It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air America update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
so, how is Franken's Air America doing anyway? It's not available in my market, so I haven't had the pleasure of listening to it.

We haven't talked about it much lately and was wondering if anyone had any info on it? I've read investors have pulled out, it's being dropped in certain markets, and they can't meet payroll? What gives?

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well lets see......It was pulled off the air in LA and Chicago. Why? They couldn't pay the stations to carry them. Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most RADIO STATIONS PAY for the programs they get. Hmmm!!! Makes one wonder.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I stream it from their website. The only good shows on it is 'The O'Franklin Factor' and 'The Majority Report'. They are intelligent and witty. The others are a little crass, but no where near as crass as conservative radio! I mean Rush, or Hannity, or Savage, or whatever will just get into a vein popping tirades. Well Randi Rhodes (who is great as well) goes into tirades, but she has facts to back up everything. If you don't believe her, just visit her website, decide for yourself. But it is so strange, that since the 'liberals' control the media, that this 'liberal' station is is having trouble. Big business is getting nervous.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I don't know much about broadcasting but if stations are pulling Air America off because AA can't pay stations to carry them - then I'd say that stations then don't pay for the programs they get, necessarily.
And, I�m sure �ratings� have something to do with as well.

Perhaps Franken overestimated America�s hunger for liberal radio once again proving that when Americans 'choose' their media they aren't seeking left of center views.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88

Perhaps Franken overestimated America�s hunger for liberal radio once again proving that when Americans 'choose' their media they aren't seeking left of center views.

I don't think that questioning the Iraq invasion, or Bush as President, is left of center. I think that is very center. More the reason to stop it now, doncha think?

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don't think questioning the Iraq invasion or Bush is 'right' or 'left' - as far as 'stopping it now' doncha think we can stay on topic?

Say what you�d like about Rush, he revolutionized talk radio. There might not an Air America, or any number of these other shows, had it not been for Rush. Big business would sell anything, including Air America, if it could round up some listeners.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88 Big business would sell anything, including Air America, if it could round up some listeners.

I disagree. I think big business takes it's cues from the people who are in a posistion to make them bigger, the government. For example, Cheney has said that Fox is 'More Accurate Than Others' Washington Post Does that scare you? It scares me. And it scares me that media who raise dissent have problems staying on air. Is it because no one wants to hear them? I think it is because people don't want you to hear them. Air America has had the largest streaming ever for Real Networks, just google it. That is a very big deal. Somebody, somewhere, doesn't like dissent.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well I don't know about any of that, but (jeez, do I sound like Forrest Gump?) I was looking forward to hearing the liberal viewpoint on AAR. But it just turned out to be one constant Bush-bash, and I can take only so much of that. A lot of it was inaccurate, too.

I never did hear any callers to the shows, not to say they didn't happen, I just never heard them. That's one of the things that Rush and Hannity do very well, whether you like them or not....they invite opposing points of view.

I was looking forward to their plans on the issues, esp. domestic. Too much to expect in an election year, from either party, I suppose.

Ra

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The Morning Sedition is good, entertaining even, with Chuck D.

The O'Franken Factor is wonderful, Al is a very witty guy and he knows his stuff, just as he does in his books!!

My fave though is Randi Rhodes, this lady rocks!!! She's gotta bigger set than most guys and the way she told Nader to GTFOut on her first show was pure GOLD!!!
I use to listen to Ms.Rhodes on the old RadioPower.org and she was awesome then.

I really wish they could pull Thom Hartmann over from RadioPower.org too but he's gotta good gig going!!

As for the issues, from what I've heard from relatives in Chicago & LA, the boot was politically motivated. The very right wing owners of HispanicRadio (the owner of both the Chi-town & LA stations) was coerced by their local GOPers to toss the AAR folks out. No checks bounced, as the owner had tried to blame the closure on AAR was actually about stopping the alternate voice from being heard.

You like rush-the-druggie and weenie-boy-hannity for allowing opposite voices? WTF are you talking about? They might invite somebody in, as they did Mike Malloy (formerly of RadioPower.org) only to yell over him for 10 minutes until he finally said FU and got up and walked out!!! The only time I ever enjoyed that nazibastard hannity's show... EVER!!!

As for the AAR execs leaving, that was the plan, both were only onboard for the startup until others were in place to take over. As for the cashflow issue the zillionaire Soros has stepped into offer assistance, capital & executive direction which is wonderful news. A press conf is to be called to announce the new teaming next week.

Don't be so quick to put the AAR folks to bed just yet. The infant needs to crawl before it walks, and must walk before it runs!!

By November the AAR team will be there to send off the shrub family back to crawford, to crawl back under the bush-crime-family rock!!!

Vote for freedom from the tyranical shrub regime!!!

VOTE JOHN KERRY in 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAKE BACK AMERICA, BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE... NOT THE CRIMINAL CORPORATE WEENIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Ra]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well, to each his own. Randi Rhodes never impressed me; she was always full of half-truths, rhetoric, and outright lies. I can see how she would appeal to a liberal, though: she gives voice to their frustration over being a failed political philosophy here in the US.

Plus, she has that annoying characteristic of talking with what sounds like a mouthful of spit. I'm surprised that her voice coach hasn't got her to fix that up.

This is not the first failed attempt by left-wing radio. You have to ask yourself why they don't appeal to the majority of Americans. Conspiracy theories just don't cut it. There's got to be a more basic reason.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Al Franken is alright, but I like Ed Schultz more personally...

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have yet to see a radio show that stays in the middle so people can understand both sides....

A show that would make fun of both parties ingnorance and self righteous attitudes would be great.
They both suck in my opinion.
And both of them got it wrong on social issues, foreign and tax issues. Wrong I say... Vote for me next year for president.

top topics

join