue trying to understand what is going to happen. If conditions deteriorate in the long term we need to be ready to change lifestyles.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
the title is misleading, you want to be talking about the North pole (arctic)

Arctic Sea Ice Re-Freezing at Record Pace

How to Lose 193,000 miles of Ice

now what, it's the same every year OMGG It meltZ!!! how's that possible? shouldn't it be gone by now if it's constantly melting. no of course not. just keeps 'em in the news, on the front page, because that's where the money is at.

take a look at the similarities at the great barrier reef:

Damaged Barrier Reef coral makes 'spectacular' recovery

have you any heard of that? now, while the net trend might still be worrying, blatant omission of contradicting developments simply shatters one's credibility.

much like the polar bear extinction PR stunt, which is of course hard to arrive at by normal reasoning.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i'm starting to see a pattern, just don't look too closely (or at all for that matter) just blindly believe. hardly convincing, is it?

PS: even typos should be rewarded, wrt. antarctic ice sheets:

As Climate Shifts, Antarctic Ice Sheet Is Growing

some more:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

The information is derived from weather satellites.

nsidc.org...

svs.gsfc.nasa.gov...

As I stated above, they are interesting. Nothing more. Nothing less.

[edit on 16/10/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

There are no rising temperatures.. Even the BBC have recently done a show on this. There are no rising sea levels..we should be under water now if the models were correct.

Oh so the BBC do a TV show and tell you the sea is not rising. That's just fine so why do they report this or can't they make up there mind like many other people.

Perhaps you have to live it to believe it...
The Pacific nation of Tuvalu

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   

OOOOhhhh...

This coming from someone using propaganda as evidence?

Im have done enough research on the wider aspects of this subject so see how ridiculous most of the argument towards "global warming" is so there's no point in trying to convince me.

And yes, the BBC.. who did the truthful research into the Tower 7 collapse in 9/11 and documented a number of other truthful incites that are unsavory towards the globalized agenda.

[edit on 16/10/09 by Dermo]

<<   2  3  4 >>

join