It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students refuse to enlist due to 'occupation'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow a whopping 80 signatures...

If every petition with at least 80 signatures got its own news story when I was in high school we would have had our own newspaper dedicated simply to those petitions. And god forbid someone listed, free mc donalds in the cafe, water fountains with gatorade and no more homework.

If your wondering....

I fail to see an ounce of significance..

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think this is really interesting, but will only 80 people make a difference?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by malleb
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think this is really interesting, but will only 80 people make a difference?

Every thing big tends to start out small... sure 80 students is a pittance but if its put into the general media in Israel other students with similar desires or ideals who thought they were at odds with everyone else and therefore kept quite might decide to join in. Heck even if the media portrays it as a bad thing over there im sure Israel has Israeli and Arab kids who like our own in the west are rebellious enough to say "know what , sod the establishment, where do i sign".

A riot starts with a single person saying the right thing at just the right time. Not a positive comparison but im sure people will understand the drift.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
These kids give me hope that in the future even things in the middle east will change. I've been there and it's amazing that both groups would agree on something like this. They're both taught from a young age that the other is the "Devil".

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The number of 80 Students mean, jack#, A very few number of Jews are against Zionism , they are really not representative of the International Jewish Community.
The Arabs oppose Zionism in the name of arabization and many of their claims are myths such as " the Palestinian people" ; "occupation" ; "genocide" etc , whilst they call for the destruction of Israel & its people.

Misery pays. It has turned into an industry. The world opens its pockets. The “great Satan,” the country most hated by the Palestinians, the United States, which vies for precedence only with Israel, the “small Satan,” is the country that has helped the Palestinians since the signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993 more than any other country in the world. Not Saudi Arabia alone, and not the Gulf states, separately or together. Not the countries of Europe, who donate separately and not even the European Union, If the Palestinians had been fighting the occupation - they would have had an independent Palestinian state long ago, very close to the 1967 lines. But the Palestinians have made every effort to convince public opinion in Israel that the goal is not the end of the occupation. The Palestinian goal was and, for many, remains - the end of the State of Israel. Fantasy has overcome reality....after all, all you nead to do is read the hamas (the elected palastinian party for gavernoment) charter, their Charter is more than clear , they declared a perpatual Jihad against the Jews & they are opposed to peace or any kind of negociations , see articles 11, 13 & 15 of their Charter, they quote the Quran & Hadiths that are Sahih & that they will never stop harassing Israel since they consider Israel to be a Land of Waqf (Islamic faith) , that must be ethnically cleansed of its Jewish people.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The number of 80 Students mean, jack#, A very few number of Jews are against Zionism , they are really not representative of the International Jewish Community.
The Arabs oppose Zionism in the name of arabization and many of their claims are myths such as " the Palestinian people" ; "occupation" ; "genocide" etc , whilst they call for the destruction of Israel & its people.

Misery pays. It has turned into an industry. The world opens its pockets. The “great Satan,” the country most hated by the Palestinians, the United States, which vies for precedence only with Israel, the “small Satan,” is the country that has helped the Palestinians since the signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993 more than any other country in the world. Not Saudi Arabia alone, and not the Gulf states, separately or together. Not the countries of Europe, who donate separately and not even the European Union, If the Palestinians had been fighting the occupation - they would have had an independent Palestinian state long ago, very close to the 1967 lines. But the Palestinians have made every effort to convince public opinion in Israel that the goal is not the end of the occupation. The Palestinian goal was and, for many, remains - the end of the State of Israel. Fantasy has overcome reality....after all, all you nead to do is read the hamas (the elected palastinian party for gavernoment) charter, their Charter is more than clear , they declared a perpatual Jihad against the Jews & they are opposed to peace or any kind of negociations , see articles 11, 13 & 15 of their Charter, they quote the Quran & Hadiths that are Sahih & that they will never stop harassing Israel since they consider Israel to be a Land of Waqf (Islamic faith) , that must be ethnically cleansed of its Jewish people.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The significance comes into play if Israel decides to either imprison them, or let them off.

