It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Search" Function Challenge to ATS Members.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Find the thread, Obama's Moment, using the ATS search function. I can't.

I typed Obama's Moment into the search function and scrolled through five pages without finding it.

Then I typed "Obama's Moment ipsedixit" and turned up three pages of results without the thread.

I typed "Obama's Moment ipsedixit" in the Google.ca search function and the thread turned up on the second page of results.

Is there a search function issue on ATS? Is there a way to incorporate the Google search engine into ATS?

I'm not trying to get people to read my thread but I mentioned it in another thread, assuming that it would be easy to find without going to my profile in the Member's Center. It wasn't. I had to find it myself in the Member's Center and then link to it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Found it on the first try, use the "search" button on the upper tool bar.

Google IS our engine.

Springer...

[edit on 10-12-2009 by Springer]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Honestly, I have trouble with the search function as well. I find it easier to do whatever search I was doing in goolge/yahoo and add abovetopsecet to it. However, the search function in ATS is good if your looking for a thread by a certian user

-E-

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have problems with searching and finding what I'm looking for, mentioned it several mods in the past, I put it down to the way the thread title is quoted, sometimes a word is slipped in, I find too many words makes it worse.

It can be really hard to find some threads sometimes, I have a ton of threads I meant to visit, threads I never got a chance to open before someone at home, either needed the laptop, or I had to do some DIY, to kids creating havoc.

I just about get to scour over the recent post list open one or two then that's it I have to do something else, what I need is a family holiday without me.

[edit on 12/10/2009 by azzllin]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I typed Obama's Moment into the search function and scrolled through five pages without finding it.

I found it on the first attempt using our thread title search.

See below...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/948d1e2b56fd.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Another rant,Cramer on Obama: 'It's Amateur Hour at Our Darkest ...
7 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Apr 3
Discusion about Another rant,Cramer on Obama: 'It's Amateur Hour at Our Darkest Moment' in the AboveTopSecret.com website alternative topics ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread442229/pg1

Obama to gay group: 'Still laws to change, hearts to open', page 1
8 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 23 hours ago
Obama's speech came as gay rights activists continued to lose patience over ... There are far more pressing issues at the moment than that of Gay Rights, ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread509425/pg1 - 23 hours ago

President Obama To Address Congress - Wed 9/9/2009., page 1
20 posts - 15 authors - Last post: Sep 9
9 as their first workday, so Obama is seizing the first moment when he will have max impact. (visit the link for the full news article) ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread497753/pg1
Conservatives Revel In Obama's Olympic Bid Failure , page 4
The moment I head that Brazil won out over Chicago something clicked because of all the news about Obama visiting and becoming friendly with Chavez. ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread506766/pg4

Obama Thanks Himself, Irish PM Repeats Speech in Teleprompter ...
20 posts - 15 authors
The context of that particular moment was that obama had become a president of the teleprompter, do you guys seriously not see this as a goof? ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread446748/pg1

Threats, media manipulation on Obama eligibility - We have proof ...
14 posts - 9 authors - Last post: Aug 25
A shocking expose and investigation into the media coverup of Obama's Birth .... At the moment I am not sure, but the bottom line is that we cannot access ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread495360/pg1

More MSNBC attacks on Americans: Dont agree with Obama's plan? You ...
There were members of my immediate family who actually campaigned for mccain that were moved to tears during Obama's inauguration. For many, the moment had ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread495195/pg3
Obama hand picked to lead nation into new era, page 1
12 posts - 7 authors
Think about it for a moment. McCain and Obama are neck and neck. There is no logical reason that they should even be close. A democrat should have no ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread372726/pg1

Barack Obama will be The Anti Christ, page 2
20 posts - 14 authors - Last post: Jan 27, 2008
It seems that this moment in time is Obama's turn. In 5-10 years we will have someone else who will be declared the anti christ. ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread329728/pg2

Did Barack Obama deserve to win the Nobel Peace Prize?, page 2
9 posts - 6 authors - Last post: 2 days ago
"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." -- Barack Obama ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread509152/pg2

these are the hits I get. Are any of these the one you are looking for?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

the page you display is vastly different than what shows up on my pc. I used the thread search function as well.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
right next to member tools is a search button.
once that is pressed, I click "search thread titles"
entering "Obama's moment" brings up:

