It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant moose!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Whitewave's picture is about what a moose looks like.

I would guess that most people haven't actually seen a moose, or if they have haven't been that close.

Moose are BIG animals. I've stood literally inches from a mother moose and calf in the forest.

Accidentally understand. I'm not insane. I was following a coyote for fun in the mountains for a couple of hours. He took us for a very nice walk. He led me and my brother to a nice clearing and when we walked into it she was right there. Chest to my head. We had a nice communal moment of me telling my brother to stop freaking out while she and I understood that *we* were going to leave and not bother her or her's.

Damn coyote.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The size of a lot of animals can be surprising if you're not used to seeing them. Before I moved where I am now, i'd never actually seen a wild deer. And now I have muleys constantly trying to run me over in my backyard. They are big. or at least, bigger than I thought they'd have been.

I also nearly got trampled by an irate mother moose when I was in Alaska. Also very large animals. They smell bad too (But they taste so, so good!)

So... that picture could be shopped... but it could just as easily be completely genuine. a big old bull moose is a very large animal

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
you guys dont even know wut your talkin about! thats a giant moose! believe me i live in the mountains almost and the moose sometimes come into town and there fairly big but thats a giant! and they taste nasty! my people dont eat them!
hahaha soo maybe you should actually go into a real forrest and see wuts up.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by harmnoone

They can be extremely agressive, both cows and bulls. Every year in Alaska, the region I'm most familiar with, people are hurt by moose because they get too close. People forget they're wild animals, and as such need to be treated with respect and caution.

I know a guy who was kept treed by a moose for about 3 hours. Every time he tried to leave the moose would come back and chase him back up the tree...
. Not only agressive, but vindictive too, apparently...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

There's a reason the Native Americans considered the coyote a trickster. I hope you realize just how lucky you an your brother were...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by Aeons

There's a reason the Native Americans considered the coyote a trickster. I hope you realize just how lucky you an your brother were...

I do. And it made for an excellent adventure.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

They always do. I had the same sort of encounter with a black bear a few years back. It was the height of huckleberry season, and I was backpacking through a huge group of huckleberry bushes, picking 'em by the handful and knoshing down on them... Little did I know, big ole bear was doing the same damn thing on the other side of the bush.

Came around the corner, he came around the corner... OMG*, says I. OMG**, says the bear... We stand there looking at each other, I realize he doesn't want any trouble, I sure as hell don't...he realizes the same thing, and he heads north at a meander, I head south at something a bit faster than a meander... It was a wonderful experiance in retrospect, but not when it was happening

*translated for the tender ears of children.
**translated for the tender ears of cubs.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I think animals can have anonmalies just like people. Look at the tallest people in the world, or Andrea the giant.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnForgivenOne
you guys dont even know wut your talkin about! thats a giant moose! believe me i live in the mountains almost and the moose sometimes come into town and there fairly big but thats a giant! and they taste nasty! my people dont eat them!
hahaha soo maybe you should actually go into a real forrest and see wuts up.

Oh it is a very big moose, but not in the realm of totally unusual. The road isn't as big as it would seem, but more likely smaller side path. Therefore the perspective is probably thrown off for people.

And I think moose is very tasty.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by UnForgivenOne

Moose is actually very good. Better than any beef you're ever likely to eat. I've eaten moose on many occasions. Good every single time... That's a good sized moose, to be sure, but not a true giant. I have seen several bulls as large, if not larger, whilst I was in a forest.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
This guy claims he got a 15' moose... www.jerrysbaitandtackle.com...
I don't know how I feel about that. What do you think?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I have two thoughts on that...
1. I don't believe for a second that he shot a 15' tall, 2300 lb moose. Boone & Crockett would have been all over that if true.
2. Assuming we could also live in the guy's fantasy land where moose grew that huge, I'd HATE to have to pack that animal out of the bush. I'm guessing that would be at least 4 trips on snow machine and then at least 2 air taxi flights to get the meat, antlers, and hide to sealing and storage. A man would be looking at several thousand $$$ minimum just to get your take back to civilization.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

although it is a good size one...they do get this size...people in the north and in canada stay away, and i mean a long way, from them during rutting season...and if your car happens to be in the way, they can rip apart the body like a can opener with their rack

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

How far away is far away enough? I've heard stories of them chasing after people during the rut...

Nasty tempered critters at the best of times, but when they want to get their thing on...they're terrifyingly tempermental...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by harmnoone

Moose are extremely aggressive just to answer your question. I wouldn't get too close. You may not live to tell about it.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
RackMan/Homme panache

that guy have a couple world record.. go check his images out

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by UnForgivenOne

Moose is actually very good. Better than any beef you're ever likely to eat. I've eaten moose on many occasions. Good every single time... That's a good sized moose, to be sure, but not a true giant. I have seen several bulls as large, if not larger, whilst I was in a forest.

I have to agree with you on this one. Moose meat is my favorite, and you have got me wondering if any of my old friends are going hunting this year, and what I can do to snag me some.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Mooses Can Make Clydesdale Horses look small............He is a Big Male Moose I have A Buddy that Bow hunts moose now thats insane..........

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

HA! I know EXACTLY the understanding you had with that cow! I was screwing around once about Jr. High or so, and went running down a hill into the willow patch, and as I burst into the center of the grove, I was staring at the bottom tip of a cow's goatee, and a calf standing underneath her. I'm 6'1" btw, and she wasn't exactly standing at attention.

I pretty much turned around and left as fast as I entered and got lucky with only a good grunt and a couple warning ruts. I've seen meese up close before hunting, but not that close. (yes, I joke... Meese.) She was actually fairly young looking. Still very slender in the shoulders (for a moose).

My thoughts on the 15'er arre fake, based on the pictures alone. Typically hunters grab the rack to show the size. If I had shot that monster (and I know every other hunter out there is thinking the same thing), I would've got pictures of me sitting on the neck riding it! If ya shoot a monster like that, you are gonna take a helluva lot better pics than that. Grab the rack, straddle the neck, and lift that head up for the cameras!

The monster in the road? Who knows. I about got trampled by a 2-point buck mulie that was actually as large as an equivalent aged elk. It wasn't big because it scared the crap outa me, I had a license and no arrow ready... I KNOW it was that big because I tracked it for about half an hour trying to get a clear shot at it. Some animals get big. I'm just skeptical because, as others have pointed out, the moose doesn't change stance at all. I am NOT skeptical that a moose could get that large, though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join