It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are You a Republican or Democrat?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
EDIT- The point of this thread is not to insult anyone... but rather to propose a new idea: instead of labeling ourselves as "Republican", "Democrat" or even "Independent", why dont we just identify ourselves as "Americans"? Why don't we all just try to be the best Americans with each other, as we can possibly be? Drop the "Us Versus Them" mentality, and let us unite, once again, under the stars & stripes!

I really don't understand why people align themselves with a political faction.

In fact, it really pisses me off when anyone tells me they do belong to one.

My mother told me she would never vote for a Republican- I asked her why and she couldn't tell me.

So why do YOU belong to a political cult... er.. I mean party?

Does it make you feel whole?

Do you just like partying with your fellow cultists?

Or is it that you just like dividing up our nation into nice little herds of idiots, to make our collapse easier?

Why are you a Democrat or Republican?

Why aren't you just an American?

If you are a Democrat or a Republican, have you read our Constitution and/or Bill of Rights in 100% entirety? If not, how the hell can you align yourself to a political party out of ignorance?

Do you know the full history of your political cult?

Does your political cult make you feel like you "fit in"?

Do you hate people like me, who just call themselves "American" and refuse to belong to a political cult?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by ninecrimes]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I am an independent, leaning towards Libertarianism. I don't belong to any party, and will vote for the best candidate regardless of party.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am neither. If I had to pigon hole myself into a party that reflects my views it would be Jeffersonian.

Jeffersonian

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It's either "because my parents were X" then the child chooses X or Y depending on whether or not the child got along with the parents or simple identity marketing. Most things are petty identity/lifestyle marketing.

You perceive yourself one way or want others to perceive yourself one way so you pick that way and it consumes your life.

Chevy or Ford. Bud or Coors. McDonalds or Burger King. Republican or Democrat. It's all the same crap. The only difference is perceived image.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I am neither Democrat or Republican. I am not Libertarian, and I dislike the term "Independent" due to the particular connotation it brings to mind by vocal advocates whom I do not see eye to eye with.

I would rather be without labels in regards to politics.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

I am not really either though I usually side with the people that don't think I need them to hold my hand and wipe my ass in order for me to make it through life, so I guess that makes me a half Republican half Libertarian.

Though I do love Bill Clinton. We should have made him a dictator so he could still be in office.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Why do you assume I am one or the other?

I am neither.

The purpose of parties should be to pass certain legislation. Not to acquire power indefinitely and control all legislation.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by slimpickens93

I applaud you for not belonging to either/or. I wasn't trying to insinuate that EVERYONE is a political cultists, though I can see how it comes off as such.

The question was directed to those who do belong to a political cult, though the more people like you that respond- the better I'll feel knowing that there are more rational thinkers out there, like myself.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I feel 100% the same way...

Instead of "Republican", "Democrat", "Libertarian" or even "Independent", we should all be focuses on not only being "Americans", but "Active Americans" in the sense that we are up-to-date and active in our local political arenas.

If we were all proud "Active Americans", our country would not be in the state that it's in right now.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Like a couple or most the posters here, I'm an independent..

And probably unless a candidate is really good on either of those sides, I won't vote for either side any longer. I'm sick of the right vs left contest we have going and it makes the situation worse for everyone.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by StinkyFeet

Instead of "Half Republican / Half Libertarian", why can't you be an "American who supports the limitation of The Federal Government"?

I think the 2nd option is a bit more identifying and a bit less sensationalistic... or is the sensationalism what draws you to identifying yourself as "Half Republican / Half Libertarian"?

(I am not trying to be insulting, I'm just trying to get you to think about how I see what you've told me)

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Another registered independent here. With respect, not sure you're going to find a large number of either registered Democratis or Republicans on this site. They're here, I'm sure, but not such a large number that would warrant a thread like this I don't think... and to be honest, I haven't met many of either ilk who typify their party's leadership to be honest. I've a friend who lives in New Orleans who's registered GOP, to the tune that he actually worked for the GOP party headquarters up here back in 2000... and to say that he bucks the trend of his respective parties' lines is a bit of an understatement. He's a liberal in every sense of the word, from his lifestyle to his views on foreign policy and trade, even his feelings on the use of military power across the globe. Come to think of it, I can't really think of one thing he's done or said that would make people think him a conservative... then again, I guess that's a point. In my experience, people who align themselves with one party or another rarely typify the views held by their pundits on C-Span. Goes to show you just how out of touch the parties are not only with the American populace as a whole, but even those within their own ranks.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Aside from yourself, what do you think about people who align themselves one way or the other?

What about your friend? Do you think belonging to a political faction has helped him to develop his own thoughts / views, or do you think the label holds him back by leading him into preconceived notions about how the country should be managed?

