It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The origins of Halloween and how we celebrate it

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I feel no desire to give out candy to the rotten little buggers that terrorize the neighborhood, and they'll be forewarned that I'll be fully loaded with my own stash of TP and eggs should the need arise.

Ahh...but the best part of Hallowe'en is scaring the snot out of the little darlin's! I downloaded Haunted Corridors by Cinema Braille from cd baby, and I'm going to set the speakers under the porch...black lights hooked up...and enjoy the fear.

And give out candy.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

They are already scared of me- nothing else required.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Again this year I will miss out on all the domestic fun and games associated with Halloween. The crew and I will be playing for a prestigious corporate soirée.

We are fortunate here in the southwest to actually have two similar holidays a week or so apart. "Dia Los Muertos" will be on the 7th of Nov.
This time the crew and I will be part of a huge multicultural show, dance, party, gala ball, funky getdown, sponsored by the city.

I'll miss the bar gigs where it gets pretty trashy on Halloween and Day of the Dead but success has it's compromises too I guess.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well I am sure you will have a good time no matter where you are. I was reading some more on Samhain (Halloween) and it seems like it was a celebration that started on the eve (31st) of the 1st of November and went on for a few days with each day having a different festival or celebration. I am starting to see why I have always been drawn to this holiday more than any other.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I thought I would bump my own thread since it's Halloween time again this month.

I posted this last year but it never went anywhere. I saw another thread on Halloween and it wasn't backed up with anything just personal opinion..People should know what it really means and why they wear costumes and do certain things every year such as the whole candy thing before they put down Halloween.There is meaning behind all of it...Do you know it?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

[size=10]YAY HALLOWEEN!!!

-TheAssoc.
edit on 6-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: Moar

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Awesome thread ^_^ Hallowe'en is my favorite holiday as well (every day is Hallowe'en for me
) Was nice to see a nice little history here

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I love All Hallows Eve myself, being a Wiccan this come natural. I also love to see Christians dressed up in the stores like a witch, this is fully as can be to me. Our town is full of fundies who are trying to ban trick or treat night because it is a "Devil's holiday," their words. Think I will dress up the whole family and go to the churches and trick or treat. Wonder how that will go over?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I love All Hallows Eve myself, being a Wiccan this come natural. I also love to see Christians dressed up in the stores like a witch, this is fully as can be to me. Our town is full of fundies who are trying to ban trick or treat night because it is a "Devil's holiday," their words. Think I will dress up the whole family and go to the churches and trick or treat. Wonder how that will go over?

Lol yeah I hear that where I live too. People only do what society tells them without knowing the history behind various holidays they celebrate and ones that they want to make into what they want. Halloween is far from an evil day which is why I laugh at those who say it's the devils holiday. When I made this thread last year I learned a lot about Halloween, it's always been my favorite holiday but I never really knew what it really meant. The actual meaning behind All Hallows Eve is actually quite interesting.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yes!
I love Halloween...it's been my fav celebreation ever.

When I was younger it was not really celebrated in my country.. but I always did celebrate it. lmao.
Over the years and with "globalization" it started to be given a bit more credit- (local bussiness saw it as a new opportunity for consummerism)...so the rest is story. ;D

It's still not a big deal as in the US-
sadly.

Well anyway- HALLOWEEN! deserves a superb party every October the 31st.

I'm always up for spooky dark costume parties.

Bring it on !!!

edit on 7/10/10 by plutoxgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Coming up to Halloween again, I thought it was a good time to get back into this thread.

Although I'm in a country that doesn't celebrate Halloween (we leave that for you Pagan country's
) it's still a fascinating celebration that I think is deserving of more understanding!!

Awesome thread, Mblahnikluver, a lot of research done on this one.

Cheers
Shane

p.s That Eiffel Tower pumpkin is amazing and awesome

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Great thread and I LOVE the pic of you and your sister. Adorable! Here's a couple of one of my favorite costumes.

I am an animal lover and would never hurt an animal, but I got this idea and couldn't let it pass. I'm a cat who's been hit by a car and my boyfriend was "Buh-weet" LOL

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Great post Mblah! S&F from me!

I had some very pertinent and meaningful stuff to say but now all I can do is stare at your avatar...

It's so hypnotic.... pumpkins....

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here's a bump cause it's almost Halloween

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
An oldie but a goodie.
Happy day.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
delete
edit on 10/31/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing so much detailed information about Halloween ,besides,i really like the photo ,two lovely kids.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyvia
Thanks for sharing so much detailed information about Halloween ,besides,i really like the photo ,two lovely kids.

Thanks I did it because I have always loved Halloween but never really knew what it really meant.

The two kids are my sister and I when we were about 4

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Since Halloween is right around the corner I figured I'd bump my thread on the origins of this holiday.

I just saw on the news how some moron law maker in Connecticut wants to change Halloween so it's the last Saturday of every month so it's easier for parents to take kids "trick or treating."

Um NO you can't just change a holiday! Halloween like most holidays is a money making day. I doubt anyone really knows the origins of Halloween and why they do what they do on this day. You can't change a holiday that is on a certain day for a reason. Hey let's change Christmas why we are at it...

Anyway, I really loved doing this thread. It was one of my first ones

Have a safe Halloween if you go out!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Great post Mblah! S&F from me!

I had some very pertinent and meaningful stuff to say but now all I can do is stare at your avatar...

It's so hypnotic.... pumpkins....

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It is that time of year again

Thought I'd bump my thread so those who want to know about Halloween and it's origins could.

Have a Happy Halloween or Blessed Samhain

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join