It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Will We Handle First Contact?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
When the subject of First Contact or Disclosure comes up, there are often claims that such an event would result in the overthrow of existing social, political or economic orders, in particular religion. Mass-panic and hysteria would grip the world and threaten to destroy our institutions. This is often cited as a reason why the mysterious and diabolical "They" keep the existence of extraterrestrials secret.

But is this the case? Would humanity be unable to handle the idea we are not alone in the universe?

There seems to be very little evidence to suggest this would be the case. The claim is speculative, reflecting the disdain those making the claim have for these institutions or humanity as a whole. I would go so far as to say this disdain is inherent in those studying the subject. There is a presumption of arrogance because we think we know something that the rest of the planet doesn't.

But there may be evidence that humans would be able to handle First Contact or Disclosure. On a recent episode of the Mysterious Universe podcast, the host discussed Princeton's Global Consciousness Project in the context of First Contact. Results suggest that...

...when the paradigm shifts, even radically and/or tragically, our interconnectedness as a species in some as yet unknown way helps us keep our equilibrium as individuals and carry on as a society.

In no uncertain terms, this is not proof of how humans behave but rather a clue. In the event of First Contact or Disclosure, there would be those who would panic. But I do not think that would reflect the behavior of humanity as a whole. Throughout history we have been able to adapt to changes in our society, be it through war, disease or scientific advancement. While it may have lead to changes over time, it does not lead to the panicked destruction of our institutions or society.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think it would go over fine. Like history shows us contact with a new civilization gets bad at the start and then we all end up sleeping with each others wives untill we are all one big mutt race like america.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
I think it would go over fine. Like history shows us contact with a new civilization gets bad at the start and then we all end up sleeping with each others wives untill we are all one big mutt race like america.

WOW you must feel relly brave picking on America!

2nd line

tsom87

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
How am i picking on america? Im american and a mutt. America is a giant mix of people.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

We're not discussing American Mutts or America here.
Please get back on topic.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I agree;
I see humanity reacting to first contact the way they would to a celebrity scandal;
Like the OJ Simpson murder trial, or Paris Hilton going to jail,
First they would be shocked, then everyone will start talking about it, and the news would just keep playing it over and over and over again;
it will be on all magazines and newspapers;
then after maybe a month or 2, everyone would get sick of hearing about it;
and go back to talking about Angelina Jolie;

Governments will be forced to start talking about intergalactic travel to other planets and trading with civilizations of other planets;

and as soon as that happens; you will see the human being, society, culture, and technology evolve very very fast,
for the better too....

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Hasn't there already been first contact? Just because they put the Harvard shrink chic on the tube to say it's sleep paralysis doesn't mean it didn't happen.

All the disclosure you're going to get is a google search for "aliens". Sorry to burst your bubble.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
How am i picking on america? Im american and a mutt. America is a giant mix of people.

Sorry M8, i do apologize. I thought you where taking a shot at USA!

On Topic -

Everybody would be shocked as hell i would imagaine. 1000x 9/11 shocked. I think anyone would find it hard to do anything, like go to work ect. If it was an Independence day sort of disclosure then it would be that way.

Tsom87

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DjSharperimage

Spot on , I was going to pretty much post the same thoughts , you just forgot the part where everybody would be telling each other " of course I always knew UFOs were ET spacecraft "

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think the GFL people would get angry because the aliens would say "you guys are nuts who the hell is the GFL and Ashtar Command" Then skeptics would kidnap our visitors and cut them up trying to debunk them

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
As pointed out earlier on, our history has shown us that when we find a new civilization we ALWAYS strip it clean of anything that is worth of value. We will not behave different this time round, should i say that we have already attempted this but failed.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I have to agree with everything you wrote. I think we can handle it. I'm sure a lot of people will panic, some will deny it, others will become violent etc. but I think the vast majority - although shocked - will be able to deal with it.

Ultimately, life goes on.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
As pointed out earlier on, our history has shown us that when we find a new civilization we ALWAYS strip it clean of anything that is worth of value. We will not behave different this time round, should i say that we have already attempted this but failed.

I heard Dr Steven Greer say that is the reason why Earthlings arent allowed to leave the solar system;
because our society isn't dedicated to peace;
In general The Powers That Be keeps society in a "war mongering race" sort of mindset.....
which is very bad for our Universal/ Intergalactic image.....
and our evolution as a whole.....