It's not so much about "you" or "me"... but rather it's about the "us versus them" mentality that is being pushed onto us all.

I applaud you for not aligning yourself with either faction- but there are still countless others whose votes count just as much as ours, who may not be so enlightened.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
If you want to divide things into republicans and democrats, what is the difference dividing yourself in americans?

The question at hand is division. Why do we divide? Why can't we accept reality as a whole, but instead divide it to smaller pieces? We can't swallow it as a whole? Does it make it more comfortable in smaller pieces?

Division always creates conflict. You divide things into you and me, they and us, american and north-korean and so and so on.

As long as there will be division, there will be conflict. As long as there is conflict, there will be suffering. It doesen't mean anything to be a communist or capitalist; nor republican or democrat.

-v

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

"Active American" is a label though, and a none-too-fitting one IMO considering the obesity rates in America. I merely mean that I don't vote along party lines, or due to cynicism. I evaluate each candidate for their particular office on the merits of prior experience, dispositions/behavior, and potential in policy shaping, This is rather cumbersome on the years when local and federal elections coincide, however I'm generally spared this burden since registering to vote requires the label of "Dem, Rep, or Ind".

In MOST cases, I simply choose not to vote out of either lack of sufficient choices or pressure by other pollsters/citizens to sway one way or another. I tend to catch a bit of hell for this too, but the way I see it, the right to choose whether or not to vote depending on your individual criteria is similarly as protected as the right TO vote. It is when I loose that right to make my own choice, that I have a severe problem and my rights are trampled. This hasn't occurred thus far.

As for representatives, I hold no illusions that they work for me. They work according to their own initiative, as ideally they are more informed and more involved in the debates and intricacies of politics. Further, they were also voted into office by fellow citizens of my state/country who may have differing opinions and views than mine. They cannot make a career out of pleasing the public, nor should they. If we are dissatisfied with their performance - our voices are heard at the ballot box.

Getting people to vote according to their own convictions and research, rather than along arbitrary party lines coupled with the removing of lobbyists from hill would do this country a world of good. However, I doubt many Americans would see the immediate difference. Removing the "bull$h7t" factor from voters agenda and affiliation ties and focusing instead on the pertinent issues - the slack of research and knowledge about a candidate picked up by the voter as a means of educating themselves would also go a long way towards removing the lobbyists and special interest groups who fund the election campaigns too many have come to rely upon for mudslinging distractions and pulp entertainment.

And for the record, I backed Mike Gravel last election - and subsequently didn't vote after he lost the primaries.

I do tend to think I have a liberal bias to my views, but in counting the barbs and slings coming from both the left and right - it would seem an adoption of what I think works, regardless of conservative or liberal backing, makes me unpopular with both parties.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I really not familiar enough with any particular party's doctrines to say I support only that party. I am not a registered/official member of any party.

I do believe in small/limited government. I do believe in the United States Constitution. I do believe in individual liberty.

So what does that make me? A Republican Constitutionalist Libertarian Independant?

Is there a party that combines all of those?

Nevermind, I don't want to be in a party.

....as if it mattered.

Choosing sides between Republican or Democrat makes about as much sense as choosing sides between Bloods and Crips to me.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
First of all, we can not unite under the stars and stripes anymore since the stars have been removed and instead we have Obama's face where the states used to be represented.

Second, there is a difference between how one is registered and how one votes.

Third, I am a registered Republican, however I do not vote party lines.

Lastly, until a cap is placed on the amount of money that can be spent campaigning, you will always have a Democrat-Republican election.

I have been saying this for years -- if you want to level the playing field and have an election in which every candidate gets equal air time, equal press coverage, then there has to be a set amount that each candidate gets in order to campaign for office.

Otherwise, the Republicans and Democrats have enough money in reserve to continue to "buy" the election. It's rather difficult to unite behind a candidate that we have never even heard of simply because he doesn't have the resources to get his message out. Which is pretty much what happens to every other candidate outside of the republican/democratic party.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by slimpickens93
Choosing sides between Republican or Democrat makes about as much sense as choosing sides between Bloods and Crips to me.

Starred.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear on this thread..

I've gotta say, guys- when I made this thread I thought I was going to be blasted by political cultists for not subscribing to either one... but boy was I wrong, and boy am I happy about that.

Keep on keeping on- I'm liking what I'm hearing, thus far.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Good input- I've never thought about how campaign budgets & fund raising could feed the partisan system.

How would a system like that work, though (campaign budget caps)? Seems necessary and illogical at the same time...

Food for thought, at least.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by slimpickens93

Your comments pretty much sum up your most like a Jeffersonian.

Not a very active or well known party. I think a vast majority of people share these views.

I am just saying that there is a party affiliation that does share these same beliefs. I am not necessarily saying the whole party affiliation is that important.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join