It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next apocalypse? Mayan year 2012 stirs doomsayers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
MEXICO CITY — Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on Dec. 21, 2012. After all, it's not the end of the world.

Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."

It can only get worse for him. Next month Hollywood's "2012" opens in cinemas, featuring earthquakes, meteor showers and a tsunami dumping an aircraft carrier on the White House.

More here

Think maybe the Mayan elders know a lot more than we do...

Guatemalan Mayan Indian elder Apolinario Chile Pixtun gestures as he pays his respects at an altar within the Iximche ceremonial site in Tecpan, Guatemala.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Well, obviously.

It doesn't take a Mayan to figure out the hype is because of ignorant people. In fact, being a member on ATS grants a person perfect access to information regarding the 2012 myths. It also drives most ATSers crazy, including myself.

I can't stand hearing about it anymore. It truly gets annoying after years. It just does.

FACTS: There were several mayan calendars. They all end on different dates. One ended in the 1950s. Needless to say, the world didn't end. It also didn't end in 1997 from some other prophecy. It also didn't end in 2000.

When people don't know what they're talking about, they can be afraid. Happens all the time.

If people would just read a damned book for once in their lives (one thats not about vampires) and garner some information the world would be a better place.

For the record though, the mayan culture today isn't remotely what it was back then. The Mayan elders of today know nothing about their ancestry other than what archaeologists can provide for them. They spoke spanish, as the mayan language was lost. Most of them still speak only spanish, but the mayan language (again thanks to archaeologists) is being taught today.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Thank you.....

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The Mayan elders certainly know more than we do. Is there going to be a cleansing? Surely. The "end of the world?" Nope!!

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

book it.

google it

4-13-2029

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Fella, I only have one thing to tell you,

Rev 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.
No end

The earth will be renewed, not destroyed.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's a shame that no respect is given the Mayan people, especially the Elders.

SpeakerofTruth thank you again, I also believe we will have a cleansing, if not in 2012 sometime soon after..our beautiful Gaia will always be here, not so sure about it's inhabitants.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989

For the record though, the mayan culture today isn't remotely what it was back then. The Mayan elders of today know nothing about their ancestry other than what archaeologists can provide for them. They spoke spanish, as the mayan language was lost. Most of them still speak only spanish, but the mayan language (again thanks to archaeologists) is being taught today.

The Maya lost their language to the Spanish. They must have lost a great deal of ancient knowledge when they were assimilated into the European culture. I bet the Mayan Elders don't even know why the long count started when it did. They can probably guess, but where is the written record?

The Gegorian calendar is anchored to Jesus birth. The Mayan Long Count has to have a legend as to why the countdown needed to start and then end.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Some of the 2012 theorists I think definitely have some some good observations, there is a lot to be learned from some of the theories out there. Remember, apocalypse really just means great change.

Regardless of how many good or positive theories there are out there, the media is grabbing a hold of it and turning it in to some doomsday thing for their very own ratings.

Even if all the stuff that people are saying about our consciousness raising is true and something special does happen to our consciousnesses and culminates on that special day, it is going to likely go unnoticed by the majority of people. Even if it is a serious change it is highly likely that most people will not notice it right away and 2012 will come and go and be swept under the rug in the same exact way that the Y2k bug was.

Hey wadda ya know, if it does turn out to be something 'big' with vast potential but largely unnoticed, it will surely play into the hands of the powers that be if everyone is expecting this cataclysmic event and it doesnt happen, so why not hype it up like that?

But you know. If something really is going on and the people that are working with their consciousness at this specific time in our history do feel positive effects from this period of time, maybe it is better that not everyone is turned on to this side of it.

I expect that most people are going to be 'disappointed' with 12-21-12. At the same time though, I think it has been empowering people to look deeper within themselves, and that there, is great.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Brahmanite

You are right about 12-21-12, when nothing happens there will be a thousand reasons why it didn't, of course the first one will be we got the date wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Howdy Schmidt

Right on target with your comments

One little note thou

They spoke spanish, as the mayan language was lost. Most of them still speak only spanish, but the mayan language (again thanks to archaeologists) is being taught today.

I worked around Merida and to the SE. We found that a number of the men hired to work our archaeological sites didn't understand Spanish at all or very little. They were still Maya (speaking one of the thirty dialects). Which one now escapes me. We were deep in to the scrub jungle there where schools were few and 'civilization' less so. That was the summer of 1973. I suspect the Mexican government hasn't made much in the way of educational inroads there but I may be mistaken.