Either way its a precedent that could backfire on them badly.

Imprison them.... ? 80 sets of parents and supporters organized and making a hell of a racket, and with the internet a campaign like that will cause damage.

Let them off....... ? No punishment for saying NO. It will open the floodgates and every year that list will grow.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
80 students out of how many 1000's? Doesn't seem like much of a movement to me.
Worst comes to worst, Israel can always hire Russian mercenaries to fill the ranks. They are cheap and skilled.

For every one israeli kid who refuses to serve, obama will probably just send 500 US kids to die instead. The DC mafia will let no harm come to their precious.

Rumor has it obama was so impressed with the war tactics proven successful in southpark, he has authorized US troops to strap themselves onto the outside of idf tanks with orders to die in an orderly discipline fashion for peace.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Let me start by saying I am not a Jew by religion or ethnicity (I don't think Jewish people are a 'race'). However, same old same old. Think, think.

Yes, I feel for Palestinians and felt sadness and shock when I saw the coverage of the Israeli army in the Gaza area. BUT if the Arabic/Muslim world had really wanted to solve the problem it would have been solved decades ago.

FACT: Syria et al never wanted the problem to be resolved in a just way for all concerned because Israel can be the great Bogeyman of the Middle East. It's very convenient to have a Jewish state on which the ills of that part of the world can be blamed.

It keeps the populations of Middle Eastern/Muslim countries diverted, it focuses the energies that should be spent on making a better life for the masses and democratising on Israel instead of the failings of just about every totalitarian/authoritarian/pseudo democratic country in the Arab/Muslim world. Feed the people the notion that a country and its people are the source of their woes. It's a surefire way to keep them under your boot.

FACT: It is a sad fact that the western powers sold out the Palestinians in order to create a Jewish homeland. Israel was established by dirty tricks and violence as well as westernpowers' influence. However, that cannot be changed.

Just as innumerable people the world over saw the loss of their ancestral lands (including Europeans, Africans, Indigenous peoples in Nth America, Aus etc), so did the Palestinians. The fact is nothing will be solved by their demands to once more live in the exact places where their great grandfathers lived.

The whole conflict is stuck in this retro groove. It is going nowhere because Arab/Muslim leaders have found it convenient to have Israel as a Bogeyman, and the Palestinians unrealistic demands for return are keeping it a stagnant issue as well as the hardliners in Israel.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Wrong thread.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Says who? Says you - why? We're talking about the issue of Israel and the Palestinians as a core issue because certain Israeli students are in the news for refusing to serve in the army because of Israel's military actions against the Palestinians.

My post puts it in perspective just like the post by orik does.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

5. Long, long prison sentences is the answer. (End)
Andy , ramat hasharon (10.12.09)

11. the left in Israel must be eradicated completely! (End)
lunatic lefties are , dangerous! (10.12.09)

15. Pathetic are those cowards who mistake treason with "virtue" (End)
Ramayana , ND, India (10.12.09)

20. Put them in prison and let them serve 10 years
jason white , afula,israel (10.12.09)

28. Translation: "I'm lazy, spoiled chicken-s__t" (End)
5th generation , Israel (10.12.09)

40. Treasonous behavior
Shira , NY Be"H YERUSHALAYIM (10.12.09)

Wow, these comments from the original article are quite scary indeed.

Apparently it's treason for HS Students to disagree with their government and advocate peace.

I remember as an 18 year old Pvt (many moons ago) in Basic Training at Ft Jackson SC. During Bayonet Training about 200 of us screaming back to the instructor "KILL, KILL, KILL! BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW!"

I clearly remember thinking how wrong that felt to me. I couldn't bring myself to scream those words out loud, so I just mouthed them when I was being watched so as not to appear 'disobedient' (my pathetic personal little form of protest, I should have walked away from the brainwashing).

These kids have far more insight and courage than I ever did at 18. I wish them well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join