It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the Oceans of Jupiter's Europa Harbor Life? (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
October 12, 2009
A Great Debate: Do the Oceans of Jupiter's Europa Harbor Life? (VIDEO)

Europa's ice ocean is the most interesting extra-terrestrial cocktail outside of the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster: an entire world of water and heat. It could only be more exobiologically interesting if we detected Vulcans. Active controversy fuels spirited research into this incredible environment, with one theory explaining how the ice shell coating the planet could be pumping the ocean full of oxygen

www.youtube.com...

If Europa is nothing but water and heat my question would be with such intense heat how does the water exist?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Europa has a molten core due to gravity effects and an icy surface due to the cold of space.
In between there are oceans, which very likely could contain life.

This is a very old idea.
I recommend reading "2010" by Arthur C Clarke. It explains the idea very well and it's a great book if you're interested in life in the universe.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Europa is not "nothing but water". There is a solid rocky moon under all of the water. Nobody is sure how deep the ocean is, but it is probably at least several km deep.

The water is kept liquid due to "tidal forces" caused by Jupiter pushing, pulling and squeezing Europa. The friction caused by the pulling and squeezing may be enough to heat up the rocky part of the moon for the water to remain liquid, but it wouldn't necessarily be so hot that the water could not exist.

EDIT: MrVertigo beat me to the gravity/tidal forces explanation.

[edit on 10/13/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thank you, not that familiar with Europa but him learning.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

Thanks, I own "2010" by Arthur C Clarke, have not gotten around to reading it yet, too many books, too little time but I will in the next few months..

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

You should also read 2061: Odyssey Three, which is also by Arthur C. Clark. Its story mostly involves Europa and life there.

While (in my opinion) the book itself isn't as good as 2010: Odyssey Two, it's still a good read.

[edit on 10/14/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

You should also read 2061: Odyssey Three, which is also by Arthur C. Clark. Its story mostly involves Europa and life there.

While (in my opinion) the book itself isn't as good as 2010: Odyssey Two, it's still a good read.

[edit on 10/14/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

Will look into it, my book budget for this month is gone, have to stop doing this..

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
ive read the entire series, its really a great series of books.

I personally believe that there is life. Possibly likely quite close to the surface too

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I recently saw 2001: A Space Odyssey again, it is still an amazing movie, not like the first time I saw at Cinerama and you honestly felt like you were there, TV just doesn't do it for these types of movies.

top topics

join