Regards

Hans

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
excerpts & thoughts & a site that explores the Maya, not pop-western-culture spin on an end-date

+Ancient hieroglyphic texts and codices, the Popol Vuh, the Books of the Chilam Balam, and the works of contemporary Maya are our best resources.
"Secrets of the Talking Jaguar" by Martin Prechtel is about the VILLAGE Mayans who, again don't rely on this Solar-based calendar system.

The fact that the Mayan Long Count was based on the day the sun was in zenith in Izapa, has created a very significant misunderstanding among modern (pop-culture westerners) people, and this is that it (the Maya Long-Count calender) ends on December 21, 2012.

The particular date the sun is in zenith in this location obviously has no relevance to the rest of the world, but because of the power of tradition some will still adhere to it.
In reality, the creation cycle that began as the First Father erected the World Tree ... This day is 13 Ahau in the sacred Mayan calendar,

www2.stetson.edu...

... In spite of a general lack of familiarity with Maya culture outside the Maya homeland; several hundred Internet websites in dozens of languages and a growing corpus of books already focus on the 2012 subject.
Until recently, Maya themselves have contributed relatively little to the 2012 phenomenon since only a small number have had prior exposure to the topic.
The Long Count calendar that establishes the 2012 date fell into disuse well before the invasion of the Maya world by Spanish conquistadors and knowledge of its rediscovery by Western investigators has reached few of today’s Maya. .

*Better known as bak'tun. "Pik" is probably the ancient term (pronounced "peek").

pop-culture approved Maya calender end dates:
Callerman 28 October 2011
Jenkins 21 december 2012

i see both dates as arbitrary, as the Maya empire(s) & city states & unified culture came to it's end during the period 1511-1549 AD...
therefore the prophetic Katuns for the Maya collective, peoples became void and useless...

.i hope that the world's collective mind will help the Maya arise from the ash heap of former cultures, back into prominence on 2012 , when the next 13 Baktun (Pik) begins a new Sacred Calander Long-Count
(~ 5,125 solar years)

thanks

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Was I the only one taught in school, that the Mayan civilization just one day vanished from the earth?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Aquarius1

Was I the only one taught in school, that the Mayan civilization just one day vanished from the earth?

Yes it would appear you were! More seriously the history books I've seen on this mention the Mayan collapse after their classical age. Few note that they were still around when the Spanished showed up. However the organized cities - except for a few, were gone.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Not that I support this crazy hype about 2012, but none of the other Mayan calendars that you mention match the dates found in other prophecies of other civilizations. And none of them carry any prophecies regarding their own end date as far as I'm aware. Something that does happen with the calendar in question.

I ching for instance gives the same date from the Mayan calendar. So even though people really freak out just for the sake of freaking because it's cool and gives them something to talk about. It is indeed something odd and a interesting subject to say the least.

Will the world end in 2012?

I don't know and I don't think it will, but that doesn't free us from something major happening that will change the world as we know it.

But living over a possibility is a stupidity. We all know for sure that we will die someday something that isn't a possibility, it's certain and no one seem to care, talk or change the way they do things because of that. So I really can't understand why would people do exactly that over something that in the end can be just nothing.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I don't understand all the hype.

There are some Maya left, but the civilization basically fell apart. Do to some outside influences and because of some of their own mistakes.

If they knew anything about the future, they would still be around in full force!

Basically, they sucked at predicting their own future.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This seems to be how it goes, remember Y2K and Hale Bobb, there is always something to doom us. The end of the World has been happening any day now for thousands of years now.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
lol it is very funny to read this artical beacuase the mayans do not exsist when the spanish conquistadores discovered these ancient mayan cities they where abandened with no trace of its people just little indian tribes around them which where baffled them selfs to see these ancient cities looks like some people need to study more one this subject i should know Guatemalan myself allot of people from my parents country tend to do so they say they are mayan which in reallity they are from tribes unretated to the mayans

-TECUN

[edit on 28-10-2009 by tecunuman]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tecunuman

Thanks for the information tecunuman, it is always good to hear from someone who actually lived in the area and knows a thing or two..what about the Mayan's in Europe?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
what do you mean by the mayan's in Europe can you elaborate me with more about that? Aquarius1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join