Results 1 - 2 for "Obama's moment". (0.18 seconds)

Custom Search
9-11 by Iran (new war), page 13 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Feb 3
reply posted on 2-4-2009 @ 02:29 AM by ipsedixit. You might be interested in the thread "Obama's Moment". www.abovetopsecret.com. ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread451201/pg1

Above Politics Discussion Forum Topic ListObama's Moment, ipsedixit, 3, 0, 18-4-2009 at 05:39 PM. Is Obamanomics Conservative or Revolutionary? baseball101, 3, 0, 24-3-2009 at 04:46 PM ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/97/pg18/srtreplies

What is different?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
the page you display is vastly different than what shows up on my pc. I used the thread search function as well.

I simplified the search...
1st term ---> "obama"
2nd term ---> "moment"

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

thanks,

That may help in the future. I have always been too specific thinking I was helping the search engine.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Because this site uses Google Custom Search, you need to give the googlebots time to index the page.

So if the page was recently created, it could take a few hours to a few days for it to be indexed (and so part of the search results) depending on how frequently Google sends its bots.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by the siren

That is true but this site is indexed super fast. This thread is already indexed on Google. At least Springer's post is.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Yeah, I searched and got it on the first attempted also. I managed to find this thread in the Obama's Moment list as well.

~The Doo~

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm still not turning it up. I tried Obama and Moment. I tried the title of the thread Obama's Moment. I tried Obama's Moment ipsedixit.

If Springer or Sceptic Overlord has found it, or anyone else for that matter, please post the URL of the page that the search request turns up. I'm just not getting it.

Here are the terms used and the pages they led to. No Obama's Moment.. at least not on the first page.

Obama's Moment

www.abovetopsecret.com...'s+Moment&sa=Search#1042

obama

www.abovetopsecret.com...

moment

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Obama's Moment ipsedixit

www.abovetopsecret.com...'s+Moment+ipsedixit&sa=Search#1130< br />

[edit on 12-10-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
1st term ---> "obama"
2nd term ---> "moment"

I tried this and scrolled through eight pages of results and couldn't find it. Please post the URL of the listing of search results that turned it up.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
1st term ---> "obama"
2nd term ---> "moment"

I tried this and scrolled through eight pages of results and couldn't find it. Please post the URL of the listing of search results that turned it up.

I can't get it either... tried a few different variations and still end up with the 10 pages of options (same stuff you are)....

[edit on 12-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by the siren

The thread was created quite a while ago, before Obama's trip to the middle east.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

What you say is true. My search results are not like Sceptic Overloard's either. I wonder if SO is using a MacIntosh. I use one at work and the site seems a little different on a Mac.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

right next to member tools is a search button.
once that is pressed, I click "search thread titles"
entering "Obama's moment" brings up:

Results 1 - 2 for "Obama's moment". (0.18 seconds)

Custom Search
9-11 by Iran (new war), page 13 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Feb 3
reply posted on 2-4-2009 @ 02:29 AM by ipsedixit. You might be interested in the thread "Obama's Moment". www.abovetopsecret.com. ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread451201/pg1

Above Politics Discussion Forum Topic ListObama's Moment, ipsedixit, 3, 0, 18-4-2009 at 05:39 PM. Is Obamanomics Conservative or Revolutionary? baseball101, 3, 0, 24-3-2009 at 04:46 PM ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/97/pg18/srtreplies

What is different?

When I do that I get "0 Results."

I tried two terms. Obama + Moment. I tried Obama's Moment. I tried Obama's Moment , author ipsedixit.

I didn't go beyond page 1, but if you have a thread, the title of which contains two words, and you type in those two words, shouldn't the search engine turn up the thread?

Folks, Richard Nixon would be paranoid by now.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I get the same result when I do exactly the same thing.

Click this button

When the next page appears, select the "Search Thread Titles" tab, and when it looks like this:

Enter Obama in the first box and moment in the second.

You should get the result as posted by SO.

Apparently the search does not like the apostrophe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join