It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

multi-coloured flickering star seen from London, UK right now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
hi everyone
i was just looking out the window and i could see a lot of stars some even flickering, but for the first time ever i can see Wat looks like a star flickering with different colors
anyone else in London see this? or can someone explain this?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Give me your general location and the location of the object in the sky..

I'll tell you what you're looking at.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In the south east you got Sirius and Betelgeuse

In the north west you got Vega.

You're more than likely seeing Sirius though. It's the brightest object in the sky next to Venus and Jupiter, and does flash multiple colors. So does Betelgeuse.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by -NewSense-

its on the lower right (east) of the moon seen from london

and i can approximately now confirm that the colours are white green blue

[edit on 11-10-2009 by madmax8]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hmm, the only thing I see to the bottom left of the moon in London is Regulus but it shouldn't be THAT noticeable. If you meant bottom right then it is indeed Sirius. It's at the very tail end of the big dipper.

Download a program called Stellarium. It will show you everything in your sky in real time.

Edit: Ah, I see you meant lower right. Yes you are seeing Sirius. Beautiful isn't it

[edit on 11-10-2009 by -NewSense-]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I live in California in the US and just about every night around midnight I go out for a ciggerette before bed and I always see one particular star type thing that does what you describe. It very rapidly flickers between colors blue, red and white. I've seen it for the past month or so. I'm not to knowledgable about stuff in space but I've had friends tell me its probably a star exploding but I've been seeing it for over a month now!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

cool thanks i got the program and i can confirm its Sirius
it is amazing to see for the first time

i can also see mars very far away above the moon

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
I live in California in the US and just about every night around midnight I go out for a ciggerette before bed and I always see one particular star type thing that does what you describe. It very rapidly flickers between colors blue, red and white. I've seen it for the past month or so. I'm not to knowledgable about stuff in space but I've had friends tell me its probably a star exploding but I've been seeing it for over a month now!

You sir are seeing Jupiter. It's been extremely bright lately. Should be in your Southern sky. I suggest you too download Stellarium. It's a big help.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by madmax8

I did a thread on a pulsing star that was videoed over Russia a while back..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did it look anything like that?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
That distorsion in brightness, shape and color, is called atmospheric scintillation, an well known distorsion affecting objects seen through the Earth atmosphere.
And this is a basic observation for anybody which starts to raise his eyes to the sky and observe.

a starting point: en.wikipedia.org...(astronomy)

twinkle twinkle little star

[edit on 12/10/09 by depthoffield]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well, if you are in London then you would be lucky to see any stars other than the brightest due to the light pollution that afflicts any large city.

My guess is that you are seeing a helicopter, aeroplane or plimp. You may even be looking at the warning light on top of a construction crane.

Regards

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Well, if you are in London then you would be lucky to see any stars other than the brightest due to the light pollution that afflicts any large city.

My guess is that you are seeing a helicopter, aeroplane or plimp. You may even be looking at the warning light on top of a construction crane.

Regards

The object has already been identified.

..and what is a plimp?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

lol noo it was a star and london skies were clear at 4am i could see about 30+ stars
funny thing about a helicopter there was a police chase going on as well

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

just downloaded stellarium, love it, thanks

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think he meant "Blimp", Newsense...

And so it begins,, Sirius is back in the night sky and now all the "What is that blinking light" threads have started again..

Wait until Venus shows up in a couple of months. "Brightest light I've ever seen in the sky.. The sun just went down and its brighter than anything I've ever seen before.."

DOWNLOAD STELLARIUM!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kronos11

Ah yes, great video kronos. It even looks like it is moving very slowly, but i suppose you can see stars or planets moving if you stare at them long enough....

PEACE!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here's an interesting and freaky experiment:

Stare at any star (don't move your eyes away) for a about a minute. You will start to see the star move around like it's a UFO!

It's only an illusion but it will truly rock you!

Try it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinni

Yeah ive done that. I get kind sick to my stomach though.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
reply to post by Jinni

Yeah ive done that. I get kind sick to my stomach though.

When I first done it I thought there was a giant conspiracy and that all stars were UFOs in disguise! LOL

Some star looking objects are planets, space stations hell, why not Alien spaceships [or even our own secret space programme products].

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by madmax8

I've seen it acouple of months back flickering between white & red.... i'm gonna go check it out

top topics

join