It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

96% of Our Universe is Missing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I thought this video documentary was very very informative on the different theories behind 'dark matter', 'variable gravity' and how the physics of the average galaxy defy Newton's Law.

Get Educated. I sure did!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I find it strange that these scientists assume that they know the universe using their fancy telescopes. Then again, I guess that once we reach their elite status, we'll also get an equally big head that assumes we know how much the universe is missing.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by Unregistered]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Unregistered

did you even watch the documentary, or are you just assuming that they are all elitists?

this isn't a political conspiracy thread. this is backed by years of research from many scientists around the world.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
lol@people even pretending they know anything about what governs that which rules our universe as if we even discover 1 millionth of that which exists.

simple fact is all us humans have are guesses and wishes in theories that may or may not be real

get the # over your self centered egos and realize we don't know jack

because we haven't seen jack

till the day we explore 1/10th of what is actually out there

we are doing nothing but ASSUMING we know whats actually going on.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Another answer to "where is all the stuff that exerts the gravity that holds the galaxy together" besides 'Dark Matter/Energy' being the answer could be that our tentative understanding of gravity itself is incorrect. Perhaps a greater understanding of gravity will eliminate the need for this undetected dark matter and dark energy to exist.

I'm not saying dark matter doesn't exist -- I'm just saying that it isn't the only answer to the problem of a galaxy's gravitation.

I'm also not picking on scientists -- they would be the first to tell you that gravity is far from being totally understood. Scientists don't yet even know why matter has mass, let alone why and how that mass exerts a gravitational pull.

Physics still has a long way to go. That's not a knock on the physicists, that's just the way it is. I think science as a whole has done a pretty good job trying to explain the universe so far.

[edit on 10/15/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gakus
lol@people even pretending they know anything about what governs that which rules our universe as if we even discover 1 millionth of that which exists.

simple fact is all us humans have are guesses and wishes in theories that may or may not be real

get the # over your self centered egos and realize we don't know jack

because we haven't seen jack

till the day we explore 1/10th of what is actually out there

we are doing nothing but ASSUMING we know whats actually going on.

you think that its just some thrown-together 'guess' about what is going on, or do you have a hard time realizing that this study has been going on over the last 30+ years? just because you haven't 'seen' it doesn't mean it's not there. can you see gravity? no, but it is definitely there because it's holding you in your chair.

how about watching the video first then commenting instead of the other way around?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I have seen some shows on the science channel, going on about how they are saying dark matter or energy doesn't exist. It was more or less thought of to fill gaps they couldn't explain.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
96% of our universe isn't missing!!!

Its not been discovered. So really, what we have discovered is what we know which is 100%, from a certain point of view.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I have seen some shows on the science channel, going on about how they are saying dark matter or energy doesn't exist. It was more or less thought of to fill gaps they couldn't explain.

Yes. It's very possible that the dark matter explanation is a "place holder".

Again -- I'm not saying dark matter does not exist, or that science knows nothing. I think scientist do the best with what they know, and at the present time -- with what they know -- dark matter seems to be a good explanation for what holds galaxies together.

However "with what they know" is the key phrase here. Someday, a refinement to theory of gravity may come along that doesn't require dark matter to explain things.

Scientist will be the first to admit that what they theorize is based on what they know -- and what they know could be wrong. If you've ever read books on quantum thoery/relativity/string theory you will know that the author of the book usually says "...although this science may turn out to be wrong".

Physicist understand that these theories are not "fact", but rather "works in progress".

[edit on 10/15/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

join