It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College cutbacks make it harder to earn degrees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yahoo News

SAN FRANCISCO – It isn't just tuition increases that are driving up the cost of college. Around the country, deep budget cuts are forcing colleges to lay off instructors and eliminate some classes, making it harder for students to get into the courses they need to earn their degree.

The likely result: more time in college.

Some students struggle for places in the core entry-level classes such as composition and math because the part-time instructors who typically teach those courses are the first to be laid off in tough times. Other students are shut out of crowded core courses in their majors by upperclassmen. Some upperclassmen face an even tougher road: The upper-level classes they need have been cut entirely because they aren't popular enough.

First, Im not for sure that this is in the right forum but the mods can move it if neccesary.

Looking at the current economy/unemployment rate and how that is going downhill more and more makes me pretty nervous. Now with the decrease in college funding, many instructors are getting laid off, classes cut entirely, and a longer time to get a degree, everything seems to be going more and more downhill everyday now. I just really dont know what the future will be in 10 or more years with less people having the degrees to get some of the important jobs such as doctors. I dont see a good outcome in the near future.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Higher education is a joke nowadays. 3/4 of all degrees are worthless and have no bearing on whether or not a young person can do a job or be an obedient employee. Other than finding a job what's the point? I'm not going to spend $30K+ to let other people tell me what I need to know to be a "well rounded" person or a contributing member of society. College is a racket financially. I feel sorry for kids. They've been lied to and thrown for a loop.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I do agree with that. The prices are outrageous. 50K for certain courses/degrees along with school supplies like books and such. Its unbelievable. Im trying to get into a community college where I am and just for the core classes, (enlgish,math,science,and history) the book are almost 1,000! Plus I have to pay for the tutition and the actual classes and that adds on close to 2,000 if not more. All that and thats not even a degree, its just the basics. Im just so confused about paying outrageously for stuff that most people will need if they want a higher paying job. Money money money

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The college textbook industry is a complete rip off. There is no need to require students to use a brand new $100+ textbook every year or in some cases every semester. That's disgusting. Higher education has turned into nothing more than a bottomline business sucking kids and students dry in the hopes that one day they can enter into the "workforce" and suck the next generation dry.

top topics

join