[edit on 14-10-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

But is this the case? Would humanity be unable to handle the idea we are not alone in the universe?

don't you think we need to find out what these E.T.'s are really up to or what their agenda is before you could even speculate on wether or not people would Panic ?

if their friendly then maybe the public won't panic , if their not friendly..

yes people are gonna freak out

nuff said

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
This is often cited as a reason why the mysterious and diabolical "They" keep the existence of extraterrestrials secret. (...)

Thoughts?

I think some of the rationale, to this day, behind the argument that society wouldn't be able to handle it is, erroneously, based and used as an example on the Orson Welles broadcast of the adaptation of War of the Worlds in 1938.

I say erroneously because the broadcast was clearly far from being a fair exposure to the idea of alien contact. I mean, it depicted an alien invasion, massive human causalities, martial law among other things.

What if the broadcast depicted a peaceful alien race wanting to share cultural information and knowledge?

I'm obviously not naive to the point of believing that's how things will go down, but my point is that the argument is invalid because bottom line is people just don't know how things will go down and making up an (extreme) scenario about it and using it as an argument for or against disclosure/contact is intellectually dishonest.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
Hasn't there already been first contact?

We are not talking about question marks but periods. Regardless of whether or not aliens are driving the abduction phenomenon, it is still a debatable subject. People can choose to believe or not as they will. In terms of this discussion, by First Contact I mean undeniable, undebatable evidence that we are not alone. This discussion is aimed at examining how humans would react to that kind of event.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Personally, it would depend on how they present themselves.

If they arrive and say "I am your father", then some people will bow down before them while some will blast them to kingdom come or wherever hole they came from while screaming "Infidel!".

If they arrive and say "Die Puny Humans!", then we'll get blasted into kingdom come while screaming "Allah/(insert deity name here) save me!".

If they arrive and say "Seize Him/Them!", then...

I could go on and on. It's way to early to speculate anything because honestly, we don't know anything even though some of us think that we know something while some of us wish that they were aliens.

If I'd just base it on witnesses testimonies, evidences, and whatnot then I think that first contact in the modern sense will never happen. First of all, I find these UFOs very secretive. I personally don't trust anyone that withholds secrets from me. Second, with them being this "secretive" for so long in history, they don't have any reason to show themselves to us anymore unless these aliens are actually doing the Second Coming. But that's another story that I'm not too eager to tackle.

As for disclosure... It will most likely be a disclosure of the French kind, which isn't what most of us wants to hear. But I do think a disclosure of the sci-fi kind will come if the PTB will gain a lot from it. If that isn't the case then we can run around in circles til' we kick our own faces OR until we catch our own UFO, ET, Bigfoot, Batboy, or (insert 4 letter word here) that doesn't vanish into thin air when caught.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
there would certainly be some restructuring across the board, but it really depends on how the first contact is made.

if its a few ships, tea on the white house lawn, and a relatively positive feel, then the world will more than likely grow stronger and more unified...

if its like a independence day first contact...we would be like any other nation experiencing first contact for the first time with foreign unknowns...our culture and civilization would wither and die.

First (offical) contact is a epic moment for our planet and if TPTB have been pushing this off for 60 years or so in order to get the ideas into common acceptance subconsciously (with media and such), then we have a much better chance of growing stronger and happier once its over.

I do actually believe thats why we have yet to be offically told anything...some cool sci-fi movies come out, a few odd sightings, some backwoods nation releases files, a few more movies come out, "insider whistleblowers" are released to discuss things that you can either believe, or dismiss if it blows your mind too much (but also prepares you over time as a few more come down)...we have been getting prepared for the news for several generations now.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
don't you think we need to find out what these E.T.'s are really up to or what their agenda is before you could even speculate on wether or not people would Panic ?

if their friendly then maybe the public won't panic , if their not friendly..

yes people are gonna freak out

While you do have a point, it is claimed that people will panic regardless of the intentions of the aliens. And that is the question I am asking. Whatever the intentions of the aliens may be, can humanity handle the idea of not being alone?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Well I don't think humanity as it is can agree to much so i don't see how humanity would not be able to handle anything. Some people would freak others would not. Some people freak out if McDonnalds screws up their order and some could wistle on a battle feild. So im not sure what you mean by could "we" handle contact. So when aliens come to be our friends or destroy us some will freak some will be fine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join